Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Melted DRLs

Madmac

Seasoned Member
I have replaced one of my headlights with a newer style that has the 10 pin connector. Upon examination of the DRL lens (back side) I noticed a small bubble about the size of a pin head which appears to look like the lens is in the very early stages of melting.It is not noticeable from the front size of the headlight. In which year was this problem corrected, and would this be the same time they went from a 5 pin to a 10 pin connector. What changes were made to headlight to correct this problem.... Different lens material, larger gap between the lens and bulb? Has anyone else noticed this pinhead sized bubble perhaps it is just a moulding tab and it nothing to worry about.

Can't help you on that, but after replacing mine I am very consistent in turning off my DRL's every time I drive.
Bruce

Just guessing, but the 10 pin connector may have come out in 2006 when they added steerable headlights, probably needed more wires for the servo motors. Unfortunately that didn't cure the problem as my late 2006 year (April 2006 build date) had the same problem and finally one of the DRL lenses cracked all across it after it turned yellow. The dealer replaced that one and now I am noticing that the other one is yellowing. I turn the DRL's off now every time I start the car.

Another alternative is replacing the DRLs with LEDs. I did that, but now the manufacturer is telling me that the LEDs will burn out as they were not ment to be on all the time and can only be used as a turn signal so it's back to the drawing board.

I use my DRL's and headlamps for that matter all the time, I will take a close look at them. Is there a TSB or bulletin about this issue?

:cool:

I just leave my headlamps on "on" all the time. My headlamps are on anytime I have the car out. I think the car just looks better with the headlamps on instead of the yellow "DRL's". In fact, most of the time I also turn on the fog lamps...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom