Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Looking to upgrade stereo

MrSunshine

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Xenon Blue XLR with Chamere / Slate interior
I thought it would be simple to replace/upgrade the factory stereo. I'm finding that if I want to maintain my steering wheel controls, I'd need a special adapter, but can't seem to locate one for the XLR.
Has anyone here done this, & if so, would you please share what you did, what parts were sourced, etc.
I'd like to install a head unit with a GOOD GPS system, as well as rear view camera. (Side & nose cameras too, if possible) IMG_20180724_151557_818.jpg

Do a search here. There's plenty of information on upgrading stereos here. I did mine 2 years ago and not had one bit of trouble. Look for one of my posts from August of 2016 about Kenwood.

I thought it would be simple to replace/upgrade the factory stereo. I'm finding that if I want to maintain my steering wheel controls, I'd need a special adapter, but can't seem to locate one for the XLR.
Has anyone here done this, & if so, would you please share what you did, what parts were sourced, etc.
I'd like to install a head unit with a GOOD GPS system, as well as rear view camera. (Side & nose cameras too, if possible)View attachment 8209

As mentioned above, there's a TON of information on your inquiry on this web site--- a wealth of wisdom and experience. Unfortunately, the electronics are integrated into various systems that require some advanced technical knowledge by the installer... not a easy process. On another note, your car and its color are beautiful as is your photo-- it
is unusually compelling.... were you standing on the roof of another car... very nice, indeed... Happy day, James

Do a search here. There's plenty of information on upgrading stereos here. I did mine 2 years ago and not had one bit of trouble. Look for one of my posts from August of 2016 about Kenwood.
Initially, I couldn't find anything. But I'm not used to navigating this site. I'll keep trying. Thank you!

As mentioned above, there's a TON of information on your inquiry on this web site--- a wealth of wisdom and experience. Unfortunately, the electronics are integrated into various systems that require some advanced technical knowledge by the installer... not a easy process. On another note, your car and its color are beautiful as is your photo-- it
is unusually compelling.... were you standing on the roof of another car... very nice, indeed... Happy day, James

Thanks for the input. I want to make sure it gets done right. And thank you for the compliment on the car & photo. The setting wasn't the best. LOL! It just looked so nice under those lights. I just held my phone/cam over my head to get the angle. No roofs were harmed in the taking of that photo! LOL!

It's not much to it actually. There are no cross references for the adapters, but if you look at my original post from 2 years ago, all the parts necessary are listed that are needed. Any car stereo guy should be able to do it. And don't let them talk you into putting the stock radio in the trunk to retain anything. Not needed. The only thing I lost from the switch was the HUD telling me what song/station was playing. You'll love the backup camera and all the other bells and whistles a new head unit comes with. If you get an APP Radio from, I believe Pioneer, you can install an obd reader and have all your car's systems monitored on the screen.

If they retain the Bose amp, make sure they set it to whatever setting you like most in the DSP settings. Might be best to turn it off. And have them set all the tone controls to center.

It's not much to it actually. There are no cross references for the adapters, but if you look at my original post from 2 years ago, all the parts necessary are listed that are needed. Any car stereo guy should be able to do it. And don't let them talk you into putting the stock radio in the trunk to retain anything. Not needed. The only thing I lost from the switch was the HUD telling me what song/station was playing. You'll love the backup camera and all the other bells and whistles a new head unit comes with. If you get an APP Radio from, I believe Pioneer, you can install an obd reader and have all your car's systems monitored on the screen.

Sorry. I'm fairly new to the site. How do I find your original post from 2 years ago???

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom