Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Mesh Grille Installation - Need Help!!!!

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
I am trying to remove my OEM grille and replace it with a OEM Cadillac mesh grille....and I need help. I was able to remove the top trim piece with the tab fasteners and remove all 4 of the torx screws. My goal is to remove the OEM grille without any damage. My question is, what is holding the bottom of the grille in place. From looking at the bottom of the new mesh grille it appears that there are 4 molded clips on each side and no screw holes. Is the OEM grille/bezel attached in some way to the bumper cover? Is this an easy DIY project or should I just take it to my dealer and have them install it? Any help is greatly appreciated. I also did a search here on the forum and could not find any threads on this subject.
:cool:

I am trying to remove my OEM grille and replace it with a OEM Cadillac mesh grille....and I need help. I was able to remove the top trim piece with the tab fasteners and remove all 4 of the torx screws. My goal is to remove the OEM grille without any damage. My question is, what is holding the bottom of the grille in place. From looking at the bottom of the new mesh grille it appears that there are 4 molded clips on each side and no screw holes. Is the OEM grille/bezel attached in some way to the bumper cover? Is this an easy DIY project or should I just take it to my dealer and have them install it? Any help is greatly appreciated. I also did a search here on the forum and could not find any threads on this subject.
:cool:

I have removed my OEM grill a couple of times (to repaint/replace). The bottom row is held on by clips. I found the easiest way to release the clips is to carefully (I would put a terry cloth towel along the top of the front bumper), take a large flathead screwdriver and twist it, once slid inside next to the clip. The clips face down, so you have to get them moved UP to get them out of the hold in the front facia. I think you can see the clips from the inside.
I didn't think the OEM mesh grill (for the XLR-V) worked on a BASE XLR (isn't the top of the grill different due to a different HOOD on the XLR-V?).
Well, I hope this helps. Good luck.

I have removed my OEM grill a couple of times (to repaint/replace). The bottom row is held on by clips. I found the easiest way to release the clips is to carefully (I would put a terry cloth towel along the top of the front bumper), take a large flathead screwdriver and twist it, once slid inside next to the clip. The clips face down, so you have to get them moved UP to get them out of the hold in the front facia. I think you can see the clips from the inside.
I didn't think the OEM mesh grill (for the XLR-V) worked on a BASE XLR (isn't the top of the grill different due to a different HOOD on the XLR-V?).
Well, I hope this helps. Good luck.

The upper mesh grill works just fine on the standard XLR, you do however need the chrome lip for the hood to complete the look. I had it installed on mine and love it. In fact all of it was just replaced due to the sand blast damage from the 60 & 70 MPH winds on Hiway 50 going to Salida.

All is right with the world (for now :cool:)....Pat has agreed to give me a total refund. He was away for a few days at a Corvette swap meet and has agreed to make this issue right. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit and need to make a public apology....he is a gentleman.:worship:

All is right with the world (for now :cool:)....Pat has agreed to give me a total refund. He was away for a few days at a Corvette swap meet and has agreed to make this issue right. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit and need to make a public apology....he is a gentleman.:worship:

Glad everything turned out alright!!!:blinzel::blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back