Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

More bad news Transmission Gear Cable snapped

XLR_04

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR 4.6L
Transmission Cable snapped
it snapped so the Gear shifter moved freely...

at dealer it's going to cost $670 to fix that..

we will be making a Federal Case out of this (for both items) we asked to keep the part to hand it over to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration .
Surely they will want it..

LUCKY it was in park when it snapped.

we were on the way to a dealer about the top We had just topped off the gas tank.(since it was "low" 11.5 gallons was added)
so we had to have it dragged on the back of a tow truck.

SERIOUSLY the cable is very important EVEN IF it is in "park " IT CAN be in gear when it Snaps and CAUSE the car to suddenly jerk forward or Roll away..

there is another report on this forum where it snapped in "NEUTRAL" Gear..

For my grandpa it snapped in "PARK" GEAR

Last edited:
After running a quick errand then backed the xlr into the driveway because I had a appointment later on. Went to the car to go to my appointment and found out shifter wouldn’t shift out of park but went immediately to reverse or something like that. Heck I can’t remember exactly because it happened in June if 2015. this was back in 6/2015. So contacted onstar who then contacted cadillac roadside. They had it towed to my dealership and I explained to my service guy what happened. I have extended warranty so it didn’t cost me a thing. Except my time at the dealership. I went through my service history and found the paper and date.
9d3a9f59c3706e2b71c9b470f5aa4ce5.jpg
$420 and they also did oil change and tire rotation. Zurich authorized $506.16 Relearning all sensors etc.....
I think I posted this awhile back. Just search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cable is a normal wear-and-tear item. When was the last time it was inspected? Or lubricated? Ever? An attorney who graduated at the bottom of his class would destroy your argument without even breaking a sweat with a few simple questions.

Brake lines are a normal wear-and-tear item as well. If one bursts --is it GM's fault? Only during the warranty period. You would have to prove they were knowingly improperly designed to even have a chance at a settlement.

I hate to break it to you, but you're unlikely to gain much sympathy complaining about the "safety defects" you've discovered in your Grandfather's car. It's over a dozen years old.

From what you've described, it isn't driven often. It obviously needs to be thoroughly inspected and any worn items replaced. Some cars are more prone to failures than others, but all need regular inspections and maintenance as they age. Inspecting an older vehicle on a regular basis is part of the ownership experience.

CC

Last edited:
Did mine

one of the good things on this forum that you can read about before it happens. Mine was in good shape but for 20$ and less than 30 minutes work I replaced it with the new repair. The guy makes a kit and sells tons of them for all Gm cars so its not just xlr that have the plastic ball problem. I bought 4 kits and have repaired a couple friends car in just a few minutes. Just ordered 4 more to have on hand. As ccclark said , anything that moves on the car has a life and Needs to be looked at regularly.

Transmission Cable snapped
it snapped so the Gear shifter moved freely...

at dealer it's going to cost $670 to fix that..

we will be making a Federal Case out of this (for both items) we asked to keep the part to hand it over to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Surely they will want it..

LUCKY it was in park when it snapped.

we were on the way to a dealer about the top We had just topped off the gas tank.(since it was "low" 11.5 gallons was added)
so we had to have it dragged on the back of a tow truck.

SERIOUSLY the cable is very important EVEN IF it is in "park " IT CAN be in gear when it Snaps and CAUSE the car to suddenly jerk forward or Roll away..

there is another report on this forum where it snapped in "NEUTRAL" Gear..

For my grandpa it snapped in "PARK" GEAR

The cable is around 50$ or it was when I had mine replaced about 2 years ago. Local garage that I trust replaced it for 100$. 670 is just outrageous

Quote: " The guy makes a kit and sells tons of them for all Gm cars so its not just xlr that have the plastic ball problem"

Mickey, How about a link or more purchasing information?

Thanks in advance

p z

My story is just as good. Mine broke in a Target parking lot. Put it into Drive and it went in Reverse - glad I had my foot on the brake. $152 Towing, $535 for the fix. When the car was delivered to the dealer (it was a Thursday at 2 PM), I called the service tech to ensure the ignition was Off and the driver's window was up (Flatbed driver wanted window down to ensure he wouldn't get locked out). Dealer makes a "big deal" out of texting me twice to let me know I have a 2PM "service appointment"...Friday afternoon I call...they haven't even looked at it! Susan and I are cruising the TN River on our boat Saturday and he calls me to tell me the battery is dead and it won't take a charge - I tell him they left the ignition on, it's an AGM battery and has to be charged at 2 amps for two hours before it will take a charge. he then tells me the block needs to be resealed (I think that's about $5K) and I need spark plugs - you'd never know these guys work on commission! - I tell him it doesn't use oil and never has leaked a drop and the plugs were changed 10,000 miles ago - just fix the shifter cable! Tuesday I pick up the car, $535 as I said earlier - two days later get the AmEx charge for $595. You can't make this up. Spend a day getting that corrected with them. May have been my last trip to my once favorite Cadillac dealer in Atlanta (two Allantes and one XLR). The beloved owner's son took over a few years ago...'nuff said.

I've bought two of the plastic repair kits and will replace every few years from now on...

Last edited:
My story is just as good. Mine broke in a Target parking lot. Put it into Drive and it went in Reverse - glad I had my foot on the brake. $152 Towing, $535 for the fix. When the car was delivered to the dealer (it was a Thursday at 2 PM), I called the service tech to ensure the ignition was Off and the driver's window was up (Flatbed driver wanted window down to ensure he wouldn't get locked out). Dealer makes a "big deal" out of texting me twice to let me know I have a 2PM "service appointment"...Friday afternoon I call...they haven't even looked at it! Susan and I are cruising the TN River on our boat Saturday and he calls me to tell me the battery is dead and it won't take a charge - I tell him they left the ignition on, it's an AGM battery and has to be charged at 2 amps for two hours before it will take a charge. he then tells me the block needs to be resealed (I think that's about $5K) and I need spark plugs - you'd never know these guys work on commission! - I tell him it doesn't use oil and never has leaked a drop and the plugs were changed 10,000 miles ago - just fix the shifter cable! Tuesday I pick up the car, $535 as I said earlier - two days later get the AmEx charge for $595. You can't make this up. Spend a day getting that corrected with them. May have been my last trip to my once favorite Cadillac dealer in Atlanta (two Allantes and one XLR). The beloved owner's son took over a few years ago...'nuff said.

I've bought two of the plastic repair kits and will replace every few years from now on...

Looks like we are on Round# 2 :(

Failed after 3 uses only less then 30 miles.. (drove home)
then went to the body shop and it failed there and towed away to the dealer..

Recall seems due for this issue..

Only Reverse and Neutral this time around..

none if the drive gears did anything.
Park was Reverse
Reverse was Reverse
Neutral was Reverse
Drive (and both low and high drive) was Neutral.

We are very LUCKY for this not to happen while parked on the hill this can be very dangerous him or me could have gotten hurt.. (No air bags/seatbelts etc... when it's off)

THINKING you have it in park while it rolls away while getting in out etc...

Last edited:
problem

sounds like you have other problems. Every one of these that I have seen repaired lasts for at least several years.

Knock on wood mine hasn’t reoccurred again since 2015. But with that said I’ll stop because it might happen again. All I can say is look into a used car aftermarket warranty. My warranty company has paid for 98 % of everything that has gone wrong. My warranty is going to expire next yr (late 2018) So crossing fingers if something happens again I hope it happens soon but also hope nothing happens while I own this great/unique ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like you have other problems. Every one of these that I have seen repaired lasts for at least several years.

The transmission works perfectly I tested it and PERFECT shifts into all 5 forward Gears and perfect Reverse gear as well no kicking , no hard slamming into gear or no slipping etc....

so it's not a transmission issue it's a "cable issue " since it did work fine a few times. then broke again

My grandpa does not abuse the Engine or transmission with "TAKE offs" or burn out of the tires . it still has the same set of tires from 2011.. and the amount of tread I would still use them my self if I had those tires 10 year is the recommend by DOT to replace them by (they got the run flat so you can push it to the 10 year mark easy).

they also over charged him on the labor rate 4.0 hours while it should have been 3.5 hours like the previous poster

140 a hour(rates a bit higher in California i guess )

they also Over charged on the labor rate 143.36 while the Posted Rate is $140..(which is fair ) very sneaky of them to do that

part was 89.51+ tax

Last edited:
Sounds like the new cable wasn't installed properly and the bushing popped off one one of the ends
There's no recalls for this for as I know.

Sounds like the new cable wasn't installed properly and the bushing popped off one one of the ends
There's no recalls for this for as I know.
it's just a crappy part. poorly made garbage. shotty workmanship

I mean there is 100 year old cars that still have the original gear shifter

3 uses and 2 hours is pretty bogus if you ask me..

Last edited:
it's just a crappy part. poorly made garbage. shotty workmanship

I mean there is 100 year old cars that still have the original gear shifter

3 uses and 2 hours is pretty bogus if you ask me..

Glad you edited out your post. Don't worry, you won't have to see me on your posts again. You don't know what you're talking about

Glad you edited out your post. Don't worry, you won't have to see me on your posts again. You don't know what you're talking about
You clearly know nothing about cars anyways..

It's expected it to be done right the first time that is why my grandpa did not put the burden on a local mom and pop shop for this repair...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom