Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Letter from Cadillac about manual access

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
Has everyone else received this letter from Cadillac concerning manual access?

It discusses manual operation of the door latches in the event of a discharged or disconnected battery. It also reminds you to review the owners manual about the access keyhole located in the rear bumper cover.

I wonder if there has been an "incident" concerning access with a discharged battery. Has anyone seen or heard anything about such an "incident"?

Attachments

• Cadillac XLR GM Letter II.jpg
    Cadillac XLR GM Letter II.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Has everyone else received this letter from Cadillac concerning manual access?

It discusses manual operation of the door latches in the event of a discharged or disconnected battery. It also reminds you to review the owners manual about the access keyhole located in the rear bumper cover.

I wonder if there has been an "incident" concerning access with a discharged battery. Has anyone seen or heard anything about such an "incident"?

We got one just the other day.

The "incident" was a gentleman who got locked in his Corvette in Texas in the summer after leaving a restaurant & died from heat exposure. He left his phone in the restaurant, & like many apparently never read his owner's manual to find out how to get out in the event of an electrical problem. So he was trapped & no one spotted him until too late. Here's an article: Texas man, dog die after being trapped in Corvette. Very horrible result.

We got a letter on my CTS Coupe, but not the XLR's. I figured the XLR's were old enough to be "abandoned" for that purpose - although Cadillac knows how to find us to send a gazillion mailings on all kinds of service we should be spending money on for them.

I'm admittedly a "owner's manual nerd," but I thought it was sad someone had to die, & then GM had to spend money on sending out letters, just because folks generally don't read those things.

Thanks for the clarification about "the incident".

It seemed to me that there must have been some event that caused the letters to go out.

Speaking of reading the owner's manual, I too have read it cover to cover. In fact, I actually purchased Crimson Pearl on a Tuesday but didn't take delivery until Friday because it rained until then. I forgot to take the owner's manual with me on Tuesday, so I read it online from this site.

Last edited:
I too received the letter. Curious to how they got the address. It was mailed to a different address other than the renewal address?
It's a cadillac letter. But the pictures were of a corvette and terrible ones at that. They probably didn't have any xlr pictures left. :(

No letter from GM on our XLR, but did get one for our Corvette..... Already understood the provided info,,,,,but I can see why GM is trying to cover their butt to the max after the man and dog died, and the story made the news nationwide.

GM Letter

Received a letter for both my CTS-V and the XLR-V. I'm sure it's GM just covering itself.

I got mine. I am also surprised as to how they found me...

Truly a shame that the gentleman died in the Corvette because he didn't read the owner's manual and familiarize himself with the manual release lever for the doors. There probably has been someone, somewhere that has filed a lawsuit over this. So easily prevented if he had read the manual and familiarized himself with the manual lever operation.

It does make sense for GM to send out a letter reminding folks about the manual door release levers in an effort to prevent other such occurrences.

Received my letter the other day. The local Cadillac dealership has my address.

No letter here and I did buy my XLR from a Cadillac dealer in Dallas. Our STS came with a DVD, maybe that would appeal to some more than reading a manual.

The newest cars have so many gadgets I don't see how you could learn all of the features and functions without referring to the manual. I would rather read the manual than a good book. In fact the first thing I do when I get a new car is order the factory service manuals and usually read them cover to cover, but that's just me!

You could purchase a device that will break out the door glass and keep it in the car. In a severe crash the door may not be operable, but the glass can easily be broken to allow exiting through the window opening.

Nothing to me yet...???

I got one for my Vette 3 weeks ago but nothing on the XLR. Canada is often behind the US in everything from GM.

I got the letter about 2 weeks after I had my XLR worked on for the first time at a GM dealership.

Might be who are getting them.

Those letters, and 're-call notices', are generated from GM/Milwaukee, WI

Got our Corvette notice on the 'door opening exit' weeks ago....still no letter on the XLR which will state the same text.

I got the letter about 2 weeks after I had my XLR worked on for the first time at a GM dealership.

Might be who are getting them.

Nope, I got a letter a week or so ago and my car hasn't been in to a dealer since I bought it last August.

I purchased Crimson Pearl from my Cadillac Dealer and she is serviced there on a regular basis, so it could be either. Or both. Who knows?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom