Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Leaking Radiator at 65,000 Miles

David XLR-V

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V, Raven black
I gratefully own a 2006 Cadillac XLR V. It's not mint, but is in excellent condition and is well taken care of. But it is over 10 years old now and I expect I'll have to start fixing things that just wear out with time. One of those things just came up. The radiator. It's leaking and the diagnosis is it's needs replaced. It's not a simple process from what I understand, have to empty all the freon, take out some ac parts... About a 4 hour job.

Any other XLRs out there that started having radiator issues at around 65,000 miles?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Although I've used some kind of stop leak product in the distant past, I would hesitate on putting that gunk in a Northstar system. Maybe it's just me

I might, and it's still a might, use that in my Camry, but not my Cadi. I still appreciate the idea.

So, here's an update. Just got a call from my mechanic, and even though we ordered the radiator off my VIN number , it was the wrong one. Now I'm going to mess this next part up, but I'm going to try anyway. The radiator that he ordered only had baffles that would cool the engine. He did find the radiator that we needed, cost a little bit more, but it had the baffles that cool the engine and the transmission. I don't know if this is unique just to the V models ...? Anyway, cost went up a little bit but I'm still below the $1,600 quote I got from the dealership. To be fair, that was actually a good quote from the dealership, it's a six and a half hour job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

not verified by me,,,,

" Bar's Leaks is factory installed in 3 out of 4 new cars made in USA by such as General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler..."

Found this claim at a few automotive website..... Manufacturers don't want any leaks while the vehicle is under factory warranty..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't be afraid to use it: Stop Coolant Leaks | Heater Core Leaks

1186-PNG1.png

Bar's Leak has been around since I was a little kid. I've used it before in a couple of cars in my youth. Well worth a try when you have water showing up on the dipstick. Radiators have small enough channels, probably smaller than the coolant channels in an engine, that are waiting to be stopped up. The additive doesn't know if the small holes should be plugged or not, everything gets plugged up. It's worth a try, and certainly it works, I know. I'm in a better position to fix it right, than try to make do.
Not trying to be a SA by any means, just my experience

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back