Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

jack it up......where?

Kennadian

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Crimson Pearl
I need to jack my baby up and change out a grille part. Where is the safest place to put the jack to get the car up to where I can put my ramps under the wheels.......too low to drive it up.

Suggestions? Kenn:confused:

Safest and first are the oblong holes located behind front wheels under car like mud flap area and infront of rear wheels. Both holes are there to accept a hockey puck like spacer that interlocks in the hole. What that does is actually keep the jack surface away from the ground effects. You can make the spacers with actual hockey pucks and they use a threaded eyelet and put it through the flat of the puck all the way through. All the eyelet does is keep the spacer from moving while jacking. Second you could jack on the cross members but not in the centers. Jack where it webs and mounts to the frame so there's a lot of material "beefy". You might be able to get a jack under the lower a arms? Or just put the front of the ramps on a piece of 2by6 about three feet long so you drive on the 2by6 first then the ramps. It should give you enough clearance clairance.

Mine is a hassle, I have to drive on one 2X6, then a 2nd 2x6, just to get a jack under it. I jack under the front middle frame support. Usually takes me more time to get it up in the air then it does to do what I need to do.

Buy some Raceramps and then you don't need to worry about trying to jack it up.

Car Ramps | Trailer Ramps | Display Ramps

Ok Cubby!
Good ideal!
Stella Thanks too!
That explains why in the manual they show to jack it up behind the front wheel BUT I don't recall seeing any thing in there about the puck size hole.
INTERESTING!!!!
Thanks!
This is why I love this forum!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

That's my next investment....Scarlett-V on top Spenser-V below!

............................................... Although some of their ramps cost as much as a lift!!!

Nice discovery

So Mike got some of the pucks to put on my car, which had been up on a lift in early Oct for a "free" oil change by the dealer we bought it from. Some time after that I had pulled out what I thought was a twig that was jammed up under the passenger side, hanging down towards the front of the car. I had wondered how on earth I had jammed something in there at that angle, & since I took some effort to pull it out, was thankful it hadn't hit anywhere else. Turns out when Mike put the puck in I had pulled off a piece from some scrap wooden door trim the dealer's guys had jammed up there as a "puck," & he found the rest of it still up in there. We both had nice visions of what damage could have been done had that worked its way out at the wrong place & time.

This plus watching mechanics at this dealer make zero effort to protect cars from oil/dirt on themselves (such as using their foot on a rag on the floor to wipe up oil & then getting in other's cars without putting any paper on the floor mats) convinced Mike that "free" costs too much. Doing the oil changes ourselves in the future.

PS: the pucks work a lot better than door trim.

Buy some Raceramps and then you don't need to worry about trying to jack it up.

That's fine if you want to get under the car but not much help if you want to remove a wheel.

I have a 3 ton jack and I have to drive up on a couple of 2x4's with the front wheel so I can get the jack under the jacking point. I put a piece of 2x4 on the jack's platform or what ever it is called, then just raise the car.

For those that do not know, there is a picture for the front and rear as to where you can jack or place your jackstands. At least there is a picture in my 2004 owner's manual.

I don't have the hockey pucks but at times, you can find them on ebay or on Corvette sites. They use them too.

Once you drive up the ramp (front or rear) it's easy to get a jack under the car if you want to remove the wheels. I do it at least four times a year just to remove the wheels and give the inner wheel a good cleaning. Doing it this way I can take both fronts or rears off at the same time, placing the car on jack stands.

That's fine if you want to get under the car but not much help if you want to remove a wheel.

I have a 3 ton jack and I have to drive up on a couple of 2x4's with the front wheel so I can get the jack under the jacking point. I put a piece of 2x4 on the jack's platform or what ever it is called, then just raise the car.

For those that do not know, there is a picture for the front and rear as to where you can jack or place your jackstands. At least there is a picture in my 2004 owner's manual.

I don't have the hockey pucks but at times, you can find them on ebay or on Corvette sites. They use them too.

Everyone needs to understand, the pucks are for the morons at the service centers. At some point everyone is going to leave their XLRs at a repair shop for maintenance or maybe something fun like Victor having his new exhaust installed. I snapped a set of pucks in the rails of Victor a few weeks ago and when I took him in for the exhaust install, the service guys were happy to see they didn't need to build up the lift plates.

I purchased the pucks from Southern Car Parts for less than a tank of gas.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/lock-corvette-jacking-pucks-p-4024.html

The pucks fall into the category of "would have, should have, could have" to keep from damaging Victor or Beauty so I bought a set for both XLRs.

Am I the only one who needs raceramps to get enough room to get a jack under the pucks?!

:(:dunno::(

:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

No I tried jacking up mine to put the new rims and tire I got for her on. I have a lo pro jack and I had to jack the rear of the car first to have enough room to get the jack under the front. I have the pucks like victor said " you'll need to bring her for service sooner or later". Knock on wood never! But I looked for a nice set of light weight lo pro ramps and found a great set on ebay. I can't remember the exact name but it comes with 4 ramps. The total height of the ramps are 3.5". They are a composite plastic and look very similar to the raceramps. The race ramps looked nice but looking at the two piece setup which is recommended for a c6 they were around 350. I can get a mid-rise scissor lift for 700. The ramps I got are the same specs,theirs four ramps instead of two and they cost 80 bucks delivered. Now I have to wait for Santa to use them:(

My Cadillac dealer has had to replace my rocker panels twice after they serviced my car. I thought after the first time they knew better but I guess they let the same clown raise it the second time. At least they did not put up a fuss for making them fix it. Both sides were cracked in the same place.

My Cadillac dealer has had to replace my rocker panels twice after they serviced my car. I thought after the first time they knew better but I guess they let the same clown raise it the second time. At least they did not put up a fuss for making them fix it. Both sides were cracked in the same place.

SrChief: What were they trying to jack on? Where was the crack?

I could not see where they were working on it. It looked like they had used a lift that had swing arms on it and they pushed up against the back of the rocker panels about 3 inches from the back. The first time I saw the damage as I waled up to the car as pieces were hanging down. The dealership then moved into a new location with all new equipment and it did not appear to be damaged until I went to Discount Tire to get the tired rotated and went out and told them I wanted to watch to make sure they did not damage it and gave them my pucks to use. The Service Advisor got down to install the pucks and turned to me and said you do not have to worry about us damaging this as it is already cracked! This time it was on the insid of the panel and looked like a hoist had pushed up against it and cracked it on the same place on both sides. The Service Manager of the Dealership took one look at it and agreed to fix it again.

Some one mentioned these pucks from a sports sales stores . Will they work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Some one mentioned these pucks from a sports sales stores . Will they work?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

They work great! Just ebay 'corvette jacking puck" You will get your choice of many colors styles and prices. I bought a set for my corvette and they were certainly a big help; however, I had a case of the dumb ass and delivered the pucks and a high-end 12V compressor with the car when I sold it.
For the corvette I also machined a custom saddle for my floor jack that fit in the "well" of the corvette jack point. This may be another solution for the XLR - I just haven't looked yet. My biggest concern is getting some ass-hat technician that is not paying attention to his job (like what happened to SrChief).

mJW6k9RxLiWq_TESggHKBpg.jpg

Thanks I need to get some I'll check them out!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry