Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Motor Trend Tests--A Surprise

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V
Has anyone seen the Oct. Motor Trend?

They tested 10 "Thrill Rides." I think the test may have been fair, but the results were surprising. At least to me.

Floyd (BB)

Go figure! Corvette ZR1 cleans everyones clock on the track in every category, but finishes 6th. Miata came in 3rd. I thought Car & Driver wrote article.

I quit subscribing to the auto magazines a few years ago when they started to despise anything domestic and love anything imported. I think the articles are written by the manufacturers and advertisers.... and the foreign ones probably pay more, so........

They don't care how good the car actually is; they care about how good the parties and excursions are that the manufacturer's give them to test the cars on. Automakers should be able to give them a car and say "drive it!" rather than be coerced into renting (or sending "journalists") to exotic or expensive locations just to get a mediocre review.

No one writes anything objectively anymore. :(

Now who put that soapbox under my feet?!?

I quit subscribing to the auto magazines a few years ago when they started to despise anything domestic and love anything imported. I think the articles are written by the manufacturers and advertisers.... and the foreign ones probably pay more, so........

They don't care how good the car actually is; they care about how good the parties and excursions are that the manufacturer's give them to test the cars on. Automakers should be able to give them a car and say "drive it!" rather than be coerced into renting (or sending "journalists") to exotic or expensive locations just to get a mediocre review.

No one writes anything objectively anymore. :(

Now who put that soapbox under my feet?!?
I agree with you Homegrown. Alot of people keep saying the same thing. :ugh:

You are correct. I currently subscribe to Road & Track (not to bad) and Automobile (absolutely horrible). I told Automobile to keep my money, but please stop sending the magazine, they keep sending it I think to torture me.

It would also be nice if the bias toward track performance didn't always trump touring performance. My Corvette is a sports car my XLR is a luxury roadster. One isn't better than the other, they are just different.

Also, please forgive my rant.

Uintah

You are correct. I currently subscribe to Road & Track (not to bad) and Automobile (absolutely horrible). I told Automobile to keep my money, but please stop sending the magazine, they keep sending it I think to torture me.

It would also be nice if the bias toward track performance didn't always trump touring performance. My Corvette is a sports car my XLR is a luxury roadster. One isn't better than the other, they are just different.

Also, please forgive my rant.

Uintah
No need to ask for forgiveness. We enjoy rants here. Welcome aboard. :patriot:

AMEN!!!!!!! The magazines don't seem to realize that!

In defense of Motor Trend they were testing "Thrill Rides."

I just found the results kinda hard to swallow.

Just so everyone can see the results here they are:

1. Porsche Cayman S PDK
2. Audi R8
3. Mazda MX-5 Miata
4. Caddy CTS-V
5. Shelby GT500 (2010)
6. Vette ZR1
7. Nissan Nismo 370Z (2010)
8. Jag XFR (2010)
9. BMW 135i
10. Camaro SS (2010)

Floyd (BB)

No offense to you, but offense to Motor Trend, anyone that believes a Mazda Miata is more thrilling than a Corvette or Cadillac CTS-V has something wrong with their medulla oblongata.

Thanks for the welcome. I used to post at the other site and been lurking here for a while.

Best to everyone
Uintah

A miata?!? I don't think I need to test drive one to know how I might feel about it.

I'm sure, for the price, it's a great and fun car. But if it's really a thrill ride better than a Corvette, Camaro or CTS-V for less than 1/2 the price, I'll eat my XLR! :lol:

Please don't eat your car, it's way to rare and nice, but the next time someone wants to know what it is, tell them it is motor trends number 3 thrill ride, a Cadillac Miata.

Uintah

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back