Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

transmission cable to transmission nut size

catcottf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum
Hi All,
Good evening. Just another evening in Paradise. On the way home tonight and stopped to get gas. When I went to start the xlr it would not start. The cable to transmission nut had fallen off and the trans would not go in Park. Got the threaded bolt in the cable enough to start and get in drive and get home. Does anyone know what the size of the nut and type of thread is required to secure the cable to the shift linkage. Thanks, Fred

These cables have press on plastic/nylon "nuts on each end. And are usually replaced extra as a whole new unit. There are a couple of threads here in regards to shift cables,including one of mine. One deals with just the replacement of the the retaining nuts

Hi,
Good morning. Just another sunny day in Paradise. Thank you for the response. This morning when it was light I lifted the car and blocked it and got under it so I could see. Amazing how much better you can see in the light. It is as you describe. I called the caddy dealer and he said you have to buy the whole cable to get the retainer. I am thinking I can fix it with a washer and a different type retainer. Will get back to you after work and I get home to play with it. Thanks again for the reply.
Fred

Hi,
Good morning. Just another sunny day in Paradise. Thank you for the response. This morning when it was light I lifted the car and blocked it and got under it so I could see. Amazing how much better you can see in the light. It is as you describe. I called the caddy dealer and he said you have to buy the whole cable to get the retainer. I am thinking I can fix it with a washer and a different type retainer. Will get back to you after work and I get home to play with it. Thanks again for the reply.
Fred
hi, you should replace the cable because the other end at the shifter has the same type plastic grommet as the tranny end. the plastic dries from heat and age.there's a shop in texas that makes a brass sleeve/w a pin that u can just replace the plastic grommets and use the orig. cable. I sent my cable to texas [cant remember the name I think I got from corvette forum] the corvette ends are a little diff. than the xlr that's y I sent them the whole cable. problem: did not hear from them? called several times, said it was on boss's desk? have not heard anything in a year,maybe not enough xlrs. I believe most cable plastic grommets will fail given time. hope this helps. ps the cable part is fine it's the plastic ends.:dunno:

If you want to go on the cheap, O'Reilly's sells the plastic/nylon grommets in a kit. About a couple of bucks. If you replace one, you should replace the other one as well. They're just a press on fit once you get it in the cable's end.

Hi...how do you access the cable and nuts

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hi...how do you access the cable and nuts

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

There's a exhaust crossover pipe that must be removed, then the body stiffener plate that has 30 some odd bolts to remove, then it's easy access to the shifter end of the cable. Transmission end is not covered, but it seems most of the cables that go belly up are the ones at the shifter due to the heat generated by the exhaust

Hi All,
Good afternoon from the Lake of the Ozarks. Just another day in Paradise. Ok, it seems most folks have problems with both ends of the cable giving out. Also, there are several posts of the cable breaking around the 25,000 35,000 mile mark. I am creeping up on 40,000 miles so have decided to go with a whole new cable. This should last for several years. If the cable breaks you would be stuck for sure. Thanks for everyone's comments. Have a nice weekend.
Fred

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back