Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HRE 543R: Testing clearances on 2007 XLR

I'm not 100% sure, but it works for my 2007, so in theory it should work for the 2005. However, on eBay (right now) there is a upper & lower grill for the 2009, but it's the mesh grill style and not the style I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the grill you installed is made to fit what year?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

So the grill you installed is made to fit what year?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I think your asking two questions here. Will the platinum grill fit onto previous XLR and can you use just the Platinum grill itself.

The 2009 Platinum hood/grill/fascia/grill/cover (all five parts) I currently purchased fits perfectly on my 2007 XLR (that we do know). My plan was too purchase all Platinum components as a unit to prevent any issues. Logically, if components fit my 2007 then in theory it should fit 2005.

5e6d4f8d219416cea5614737de520788.jpg

However, as for purchasing the 2009 platinum grill (only) and not the other components I'm not 100% sure you can mix & match various parts.

Example: 2007 base grill:
cde3817d7dbb594e6a434b06f727bc4e.jpg

2009 Platinum:
41d0fbfcbf616adab1aeb055f7333336.jpg

Maybe the grill pitch and angle is a bit different on the 2009 vs the previous grills? The front fascia is pointed and the Platinum grill uses the complementary chrome hood piece which attaches to the 2009 Platinum hood. Hey, I'm no expert here which is why I purchased everything.

Well........ now that I see what you're saying that would, also if it worked, Solve another issue the front lip on the hood has stone chips and they want to repaint the whole hood. They cannot paint that front lip of the hood as that would be a problem making it match perfectly, but I guess the other question is does the mesh and the chrome grill, come as two pieces or is that all one? And do you have a cost of doing it the way you did it! Thanks for being helpful with this I really appreciate it!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I guess the other question is does the mesh and the chrome grill, come as two pieces or is that all one? And do you have a cost of doing it the way you did it! Thanks for being helpful with this I really appreciate it!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Prices for the parts:

dd50b4de784c240498039a20636f74e5.jpg

There are two types of front grills for the 2009: mesh (upper & rear) and the type I purchased (upper & rear).

Two mesh grills are currently on EBay now:

b9dc30b40b84f6c9ae9597fd02f1a919.jpg

852f3f82e9891338a6b9149d68f6db29.jpg

(These are the mesh style)

Last edited:
6463619f53e11a3de103fe6f22980956.jpg

3ddf62750932ada47196b7641a078d2c.jpg

So the lower front grill you installed is for a V not a Platinum and it bolted right in ? Thanks

So the lower front grill you installed is for a V not a Platinum and it bolted right in ? Thanks

According to the picture he had change the whole front bumper to a V model. If I am correct the bottom bumper is for a V
The lower half looks completely different than a Base bumper. My question would have been will that 09 platinum grill with the clip on chrome lip fit on the Base hood nose, since it's made for The V hood ( is it different?) I know I wouldn't need the bottom mesh part because that would not fit on a Base bumper they are completely different then of the V bumper!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I thought the lower bumper on the V was the same as on an 09 Platinum, just with different grills.

Sorry for my delay. The shop initial purchased the lower V/mesh grill (the wrong one). They sent the lower v/mesh grill back and ORDERED the 2009 Platinum lower grill that matches the Platinum upper (non mesh grill). The platinum upper & lower grills is what I currently have on my 2007 XLR.

The Ebay pictures are the 2009 mesh upper & lower grills.

I installed a 2009 Platinum upper grille on my 2007 base XLR. It fits but I did have to enlarge some of the mounting tab holes of the front fascia to get the 2009 grille to fit, but not that you could tell, and I can even switch back and forth so it doesn't stop you from putting the 2007 grille back in. The bottom of the 2009 grille comes to a sharper point, and it does go to edge of the bumper, but its not bad and it doesn't stick out in a bad way.

Thanks Amy

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I got a call from Michael Cadillac and part #1 has arrived and the exhaust tips are scheduled to arrive on Monday.

3f0a59ad9f7577ee8b7a62b081e7b651.jpg

Okay, I had some time off, so I headed to the Cadillac dealership parts department. I got a chance to talk to the sales rep regarding the question: well a 2009 Platinum fit onto a 2005. Basically, he said he need both vin #s and the part numbers are the same then it's a match, but if not your screwed. I told him that it worked for a 2007 so why else it should work? No clear cut answer about that other than GM doesn't mix n' match.

In other news: the XLR will need another two weeks.

c736e3caa9c0ce3e417e6d57a703fb8c.jpg

636ed8881c6edfbab82ee8e569cbf8bc.jpg

Okay, I had some time off, so I headed to the Cadillac dealership parts department. I got a chance to talk to the sales rep regarding the question: well a 2009 Platinum fit onto a 2005. Basically, he said he need both vin #s and the part numbers are the same then it's a match, but if not your screwed. I told him that it worked for a 2007 so why else it should work? No clear cut answer about that other than GM doesn't mix n' match.

I guess I'd wonder if the V hood is exactly the same as a base hood and thanks for checking into this but unless I could find a good use one I don't believe I'd spend almost grand on the front grill, but I really do love the look! Thanks again!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I guess I'd wonder if the V hood is exactly the same as a base hood and thanks for checking into this but unless I could find a good use one I don't believe I'd spend almost grand on the front grill, but I really do love the look! Thanks again!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Finding a used platinum 2009 hood or any V-hood for that matter is like finding a needle in a haystack. You'll have a better chance at finding a mythical unicorn. Come to think of it I've never personally seen a 2009. The 2009s that I have seen are always on the Internet. Lol.

During my search prior to the accident I've looked and found nothing. I did see a 2009 front fascia partly damaged on eBay and it sold quickly! Chances are if you do find a undamaged V-hood the shipping is costly and stripping the old paint is extra verses buying a new unpainted hood.

My conclusion. If you've got the cash and you got to have it then it's a nice upgrade. Otherwise, It only makes sense to replace the parts only if you're involved in a some what minor accident. That way the repair cost can offset the difference between a pre-2009 XLR's versus 2009. The 2009 parts are very costly and GM wants a pretty penny for the parts.

a3ceee99578f0952931092092857090c.jpg

I texted the Ebay seller about the 2009 side vents telling him that they do work on pre-2009 XLR. He a nice guy and he might now list the vents but with warning "careful modification to the fender they will work."

Finding a used platinum 2009 hood or any V-hood for that matter is like finding a needle in a haystack. You'll have a better chance at finding a mythical unicorn. Come to think of it I've never personally seen a 2009. The 2009s that I have seen are always on the Internet. Lol.

During my search prior to the accident I've looked and found nothing. I did see a 2009 front fascia partly damaged on eBay and it sold quickly! Chances are if you do find a undamaged V-hood the shipping is costly and stripping the old paint is extra verses buying a new unpainted hood.

My conclusion. If you've got the cash and you got to have it then it's a nice upgrade. Otherwise, It only makes sense to replace the parts only if you're involved in a some what minor accident. That way the repair cost can offset the difference between a pre-2009 XLR's versus 2009. The 2009 parts are very costly and GM wants a pretty penny for the parts.

Sorry I was speaking of a used grill like your's, but either way I'm sure that would be just as hard to find too!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Today, the 2009 Platinum exhaust tips arrived and they are beautiful. I thought about having the exhaust tip fabricated by a local shop, but due to time, cost, and the heat shield I decided not to go that route.

It's a two part system with the heat shield attached to the exhaust tip. I didn't want a build up of heat that could possibly melt my new 2009 fascia.

f66e5bd8a21ad094c0377587911c7943.jpg

Heat shield:
1839b357ad547b5fc7f0c566e4ebe2f0.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC