Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

NEW here! I'd like to introduce myself and a little about my totally customized XLR

AC's XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2004 totally custom hot lava XLR
Ok so I'm 27 years old but completely computer illiterate so please bare with me if I can't figure out a lot of things on this message board. I have a 2004 Cadillac XLR that I am currently in the process of customizing. I have had about 30 Cadillac's that have all underdone my customization, I am an artist at heart so this process brings me much joy! I have customized my Caddys from my 1959 all the way up to in the 2000's. Here is a list of things I have already done or am in the process of doing or thinking about doing to my XLR, all feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Re painted the GM Hot Lava color of the 2008 CTS.Brand new extremely soft leather Upholstry with perforated orange suede inserts, dash, rollbars, and orange seat belts. The Cadillac shield logo embroidered in orange very large on the head rests almost covering the whole thing, and the script logo also embroidered in orange on the section under the head rest but above the suede inserts. An iPad mini in dash as the infotainment system with a cd changer underneath with a screen for the rear view camera (all covered in the perforated orange suede) I didn't want to go with the mirror camera because I didn't want to lose my onstar and map lights, and in my line of work I still need a CD player in the car. Front parking sensors. Debaged the sides but kept the XLR logo on the right back but replaced the Northstar logo on the left with the Cadillac script logo from the 97-99 Deville's. A chrome mesh rear license plate grille that extends to the reverse lights originally made for the corvette. Halo head lights and fog lamps. Converted all lights to bright white led. Lamborghini doors. Painted calipers and engine cover to match the exterior (hot lava aka sunburst orange) corsa exhaust, rear sway bar, illuminated door sills (orange of course) that have the Cadillac script logo which is nice cause its directly above the XLR logo, so it reads appropriately "Cadillac XLR" the illuminated cadillac badge logo wind restricter with the break module, this one I got in red instead of orange so it matches the tail lights. Orange ambient lighting inside the vehicle and thru the grille. Drilled and slotted rooters, iPhone alarm system with remote start, almost limo tint all around the vehicle except for the windshield, but even on the roof to give the appearance of a large panoramic sun roof while the top is up, a suede headliner, rolls Royce carpet and Cadillac logo floor mats also made from the rolls Royce carpet, cold air intake, updated key fobs (maybe) Now there are two things I'm stuck on and I would LOVE some help with!! Rims and a grille!!! I currently have 22 inch all chrome Diablo rims on with low pro tires, but I want a change, there are three different types of rim that in a perfect world I could combine into what I feel would be the ultimate rim for my XLR, first off the brand new 2013 stock Escalade 22 inch rim, in aluminum and in chrome with that sexy Cadillac logo all big in the middle and it's sharp aggressive lines matching those of the XLR! I'm not at all worried about bolt pattern cause my guy can customize that no problem. I love certain things about the aluminum but also the bling of the chrome, I would love to have certain parts aluminum for the darker shading but chrome for the parts that need to stand out! But there is one thing that my XLR has now that I would NEED of my wheels which almost takes the escalade wheels off the table..... No lip! I LOVE a big fat lip on some staggered wheels and of course I can't have that with the escalade wheels (no lip at all) like a beautiful woman with no curves :( on the other hand I found these amazing Asanti wheels (which looks like the direction I'm heading in) huge lip and could totally customize the color along with the chrome any way I like it, with the huge Asanti lettering on the lip itself, of course I'm going to make the rim consist of chrome, brushed aluminum and the hot lava color. But sadly the Asanti nor any other wheel I could find has the spokes of this new escalade (almost like the Cadillac Ciel concept wheel) that I feel compliments the XLR so perfectly! And also no big bad Cadillac logo in the center of the wheel. Ok, now to the grille, first off let me start by saying I love and use my adaptive cruise control all the time and would never want to lose it. With that said I think that the lower mesh grille that fits in between the cruise control sensors looks too much like a license plate, and I have no front plate for a reason! I think it ruins the front look of the vehicle! So if I get the bottom mesh grille I will be painting it black. I did read however that someone had a mesh grille that covered the entire cruise control sensors and that the acc was still working perfectly fine. If that was the case then I'd opt for that. So now it's between the e&g grille or the Strut grille, and my question is this... Why is the strut grille literally 10 times the price? Literally! E&g grille $500, Strut grille $5,000. If it actually blings more in the sun or looks nicer I don't mind spending the extra money, but if the only difference is the name then I'd rather get the e&g and instead of putting the factory Cadillac badge logo in the center I'll get the Cadillac badge logo from the new escalade ext rear and slap that on the center grille so it takes up way more mesh real estate and gives it a much more dramatic look. A few other things I want to do like if I paint the lower center grille black I'd leave the left and right sides chrome and put the chrome XLR badge in the center of the black mesh. And just FYI I did like the Cadillac script logo better than the Cadillac badge logo for the windrestrictor but the script logo looks backward when looking at the vehicle from the front to whereas the badge is correct no matter how you see it. Thank you so very much for reading all this! I'd love to hear some feedback! It would all be appreciated! Thanks!!And just so y'all know I've been reading this site for quite some time now so although I'm new to all y'all, I'm quite familiar with most of your posts.

Ok so I'm 27 years old but completely computer illiterate so please bare with me if I can't figure out a lot of things on this message board. I have a 2004 Cadillac XLR that I am currently in the process of customizing. I have had about 30 Cadillac's that have all underdone my customization, I am an artist at heart so this process brings me much joy! I have customized my Caddys from my 1959 all the way up to in the 2000's. Here is a list of things I have already done or am in the process of doing or thinking about doing to my XLR, all feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Re painted the GM Hot Lava color of the 2008 CTS.Brand new extremely soft leather Upholstry with perforated orange suede inserts, dash, rollbars, and orange seat belts. The Cadillac shield logo embroidered in orange very large on the head rests almost covering the whole thing, and the script logo also embroidered in orange on the section under the head rest but above the suede inserts. An iPad mini in dash as the infotainment system with a cd changer underneath with a screen for the rear view camera (all covered in the perforated orange suede) I didn't want to go with the mirror camera because I didn't want to lose my onstar and map lights, and in my line of work I still need a CD player in the car. Front parking sensors. Debaged the sides but kept the XLR logo on the right back but replaced the Northstar logo on the left with the Cadillac script logo from the 97-99 Deville's. A chrome mesh rear license plate grille that extends to the reverse lights originally made for the corvette. Halo head lights and fog lamps. Converted all lights to bright white led. Lamborghini doors. Painted calipers and engine cover to match the exterior (hot lava aka sunburst orange) corsa exhaust, rear sway bar, illuminated door sills (orange of course) that have the Cadillac script logo which is nice cause its directly above the XLR logo, so it reads appropriately "Cadillac XLR" the illuminated cadillac badge logo wind restricter with the break module, this one I got in red instead of orange so it matches the tail lights. Orange ambient lighting inside the vehicle and thru the grille. Drilled and slotted rooters, iPhone alarm system with remote start, almost limo tint all around the vehicle except for the windshield, but even on the roof to give the appearance of a large panoramic sun roof while the top is up, a suede headliner, rolls Royce carpet and Cadillac logo floor mats also made from the rolls Royce carpet, cold air intake, updated key fobs (maybe) Now there are two things I'm stuck on and I would LOVE some help with!! Rims and a grille!!! I currently have 22 inch all chrome Diablo rims on with low pro tires, but I want a change, there are three different types of rim that in a perfect world I could combine into what I feel would be the ultimate rim for my XLR, first off the brand new 2013 stock Escalade 22 inch rim, in aluminum and in chrome with that sexy Cadillac logo all big in the middle and it's sharp aggressive lines matching those of the XLR! I'm not at all worried about bolt pattern cause my guy can customize that no problem. I love certain things about the aluminum but also the bling of the chrome, I would love to have certain parts aluminum for the darker shading but chrome for the parts that need to stand out! But there is one thing that my XLR has now that I would NEED of my wheels which almost takes the escalade wheels off the table..... No lip! I LOVE a big fat lip on some staggered wheels and of course I can't have that with the escalade wheels (no lip at all) like a beautiful woman with no curves :( on the other hand I found these amazing Asanti wheels (which looks like the direction I'm heading in) huge lip and could totally customize the color along with the chrome any way I like it, with the huge Asanti lettering on the lip itself, of course I'm going to make the rim consist of chrome, brushed aluminum and the hot lava color. But sadly the Asanti nor any other wheel I could find has the spokes of this new escalade (almost like the Cadillac Ciel concept wheel) that I feel compliments the XLR so perfectly! And also no big bad Cadillac logo in the center of the wheel. Ok, now to the grille, first off let me start by saying I love and use my adaptive cruise control all the time and would never want to lose it. With that said I think that the lower mesh grille that fits in between the cruise control sensors looks too much like a license plate, and I have no front plate for a reason! I think it ruins the front look of the vehicle! So if I get the bottom mesh grille I will be painting it black. I did read however that someone had a mesh grille that covered the entire cruise control sensors and that the acc was still working perfectly fine. If that was the case then I'd opt for that. So now it's between the e&g grille or the Strut grille, and my question is this... Why is the strut grille literally 10 times the price? Literally! E&g grille $500, Strut grille $5,000. If it actually blings more in the sun or looks nicer I don't mind spending the extra money, but if the only difference is the name then I'd rather get the e&g and instead of putting the factory Cadillac badge logo in the center I'll get the Cadillac badge logo from the new escalade ext rear and slap that on the center grille so it takes up way more mesh real estate and gives it a much more dramatic look. A few other things I want to do like if I paint the lower center grille black I'd leave the left and right sides chrome and put the chrome XLR badge in the center of the black mesh. And just FYI I did like the Cadillac script logo better than the Cadillac badge logo for the windrestrictor but the script logo looks backward when looking at the vehicle from the front to whereas the badge is correct no matter how you see it. Thank you so very much for reading all this! I'd love to hear some feedback! It would all be appreciated! Thanks!!And just so y'all know I've been reading this site for quite some time now so although I'm new to all y'all, I'm quite familiar with most of your posts.
Good luck with your project and I'm sure we all would like to see some picture's Ted

Welcome to the forum. Wow you need to post pics of your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, what part of L.A. are you in? I live in Lawndale, "The Heart of the South Bay".

Ok so I'm 27 years old. I have a 2004 Cadillac XLR that I am currently in the process of customizing.

Lamborghini doors.

I LOVE a big fat lip on some staggered wheels and of course I can't have that with the escalade wheels (no lip at all) like a beautiful woman with no curves :(

I'm not sure about the VDC kit, but the staggered wheels and larger lips in the rear I can visualize. If I may offer suggestions a 20/21 staggered combination is perhaps is the best look for an XLR IMHO. The concept Cadillac Cien has that combination. If you can find an aftermarket set with a staggered combination you might be able to pull it off otherwise you'll have to go with a three piece wheel.

You might be able to get a 2 to 2.5 inch rear lip on the wheels but that's about it. As for the wheel color combination I would stick with something that is simple for you don't want to draw away from the visualization of the car.

Welcome to forum like I noticed in some other post you need to post some pictures, I would usually quote if you got questioned here the place to get answers! but with all your customizing experience you probably been there done that already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Ok, so my computer ileteracy is really rearing it's ugly head now that I'm trying to reply back to you all. I do have before pictures, the XLR is currently getting painted and upholstered at the moment so I don't have it to take pics but it was originally the crimson pearl (which I have mixed feelings about) exterior and the light cashmere interior with the 22 inch chrome diablo wheels and dark tint all around with the suede headliner. The reason I have the mixed feelings on the crimson pearl is cause although it's a gorgeous shade of red, it is red, in the red family. And having a red sports car is just too cliche' for my taste. I want to be different, and although having an XLR is different no matter the color I knew that the hot lava would truly be one of a kind. Plus I had a Cts that was hot lava and truly loved the color!

Ill try to find a way to post pics of the before shots ASAP.
Does anyone have any thoughts on why the Strut grille is so much more than the e&g? Does it shine more?

Welcome to the best XLR forum on the Internet. Can't say as I've heard of the strut grille...

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the Strut grille is so much more than the e&g? Does it shine more?

How about answers. I used to install Strut Grilles. As a matter of fact, I did an XLR back in 04/05 and it was in a rap video (I still have the fiberglass pieces I had to cut out of the fender for the Strut fender badge/vent).

They are nothing more than a Bling statement. The price of the grille package is based on a percentage of the MSRP of the car when new. No exotic material, no fine craftsmanship, no better quality, no better warranty.... BLING (and only for those that know its rep). Most of us here don't care for that kind of BLING.

P.S. Your use of shorter sentences and paragraphs is getting better.
hide.gif

New join fourm Biz cards doneImageUploadedByTapatalk1371343184.205951.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371343215.286177.jpg

Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371384631.855023.jpg

HAPPY FATHER DAY ALL YOU DADS
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Welcome to the XLR-NET. There are a lot of helpful owners here and everyone is passionate about their babies. You have joined the best forum on the NET, congrats!! :blinzel:

Mike

Ok, so my computer ileteracy is really rearing it's ugly head now that I'm trying to reply back to you all. I do have before pictures, the XLR is currently getting painted and upholstered at the moment so I don't have it to take pics but it was originally the crimson pearl (which I have mixed feelings about) exterior and the light cashmere interior with the 22 inch chrome diablo wheels and dark tint all around with the suede headliner. The reason I have the mixed feelings on the crimson pearl is cause although it's a gorgeous shade of red, it is red, in the red family. And having a red sports car is just too cliche' for my taste. I want to be different, and although having an XLR is different no matter the color I knew that the hot lava would truly be one of a kind. Plus I had a Cts that was hot lava and truly loved the color!

Ill try to find a way to post pics of the before shots ASAP.

Sorry, no idea about the grill.

Your XLR sounds exciting. Other than the Lambo doors, it does not sound like you are messing with the body....which would make the majority of the forum members shake their heads and wonder why anyone would mess with the lines of this car! :chuckle

So is Hot Lava that sexy burnt orange the had for a short while on the CTS? Love that and wondered how that would look on an XLR!

To post pictures easily, you look farter down below the window box you are typing in. You will see a spot that says attachments. You click on Manage Attachments then you choose Ad Files and choose the picture files from your computer. The pics should be smaller files to upload. This results in he thumbnail pics like 05 Grand dadd XLR caddys pics of his forum cards he made. The other way is to post your pictures on an online photo storage site and post the active link to each picture, OR you could just post a link to the photo album itself. (I like that as you can also make notes on what you are seeing in the picture and also share it with anyone you want. Here is a link to last years XLR's Gettysburg trip that I primarily posted for my friends and family who were not on that trip as well as to share with the forum https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=113748115640398945429&target=ALBUM&id=5753497263636518241&authkey=Gv1sRgCL3vk7_umqGpYQ&feat=email

Anyway, welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progress. You could start a new thread posting updates and pictures of it, name it AC's XLR Build!

Thank you all very much for the feedback!
just so you know the Lamborghini doors are on using aa adapter that bolts to the original bolts so there is no welding therefore not sacrificing the integrity of the body.
I checked out your pics, it looked fun. I only use an iPhone as my computer so I'll see if all that stuff will work, other than that a very good friend of mine is a computer genius and I'll have him help me with some pics if I'm having any trouble, but like I said right now I only have the pics in crimson pearl and the original interior since it is at the body shop as we speak.
And thank you for the feedback on the grilles.
I think I have made up my mind more on the grille and the wheels.
E&G grille and alloy wheels from the 2013 escalade premium, not the platinum.

AC's if you have an iPhone check out Tapatalk app you can load pictures In a snap!

The price of the grille package is based on a percentage of the MSRP of the car when new. No exotic material, no fine craftsmanship, no better quality, no better warranty.... BLING (and only for those that know its rep).

That makes a lot of sense (from what I have read on Strut grills onlilne). Doesn't look like much of a quality difference. I have heard good things about the quality of the E&G grills. IMHO - save your money - go with the E&G Grill.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom