Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Nav Disc

Sorry, you read me wrong: I was going for a touch of humour there...... I do think this makes sence. There have been a few postings about the Toyota system but no one seems to have personally tried it. If we can get our hands on a set of discs to check them before we buy them that would be golden. Perhaps someone knowa s Toyota dealer and we could check some discs.

As for possibly changing the system all together, from what I understand there are many other systems that run thru our Nav systems so I do not think that it would be an easy switch.

Does anyone else have experience with using the Toyota discs for Gen 2/

I have a friend who bought a new ES350 with Nav - I will see if I can try his disc in my XLR and see if it works. I'll let you all know what I find.

Thanks for all the comments. From my research, and it is subject to errors, the Denso system installed in early XLR's, and maybe all, were generation 2/3, which is the vintage of the dvd map reader. Some 2003-2005 Toyoto's evidently had the same reader and MAY work with our XLR's. Later Toyota/Lexus have gen 4, gen 5, etc and each generation is updated about every year. The latest version of the gen 2/3 is 11.1. Whether it will work with our XLR's is yet to be decided. I plan on buying the latest version soon and will let everyone know if it works. "boughttheXLR" said he tried it on his 2004 XLR and it worked but without the verbal commands Time will tell

Bruce

YEA! It Works. I just installed the Toyota/Lexus Denso Gen 2/3, Revision 11.1 into my 05 and the latest maps came up. I programed a trip to the beach and it worked fine. As "BoughtTheXLR" said earlier, the visual directions work fine but there is no audio directions from "Ethel" telling you when to turn. The disc is a combination of Denso (2011), NAVTEQ (2010) and Infogroup (2010). There are evidently East and West versions. I have the East version and it indicates minimal POI's west of the Mississippi River but maps are there, though detailed maps are only available for large metro areas. Still beats having the old GM version. I bought on E-bay from Toyota dealer for $169-shipped free.:wave:

Bruce

Free Nav Disc Update..

Just called and gave them the VIN for my 2007 Xlr and shipping address. The CSR indicated they would be honering one of the free updates and my Disc in now on the way.

It doesn't sound like it should be called an exception when right on my window sticker it says: "Bose AM/FM/6 Disc CD Changer W/DVD Navigation & Voice Rec. Includes Two Free Map Updates". There is no information on the sticker that says this offer expires, only that it is limited to two free map updates.

I understand that GM quit offering the two free upgrades on 2009 or later models, but don't see how that would allow them to not honor the window sticker statement "Items Featured Below are included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the Standard Vehicle Price Shown at Right" which was clearly printed on the window sticker and already paid for when the vehicle was purchased.

I have called the nav disc center several times in the past year or two and have been told that the free updates were no longer available and gave up and bought one in 2009 for $200.

Just called and gave them the VIN for my 2007 Xlr and shipping address. The CSR indicated they would be honering one of the free updates and my Disc in now on the way.

What's the number of who you called and what did you tell them? Did you tell them you have an Cadillac XLR or doesn't that matter? :dunno:
Thanks Dan

That's great news. Let us know what the version is printed on the disc when you get it.

What's the number of who you called and what did you tell them? Did you tell them you have an Cadillac XLR or doesn't that matter? :dunno:
Thanks Dan

I called 1 877 628 3472 which is actually the wrong number, but after holding for about two minutes, the CSR forwarded me to the correct department.
Press 1 on the automated menu as though you're checking the status of an order. Enter a phone number and the computer will not find it associated with an order and in turn will send you to a real live person.
I informed her that I was calling to request one of my two free updates for my 2007 Cadillac XLR. She placed me on hold for about a minute. When she came back , she indicated that they were honoring 1 of the Free Disc, Asked for my VIN, , Shipping address , email and phone number.Afterwards she said she was sending the order over and I'd receive e-mail confirmation once the order was entered and shipped.

Same here they ask for same info. I did ask and is not a new update it's the same as others from 2009 they said this was the last update they had for our XLR's but it is a new DVD disc! I don't get why they don't do a new update???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
Am I understanding after all this, you just receive a new not updated disk? Thanks

Yes that is correct! They said it is the last DVD from the 09 update. So at least for anyone that has the old version could get this one, not that it's up to date passed 2009

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I called 1 877 628 3472 which is actually the wrong number, but after holding for about two minutes, the CSR forwarded me to the correct department.
Press 1 on the automated menu as though you're checking the status of an order. Enter a phone number and the computer will not find it associated with an order and in turn will send you to a real live person.
I informed her that I was calling to request one of my two free updates for my 2007 Cadillac XLR. She placed me on hold for about a minute. When she came back , she indicated that they were honoring 1 of the Free Disc, Asked for my VIN, , Shipping address , email and phone number.Afterwards she said she was sending the order over and I'd receive e-mail confirmation once the order was entered and shipped.

sorry my computer is having one of those sdays. I thought i clicked the like but was the dislike button. I meant to like it not dislike it. will call monday or tues or this week

Thanks for the info

Anyone have a build sheet for a 2004 that says there are two updates for the Nav disk? :dunno:

Curious that some requesters received positive outcomes and some didn't. I actually expected a negative outcome since I wasn't the original purchaser... and I even gave her that bit of information. I remember her saying that the '06/'07 model years were being given special consideration for the one free upgrade... I suppose since they abruptly stopped the update program in '08.

From reading the posts, it appears there was some "luck of the draw" involved.

As you said, GM people at GM plant in Bowling Green in 2006 at a rendezvous of XLR's said we had a free upgrade coming, I never got my free upgrade as I was told in 2008 that the free upgrade for Denso was not worth the effort. When I did apply for it in 2009 they said I was to late and missed the deadline. Why does a Toyota Denso Disc cost $11.95 for an upgrade and Cadillac cost $159.99 plus tax?
Last week I ordered the 2009 Gen 2 version and it still didn't have my location on it or for that matter nothing for 8 square miles around my home. They do have a 30 day return policy which I invoked today.
I understand the Toyota has an upgrade that works in our cars, just no voice, does this upgrade go to 2016 & if so which Toyota car & year should I order? Maybe catalog number ?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

As you said, GM people at GM plant in Bowling Green in 2006 at a rendezvous of XLR's said we had a free upgrade coming, I never got my free upgrade as I was told in 2008 that the free upgrade for Denso was not worth the effort. When I did apply for it in 2009 they said I was to late and missed the deadline. Why does a Toyota Denso Disc cost $11.95 for an upgrade and Cadillac cost $159.99 plus tax?
Last week I ordered the 2009 Gen 2 version and it still didn't have my location on it or for that matter nothing for 8 square miles around my home. They do have a 30 day return policy which I invoked today.
I understand the Toyota has an upgrade that works in our cars, just no voice, does this upgrade go to 2016 & if so which Toyota car & year should I order? Maybe catalog number ?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Great question:I am waiting for the answer to this one too!
:dunno:

I was able to upgrade the original maps for my 05 with a Toyota 86271-GN23E-13 (see photo) It had the identification "U08" and was for East us. No audio I have not been able to find a newer up date. There are other Toyota updates but they will not work. If anyone finds a newer update, let us know. IMG_4303.jpg

I was able to upgrade the original maps for my 05 with a Toyota 86271-GN23E-13 (see photo) It had the identification "U08" and was for East us. No audio I have not been able to find a newer up date. There are other Toyota updates but they will not work. If anyone finds a newer update, let us know.View attachment 6776

So does U08 imply that it is 2008? If yes then that is the same age as the discs shipped with the 2009 XLR's....... dang! :(

I was able to upgrade the original maps for my 05 with a Toyota 86271-GN23E-13 (see photo) It had the identification "U08" and was for East us. No audio I have not been able to find a newer up date. There are other Toyota updates but they will not work. If anyone finds a newer update, let us know.View attachment 6776

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back