Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

hows the ride on your XLR

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I've had the XLR for two weeks. I love it. But the ride isnt quite the allante. The allante is a convertible eldo as far as the ride. The XLR is a vette. I am buying non run flat tires to maybe im:beerchug:prove the ride. not that it is bad but it is not quite the Allante.

I've had the XLR for two weeks. I love it. But the ride isnt quite the allante. The allante is a convertible eldo as far as the ride. The XLR is a vette. I am buying non run flat tires to maybe im:beerchug:prove the ride. not that it is bad but it is not quite the Allante.

I have no complaints on the ride and I feel it is much better than the Allante I had. I have made three long trips with the XLR this year and my ride is very comfortable. This is coming from a man with Rhumetoid Arthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease and Nuropathy in the feet and legs. I wonder if there is a differance in the model year, mine is an 06. I thought about this before I bought mine as I was used to the 2003 DHS and the 2006 DTS Luxery III Sedans which both had massaging lumbar seats. On my most recent trip I drove from Colorado Springs to Flagstaf in 10 hours, that was exactly 700 miles. Maybe you need to have your springs and shocks checked. First Robin

Maybe it IS your tires ..... we have only had run-flats, and Lola rides like a Cadillac :)chuckle) .... we have driven her across to the midwest twice in one year's time .... once all the way from TX to San Diego in one day .... no complaints from either the pilot or the navigator ... :blinzel:

Document ID: 1688323
#04-00-89-042A: Info - Removal of Shock Stuffers During Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) - (Jul 29, 2005)

999999995.gif
Subject:Removal of Shock Stuffers During Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)

Models:2004-2006 Cadillac XLR
2004-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

Attention: This bulletin is intended for "GM of Canada" and "IPC" Dealers only.

This bulletin is being revised to add a model year, model and procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-00-89-042 (Section 00 - General Information).
Important: This bulletin only applies to Corvette models with Magnetic Selective Ride Control (RPO F55).
Shock stuffers are fitted to the front and rear shocks to prevent excessive suspension travel during shipping. These stuffers must be removed during the pre-delivery inspection (PDI), before the vehicle is driven. A yellow ribbon is attached to each stuffer to help identify them.​

If a customer returns with their vehicle commenting on a hard ride condition, it is likely that the stuffers were not removed during the PDI. Refer to the procedure below in order to remove the stuffer.
  1. Lift the vehicle, allowing the wheel to hang free. This will extend the dampers. At the front, turn the wheel in the direction away from the side being worked on. Push up on the dust boot and remove the stuffer
  2. Pull the dust boot down to cover the upper end of the shock in order to avoid damage to the suspension system.

Wow, I hope someone isn't still driving around with their shock stuffers in a 4 year old car. That would be pretty funny though.
Run flat tires will ride stiffer and noisier than non run flats.
Bruce (not the tech)

Good note Bruce. We had a C6 Vette with the magnetic ride control and even in touring mode it was way stiffer than the XLR. Even my Mom who has driven Lincolns' for 49 years thinks the XLR rides well. I have been in XLR's with 20" wheels that rode like the Vette. I think Moneypit's got a tire issue or something.

I agee wit both of you that the XLR rides better than the Allante. I have a 93 Allante (took off Z rated tires) and a 06 XLR and the XLR is the best of the two for:blinzel: rough roads and long trips. My 2 cents Doug-J

I owned a last-year (2002) Collector's Series Eldorado and loved the ride, but hated trying to park it and maneuver in tight spaces. I think my XLR rides equally well; smooth, but not "floaty". My other driveway car, -a CTS-V, rides rougher than what would be expected for a Cadillac, but isn't punishing like many vette's I've riden in. I ditched the low-milage run flats on the V and it rides appreciably better now; your car may too if the XLR is too stiff with your run flats.

CCC :wave:

Wow, I hope someone isn't still driving around with their shock stuffers in a 4 year old car. That would be pretty funny though.
Run flat tires will ride stiffer and noisier than non run flats.
Bruce (not the tech)

There were reports of some '04's not getting them removed. Since many dealerships were not aware that they had to remove them.

Bruce :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back