Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Leaking radiator problem

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR, 2013 XTS Platinum Black Diamond Tricoat
So the last 3-4 weeks, my 2005 XLR(32K miles) has been leaking radiator fluid from the reservoir connection to the radiator, I think. It never leaked more then 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon when i drove, and it seemed only the reservoir was loosing fluid. I was going to bring to Cadillac next week, its not my every day driver. Yesterday, after driving about 10 miles, I filled the reservoir and left the cap off over night and the hood up in my garage. I usually do not leave the cap off, but figured I would check the level today. This morning, 5-6 gallons of fluid had leaked out of the radiator under the car onto my garage floor. Any ideas before I refill and bring to dealership?

So the last 3-4 weeks, my 2005 XLR(32K miles) has been leaking radiator fluid from the reservoir connection to the radiator, I think. It never leaked more then 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon when i drove, and it seemed only the reservoir was loosing fluid. I was going to bring to Cadillac next week, its not my every day driver. Yesterday, after driving about 10 miles, I filled the reservoir and left the cap off over night and the hood up in my garage. I usually do not leave the cap off, but figured I would check the level today. This morning, 5-6 gallons of fluid had leaked out of the radiator under the car onto my garage floor. Any ideas before I refill and bring to dealership?

Most leaks appear to be huge, but not really. The cooling system only holds 12.6 qts/3.15 gallons. Leaving the cap off shows that left to itself, the coolant will leak from the lowest spot. How much did it take to refill the system?I'd suspect something else that's located lower than the coolant reservoir if the entire amount of coolant drained out. The empty reservoir indicates a leak somewhere else and the tank is being drained into the engine itself. Are there any signs of leakage around the tank? Kinda wet and oily/slick? I'd suspect your radiator if the answer is no.

It is a known problem on '04-'05 models and the remedy is having the radiator replaced; which they now use the heavier duty V model radiator as the replacement. the '04-'05's unit leak at the tank on the drivers side.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to auto parts store now to get a DexCool and refill radiator. I will let you know how much it takes. I have appt to drop at dealer on Friday and did read all the other posts about 05 radiators having problems.

So the leak is just where you said it would be, on left drivers side radiator. So since the labor was expensive and involved to replace the radiator, had the thermostat and water pump done also. $1700 estimate including charging the AC. Car should be ready tomorrow so hopefully it stays at that.
Thanks again

Quick Connect Leak

I have a radiator leak at what appears to be the upper quick connect located on the drivers side leading to the generator. I would assume that this is the high pressure side. My question is how to properly repair this do I A) replace the quick connect? B) replace the hose assembly from the generator, C) replace the radiator? I read about the problems that everyone else has had and it appears that the majority of people replace the radiator, but that does not seem to be the problem here. Is what I am seeing on my vehicle the correct and limited problem? Thank you.

Mine was on the radiator top drivers side corner and the welds had come apart. Knew I had to change mine. I am sure someone on here will give you suggestions. This site has made owning my XLR so much more enjoyable and saved me quite a bit of money on repairs also. Good luck.

And PS, once I had the knew xlr-v radiator, new thermostat and water pump put in the car, its running great. I love in South Florida so car gets hot quickly

Quick Connect Leak

Well the verdict is in, it was a radiator leak. Took her to the garage, and they said that the radiator was split. Replaced the radiator, and she is back on the road.

XLR V to XLR radiator swap

Interesting posts just wondering what the difference is between the XLR radiator and the XLR V radiator does it really make that much difference?

"there she blows,,,,"

The coolant reservoir leaking is another common problem associated with the use of the Corvette coolant reservoir,,,,dating back into the late '90's.

From what I remember reading here when I first joined was that the original XLR radiators were having problems springing leaks. Beginning in 2006 models, the radiators were being replaced with V type radiators as there was more cooling available and the original radiators were discontinued with the V radiators keeping the same model #. There were several other cooling fittings for transmission and oil coolers on the V radiator.

maybe

I dont know about the older years when they were new but I just bought the part number listed that covers all years and the core was the exact size as the 05 That I put it in. The one tank I think was different but they do not have any more cooling ability than the original 05. Same number of tubes and same size. SO putting a v in a non v will not make it run cooler like it would seem

I dont know about the older years when they were new but I just bought the part number listed that covers all years and the core was the exact size as the 05 That I put it in. The one tank I think was different but they do not have any more cooling ability than the original 05. Same number of tubes and same size. SO putting a v in a non v will not make it run cooler like it would seem

Go back and read some of the older postings. Believe what you want

Just going to believe what I see

well .Please explain how a radiator that is the same size, has the same capacity and the same number of tubes also the same size would do anything extra to help cool an engine. Other than not leaking, and maybe the old one had some internal blockage or the fact that the fins do need to be cleaned from time to time between the a/c condenser and the radiator. Other than that . you can hope and believe what ever you want. Its the same radiator. Just new. I Just changed one last week because of the seal on the 05 failing due to age. After installing the new one, temps are down maybe 2-3 degrees simply because its clean. Being that you can only buy one part number I don't see any issue. V or non v , same radiator. period.

well .Please explain how a radiator that is the same size, has the same capacity and the same number of tubes also the same size would do anything extra to help cool an engine. Other than not leaking, and maybe the old one had some internal blockage or the fact that the fins do need to be cleaned from time to time between the a/c condenser and the radiator. Other than that . you can hope and believe what ever you want. Its the same radiator. Just new. I Just changed one last week because of the seal on the 05 failing due to age. After installing the new one, temps are down maybe 2-3 degrees simply because its clean. Being that you can only buy one part number I don't see any issue. V or non v , same radiator. period.

bless your heart..............

well thank you

As we say. Isn't he just precious

There have been at least 5 part numbers for radiators for the xlr and v. Gm changes part numbers many times when they change a manufacture to keep a record of the logistics. They may change the internal cooler from aluminum to copper so a different part number.
At present there is one radiator for all XLR's. Even In the aftermarket lines they have one part number to cover all years and models . But if you have an 04 or 05 and the original radiator, I would definitely replace it, to keep your cool

Last edited:
The return can on the radiator for my 06 Base XLR has failed. I am having difficulty Procuring a replacement that has both a transmission and engine oil cooler. Only one available only has a tranny cooler.
anyone know where I can find a suitable replacement?
the part # tag on the failed radiator indicates it is 10346017.
when checking into a sellers description of radiators with this number it does not have the engine oil cooler.

Deano

pretty much GM only to have the one with an extra cooler. I saw a used one on ebay but I would pass on buying used as its still a plastic tank that gets old and leaks. I get the aluminum double row from ebay and you have to modify the fittings on one side but its cheaper and a full aluminum one that drops temp down about 8-10 degrees. . Some people have used the cheap autozone 100$ ones with good success and you just add a little separate cooler. Be careful as that part number is sold by many but does not have both coolers. Rock auto has it about 325 shipped and thats about what new a/c delco sells for on ebay

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Good info to know.
i live in Canada so the prices go up drastically due to extra shipping costs.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom