Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

License plates

ChicagoDave

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2018 XT5 AWD, 2010 Black CTX Wagon AWD
Jake is absolutely awsome. The Corvette has been around for 57 years thats a heck of a accomplishment and statement for any car. Thats why its an american legend and in the State of illinois the House of Reps voted it was legal to have only rear license plates. :rocker:

BTW Gizmo your rear design also is Kool.:D

Speedway:)
I did not know that, Speedway... but I bet that doesn't hold true for XLR's, does it? :dunno:

The Corvette has been around for 57 years thats a heck of a accomplishment and statement for any car. Thats why its an american legend and in the State of illinois the House of Reps voted it was legal to have only rear license plates. :rocker:

BTW Gizmo your rear design also is Kool.:D

Speedway:)

But Speedway, it has never been passed as a LAW in Illinois, has it (excluding the Corvette in requiring a front license plate)?

But Speedway, it has never been passed as a LAW in Illinois, has it (excluding the Corvette in requiring a front license plate)?
It was passed in 2005 and signed into law by the Governor that same year. Unless something has taken place since that date and they have changed it but I dont think so. I have many friends in Illinois its also my home even though I no longer live there. Let me know if you hear differently and I will contact some of them and get the low down. All these States are getting speedcams so nothing would surprize me.

Speedway

It was passed in 2005 and signed into law by the Governor that same year. Unless something has taken place since that date and they have changed it but I dont think so. I have many friends in Illinois its also my home even though I no longer live there. Let me know if you hear differently and I will contact some of them and get the low down. All these States are getting speedcams so nothing would surprize me.

Speedway
http://www.chacha.com/question/did-the-no-front-license-plate-law-pass-in-illinois

I found this really havent looked that had but CHACHA sounds sexy so i'll go with it.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Also when I went with my Corvette buddies to the Corvette National Homecoming in 2005 where they rolled out the current Z06 these guys from Illinois actually had a copy of the law and a newspaper clipping. That still doesnt mean it hasnt been changed back because of speedcams. Big Revenue for these States and there cashed strapped. My State I would bet 80% of the Police force are now revenue collectors sad but unfortunately true.:ugh:

Speedway:wave:

Speedway
I cannot find any evidence that the 2005 "law change" was anything more than a rumor (nothing I found specified Corvettes either). The latest Illinois Rules of the Road publication says this:

License Plates/Registration
Most vehicles are required to have two license plates. License plate frames should not cover any of the information on the license plates. License plates covers are not allowed.
  • passengerplate.gif
  • Passenger vehicles, trucks and vans must display two plates, one on the front and one on the rear.
  • When a vehicle is sold, the license plates should be removed and kept by the seller. In Illinois, license plates remain with the owner, not the vehicle.
  • Motorcycles, motorized pedalcycles, trailers, semitrailers and buses registered under the apportionment provisions display one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.
  • Truck-tractors and apportioned straight trucks have one license plate on the front of the vehicle.
When you receive your license plates and/or sticker, you also will receive a vehicle registration ID card. This should be carried in your vehicle or with you when you are driving.

Its basically an EXPENSE that each individual state justifies or not, I guess. Oh well.

I cannot find any evidence that the 2005 "law change" was anything more than a rumor (nothing I found specified Corvettes either). The latest Illinois Rules of the Road publication says this:

License Plates/Registration

Most vehicles are required to have two license plates. License plate frames should not cover any of the information on the license plates. License plates covers are not allowed.
  • passengerplate.gif
  • Passenger vehicles, trucks and vans must display two plates, one on the front and one on the rear.
  • When a vehicle is sold, the license plates should be removed and kept by the seller. In Illinois, license plates remain with the owner, not the vehicle.
  • Motorcycles, motorized pedalcycles, trailers, semitrailers and buses registered under the apportionment provisions display one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.
  • Truck-tractors and apportioned straight trucks have one license plate on the front of the vehicle.
When you receive your license plates and/or sticker, you also will receive a vehicle registration ID card. This should be carried in your vehicle or with you when you are driving.

Its basically an EXPENSE that each individual state justifies or not, I guess. Oh well.
I will have to see if I can find out more. However, when the C6 came out GM did not design a front plate holder. They did come out with a quick fix but not before C6 Corvettes were sold.

Speedway

I will have to see if I can find out more. However, when the C6 came out GM did not design a front plate holder. They did come out with a quick fix but not before C6 Corvettes were sold.

Speedway
The Bill was introduced 2005 and sponsored by Rep Robert Rita, House Bill 1053. My source says it was signed into law and he only has one plate on his C6. Dave you still live there call Rep rita office and ask. That is if he is still in office.

Speedway

Thanks RA, I guess that is final the Corvette must have a front plate also and I was incorrect with the post. My apolgies to all for the mis-information.

Speedway

The bill has never passed or been signed into law. There is currently another push (HB 4888) to get more state congressmen to sign onto the bill (currently at 6 members), basis is that the state could save $800,000 per year on plate production costs, by only producing one plate per vehicle. Last reading and/or sponsership was 08/26/10. Don't look for anything to happen until next years new session.

Thanks RA, I guess that is final the Corvette must have a front plate also and I was incorrect with the post. My apolgies to all for the mis-information.

Speedway

The bill has never passed or been signed into law. There is currently another push (HB 4888) to get more state congressmen to sign onto the bill (currently at 6 members), basis is that the state could save $800,000 per year on plate production costs, by only producing one plate per vehicle. Last reading and/or sponsership was 08/26/10. Don't look for anything to happen until next years new session.

Thanks Cubby ... I am assuming the current push is not just for Corvettes, but for ALL front plates, right?

That is correct. With the Dems still the majority, it may not go through, but they are looking at ways to trim the massive deficit the state has. Even saving $800,000 per year is a start!

You can google Illinois House Bill 4888 for more information.

Thanks Cubby ... I am assuming the current push is not just for Corvettes, but for ALL front plates, right?

We moved to Arizona in 1989. They have the one License Plate here however, now that they have Red Light/Speed cams the police want to change this to front and rear license plates (takes your picture and would have a picture of your plate). I am sure that if this new law is up again in Illinois I would assume the revenue there getting from the red Light/Speedcams will out weigh the $800,000 in plate production. There are many people here that want o know how much revenue Arizona has picked up since these cameras were installed. I bet its many many millions and they continue to install them in Tucson monthly. Do you know how much Illinois has increased its revenue with these Camera's???

Speedway

There are not many red light/speed cameras throughout the state.Most are in the Chicago area and revenue goes to the city not the state. The only revenue the state would be getting is with the speed cameras in construction zones on the Interstates. Illinois is in such financial mess, (9-13 Billion dollar deficit) that any savings in spending will be minimal with the current spending habits. I have sold to Illinois State facilities and it is currently taking 9 months to one year to get payment from them. I have increased my profit structure, based on this pay schedule. I am sure others are doing the same; which becomes a catch22 for the state; they are actually paying more for items because of the way they are currently paying their bills.

We moved to Arizona in 1989. They have the one License Plate here however, now that they have Red Light/Speed cams the police want to change this to front and rear license plates (takes your picture and would have a picture of your plate). I am sure that if this new law is up again in Illinois I would assume the revenue there getting from the red Light/Speedcams will out weigh the $800,000 in plate production. There are many people here that want o know how much revenue Arizona has picked up since these cameras were installed. I bet its many many millions and they continue to install them in Tucson monthly. Do you know how much Illinois has increased its revenue with these Camera's???

Speedway

I have the solution for most (if not all) of the issues surrounding red light cameras.

STOP RUNNING RED LIGHTS.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There are many upset in Chicago with these red light cameras because they are snapping photos on people who stop and then make a right turn on red (legal in Illinois, unless posted). It seems to be a flaw in the system and now is overloading the court system.

I have the solution for most (if not all) of the issues surrounding red light cameras.

STOP RUNNING RED LIGHTS.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There are many upset in Chicago with these red light cameras because they are snapping photos on people who stop and then make a right turn on red (legal in Illinois, unless posted). It seems to be a flaw in the system and now is overloading the court system.
They changed all of are red light cameras to both speedcam and red light and now they get your speed way before you get to the light. I dont run red lights. However, many do here.

Speedway

My car is black for sure, but I swear the title said star black limited edition. It has been sent to DMV now and not returned yet. When I look in the model center it says no -v cars were star black. The build sheet says 41-u black raven, and r6p premium paint. Anyone know what the r6p means in this case? When my title returns I will recheck it, but the lady at the tag office asked me specifically what star black was and I said I didn't know. oh yes 2006:rolleyes:

The lady probably saw that the Star Black model was listed at a higher price which would mean your lic plates would cost more if you pay a personal property tax like we do in Colorado. I just got my renewal notice today, this year it is only $350.34. The Lic Fee is $66.97, the ownership tax is $283.37. You can imagine what it was five years ago when it was new.

The lady probably saw that the Star Black model was listed at a higher price which would mean your lic plates would cost more if you pay a personal property tax like we do in Colorado. I just got my renewal notice today, this year it is only $350.34. The Lic Fee is $66.97, the ownership tax is $283.37. You can imagine what it was five years ago when it was new.

Keep it registered in Colorado. My 05 ran $541.80 just for the taxes this year. :pat:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom