Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Motor Mount Replacmeent

Jeffputts

My XLR/V(s)
2004 xlr
Hey ya'll just had my 04 with 54k miles in for an inspection and the mechanic advised that my motor mounts both leaked fluid and need to be replaced at a tune of about $1,000, 7hrs labor plus parts. Is this right? I've done mounts on cars before and not a huge deal. I have a parking lift in my garage and plenty of jacks to lift the motor if need be. Anyone replace them before or have any guidance?

Howdy - welcome!

I've never done it on a XLR but as you, on lots of other cars. A thousand bucks?! I just looked at RockAuto and at least a couple of mounts are peanuts cost-wise, so while it's probably not going to be a super fun job, I would definitely do it myself if you have the space to lay it up for a day or three. Here's hoping someone else can chime in with real-life experience for you.

Oh, and don't forget to list your car in the registry if you haven't done so already. ;)

HTH!

Gord ;)

that's pretty strong money. that's time is almost engine removal and replacement time. the studs do look a little long on the mounts which run 20-40 each. its going to be a combo of blocking the engine then letting the car down a bit plus loosening the crossmember one side at a time to wiggle them out. I have not done this job. replaced several crossmembers and I can swap the whole cossmember in about 1/2 that time so once its out the mount would be easy to replace. I did not realize they are fluid mounts. look small compared to BMW and Mercedes fluid mounts.

Howdy - welcome!

I've never done it on a XLR but as you, on lots of other cars. A thousand bucks?! I just looked at RockAuto and at least a couple of mounts are peanuts cost-wise, so while it's probably not going to be a super fun job, I would definitely do it myself if you have the space to lay it up for a day or three. Here's hoping someone else can chime in with real-life experience for you.

Oh, and don't forget to list your car in the registry if you haven't done so already. ;)

HTH!

Gord ;)

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of anyone needing to replace the motor mounts on a XLR, it’s also the first time ever I have even heard of motor mount with fluid that leaks! If it’s all bolted together what’s gonna happen if the mount does leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wager the XLR mounts are hydraulic, just like many, many cars today.

Pretty understandable article here: ADINA - News - worth a look-see. ;)

Just like a blown shock absorber, things will not feel right and abnormal vibrations may occur. And with an engine, there's a fair chance it'll 'tip' or 'fall' depending how bad the mount is, and that can cause other issues like things banging in to other things (noise and damage).

If you've lived your life on velvet smooth roads, sure, you may have not encountered such an issue. Up this way (northern North America at least), the roads suffer badly from the temp changes (get pretty choppy) so it really isn't uncommon, especially for vehicles used all year round. That's a pretty big lump of metal getting pitched and rolled around not only by its own forces but those passed back to it by the chassis. :)

leaky motor mount.jpg apparently this. haha I have not seen one leak either. The corvettes use the same ones or at least the same style and I was correct above. some guys said they did theirs in an hour .looks like they like to replace them with a more solid bushing type. I will have to look but the aluminum mount on the engine block may be easy to remove then the rubber mount comes with it.

:thumbsup Welcome, newbie Jeff,,,

I'd get two more opinions and estimates from reliable, honest repair shops if it was me.

Good luck

Jeffputts.

Replacing the engine mounts is usely not that hard to do, however since the XLR engine is deep within the chassis of the car, little room is available to work .

As you can see on the next image of RH side of the engine is the A/C compressor that will be on your way and on the LH it would be the generator ( alternator )

Also the manifolds are close to the engine leaving almost no space, lowered or removing the crossmember is the solution.

If your engine mounts are dry, it could means that there is no real leaks, the photo of sally indicate one with a leak, that is obvious.

The dealer labor rate is usely very hi and the parts also, is a 1000$ a good deal NO, however they have the parts, the proper toosl and a warranty, that could ended finally one way to go.

Good Luck.

IAN :wave:

A2   0303036Y00-007[1].jpgSans titre.jpg

thanks for the replies all, i didnt see any fluid leaks nor does the engine vibrate abnormally, looks like this mechanic was trying to take me for a ride...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom