Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

LOW MILEAGE - - - Good or Bad???

That was neat - there were a few other good links down the road from that article, if you clicked through them. I liked this one, especially the statement about "the hum-drum mass-market automotive coffins seen everywhere." http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-are-the-four-things-youll-need-to-own-a-cheap-luxu-1683948887

If you want to drive anything more interesting than an appliance, it's probably not going to be totally problem-free!

(Phil - are you sure you want to be reading these types of articles??)

Just hit that "x" on the tab for these articles ... do it now ... all will be well ... Ignorance is bliss!

Low mileage cars can be a real problem

Thought this was a good article and very fitting for these cars!!! GET OUT AND DRIVE EM!!
Stop Buying Old Cars With Super Low Mileage If You Want To Actually Drive Them

Phil105 - read your posting about low mileage cars and cannot agree more. Had a similar experience, now years and many cars ago, with a 1976 Cadillac Seville I bought with just 25000 miles on it in 1990. It was a beautiful car. In the 90 miles I drove it home the transmission began to leak and for the next 3-years I was fixing one leak after another in all the car's systems. No fun and expensive to say the least.

Phil105 - read your posting about low mileage cars and cannot agree more. Had a similar experience, now years and many cars ago, with a 1976 Cadillac Seville I bought with just 25000 miles on it in 1990. It was a beautiful car. In the 90 miles I drove it home the transmission began to leak and for the next 3-years I was fixing one leak after another in all the car's systems. No fun and expensive to say the least.

Yes sir - how things have changed! In the 50's/60's/70's when you bought a used car, low mileage was very important as most 40's/50's/60's car were considered "worn out" at 40,000-50,000 miles! Now it's not unusual to get 200,000 plus out of a vehicle. And leaks you mentioned - are almost a thing of the past with newer cars too - except maybe for these damned XLR's - - I notice quite a few people on this forum talking about leaks - - so far I haven't had any with my car, but I"ve only had it about 2 months now.

Yes sir - how things have changed! In the 50's/60's/70's when you bought a used car, low mileage was very important as most 40's/50's/60's car were considered "worn out" at 40,000-50,000 miles! Now it's not unusual to get 200,000 plus out of a vehicle. And leaks you mentioned - are almost a thing of the past with newer cars too - except maybe for these damned XLR's - - I notice quite a few people on this forum talking about leaks - - so far I haven't had any with my car, but I"ve only had it about 2 months now.

My current XLR is my 2nd XLR. Only my first XLR, an 04, suffered from engine oil leaks, but what I've come to learn is oil leaks are a common problems with all Northstar engines - not just the XLR. But I'm happy to report that I've been driving Northstar powered Cadillacs since 1998 with virtually no problems. My 93 Allante I drove 100,000 and the engine was flawless. My many Cadillac sedans (I currently also have an 11 DTS) have all been reliable cars requiring only routine maintenance.

My current XLR is my 2nd XLR. Only my first XLR, an 04, suffered from engine oil leaks, but what I've come to learn is oil leaks are a common problems with all Northstar engines - not just the XLR. But I'm happy to report that I've been driving Northstar powered Cadillacs since 1998 with virtually no problems. My 93 Allante I drove 100,000 and the engine was flawless. My many Cadillac sedans (I currently also have an 11 DTS) have all been reliable cars requiring only routine maintenance.

Well, I have to say I've not had the same experience. Last year I traded my 2011 F150 on a new 2014 XTS (2nd GM purchase I'd ever made behind 2004 Corvette) - drove it for 6 mos. and took to dealer for 1st oil change. Drove it back to my house (about 45 miles) and parked in garage over night. Next morning drove to town (10 miles) for breakfast. On way back home buddies called and told me there was a HUGE pile of oil where my car had been parked. Got home - and then noticed another HUGE pile in my garage where I'd parked over night - didn't notice it as I left either time. Called Cadillac dealer in Columbus and told them to come get the car which they did. Two days later I'm told the oil pan gasket was bad and was what had leaked.
I drove the car to my Ford dealer and traded it on another F150. Though I'm not a GM fan as most of you on this forum are, I do like these XLR's - and hopefully lucked into what will be a trouble-free one - as much as can be expected anyway.

I resemble this remark !

HA - - remember - A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted:D

Ah yes. The 79' Eldorado Convertible I bought this past February with only 45K original miles on the odometer, I have temporarily named The Exxon Valdez. :rolleyes:

Just finished rebuilding the steering box, R&R'd timing chain cover (installed Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Chain Set & Gears), R&R of oil pan gasket which required major disassembly and lifting the engine plus passenger side CV axle removal. New rear main bearing seal. New seals in the transmission. New radiator (4 row aluminum vs. 1 row stock), new water pump, new hoses, new fan belts. Plastic electrical switches dry out and crack and go bad. Complete through tune up, flush the fuel system. Replaced the power antenna motor. Clean the injectors, etc. Anything and everything that is in need of service and or repair is presently being done. :(

Car just 'sat' mostly for 36 years. Everything, once started and driven again, began to leak. Engine, Steering Box. Transmission, Coolant. You name it. Now, almost all has been sorted. Must finish replacing all front suspension bushings. That were dried out and cracked. Plus degrease clean and paint all components and seal them with satin clear coat over base paint as work progresses. Still need to install all new shocks and finish stripping and repainting + seal chassis underneath front to back. :) May install a new Magna Flow stainless dual exhaust system? Haven't decided yet as I also want to retain originality.

The good news? The car is very rare! Has a unique one prior owner history. Next to no mechanical wear. Is an original California Car (no rust). Is a gorgeous looking car. Paint, interior, top and wheels are either new or like new. In short, it is worth the work. At least it is to me. :cool:

Eldorado Convertible.jpg

Ah yes. The 79' Eldorado Convertible I bought this past February with only 45K original miles on the odometer, I have temporarily named The Exxon Valdez. :rolleyes:

Just finished rebuilding the steering box, R&R'd timing chain cover (installed Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Chain Set & Gears), R&R of oil pan gasket which required major disassembly and lifting the engine plus passenger side CV axle removal. New rear main bearing seal. New seals in the transmission. New radiator (4 row aluminum vs. 1 row stock), new water pump, new hoses, new fan belts. Plastic electrical switches dry out and crack and go bad. Complete through tune up, flush the fuel system. Replaced the power antenna motor. Clean the injectors, etc. Anything and everything that is in need of service and or repair is presently being done. :(

Car just 'sat' mostly for 36 years. Everything, once started and driven again, began to leak. Engine, Steering Box. Transmission, Coolant. You name it. Now, almost all has been sorted. Must finish replacing all front suspension bushings. That were dried out and cracked. Plus degrease clean and paint all components and seal them with satin clear coat over base paint as work progresses. Still need to install all new shocks and finish stripping and repainting + seal chassis underneath front to back. :) May install a new Magna Flow stainless dual exhaust system? Haven't decided yet as I also want to retain originality.

The good news? The car is very rare! Has a unique one prior owner history. Next to no mechanical wear. Is an original California Car (no rust). Is a gorgeous looking car. Paint, interior, top and wheels are either new or like new. In short, it is worth the work. At least it is to me. :cool:

View attachment 5735

Ha ha - been there, done that on SEVERAL! And yes, it is worth it - until you go to sell it!!

I haven't even read the article, and I can answer!

Low mileage, OK. Super low mileage, or virtually no mileage per year for the last umpteen years, is BAD!

Many years ago, I bought my 68 corvette. The guy selling her told me he'd only driven her about 300 miles a year since he'd had her, as had the owner before him. But did I hear what that meant? Noooo, I just saw a pretty orange car that I wanted sooo much!

Bottom line, if things should have been wet, they were dry. If they should have been dry, they were wet. I lost count of everything my mechanic replaced and how much I spent in the name of safety and stopping leaks. One day, I said "Just stop!!! I feel plenty safe now!" It was still some time later before once again I had someone tackle yet more leaks.

So....how close is my story to the article?! :lol:

Here she is. Still mine. And I best get her rolling this year so I can beat that 300 mile per year mark. :lol: (It rained all spring, and it's been over 100* all summer, but it's about time to get her out. :) )

Hooters in Houston.jpg

I haven't even read the article, and I can answer!

Low mileage, OK. Super low mileage, or virtually no mileage per year for the last umpteen years, is BAD!

Many years ago, I bought my 68 corvette. The guy selling her told me he'd only driven her about 300 miles a year since he'd had her, as had the owner before him. But did I hear what that meant? Noooo, I just saw a pretty orange car that I wanted sooo much!

Bottom line, if things should have been wet, they were dry. If they should have been dry, they were wet. I lost count of everything my mechanic replaced and how much I spent in the name of safety and stopping leaks. One day, I said "Just stop!!! I feel plenty safe now!" It was still some time later before once again I had someone tackle yet more leaks.

So....how close is my story to the article?! :lol:

Here she is. Still mine. And I best get her rolling this year so I can beat that 300 mile per year mark. :lol: (It rained all spring, and it's been over 100* all summer, but it's about time to get her out. :) )

View attachment 5746

You could have written the article!! Great looking vette!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom