Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Memory Seat Help

WAM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Crimson Red
I bought my XLR a couple of weeks ago and have been doing things to get it to my taste and fixing minor flaws.

The only thing that is not working is the Memory Seat function. I will check the fuse but the owners manual shows other things on the same fuse and they all work properly.

It could be the buttons but I got to guess there is some module involved.

Has anyone here had a problem with the memory seat function or does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

I'm assuming the seat moves properly, but the memory function controls a lot of other functions like the radio presets and steering wheel posistion. Are these functions working? If so, I would suspect the seat control module that is under each seat.

The driver's seat memory module is located under the seat. You'll probably need to lift or remove the seat to do a visual inspection.

Lower the top, --it will make it a lot easier to work inside, especially if you remove the seat.

Remove the SIR fuse, then slide the seat back to work on the front retaining nuts. Slide it forward to work on the rear nuts in the following steps.

Remove the four nuts securing the seat to the mounting studs (the front have plastic covers with retaining pins that need to be lifted to slide the covers forward to expose the nuts) on the floor pan, and slide the plastic cover off of the seatbelt to remove the retaining fastener. There are a couple of connectors beneath the seat. One has a blue bale that rotates to de-mate the connector and the other has orange plastic keepers to hold it together. You can pull the rear of the seat upwards and keep it there with a piece of wood or something similar.

If you want to completely remove the seat at this point:

Cover the sill plate or you run the risk of scratching it. The seat is heavy and cumbersome.

With plenty of lighting, perform a thorough visual inspection; Look for any signs of wire harness fraying or chaffing. Inspect the connectors to ensure the pins and receptacles look good and all are seated within the connector body. Inspect the seat tracks and linkages, including the worm gear(s) that drive the seat movement. Any metal shaving indicate interference or binding.

Check the connector that goes to the memory switches on the seat front. A bad switch could affect the module's operation.

If it all looks good, put it back together and test again. If the problem persists, you need a Tech 2 (available at your dealer) to scan the seat module to verify it's operation.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
CC,

Thanks for the info I will take the seat out and inspect as you suggest.

I bought a memory seat switch just in case the one I have is the problem.

Thanks again, Bill

Bill,

Would you please post a photo of your El Camino for us to admire?

Nice El Camino, I have a 65 Malibu wagon as well as a 64 Acadian Beaumont Wagon which is nearly identical to the Malibu! (Canadian GM product)

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back