Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Member - 04 XLR in AZ

JohnnyBfromPeoria

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Base, Black/Black
Thanks for the forum, everybody. I found and bought an 04, black/black (I know that's not the correct terminology for the colors, but you get the point) only 9 miles from my house. Currently sitting at just over 84K on the clock and in pretty good shape.

I'm kind of a "hands-on" person with cars, so I'll be trying to accomplish what I can on my own, and I'll need to get my hands on a set of shop manuals. I'm a fan of the original, stock suspension features, so I've already ordered a set of stock shocks from Rock Auto, as the mileage alone would lean towards likely replacement need.

The tires are something like 6 years old, per the sidewall code, so I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (rated 500 AA A on the UTQG) as they're performance-oriented with a decent treadlife rating and, hey, Michelins for under $200/tire...I'll bet the TPMS sensors need replacing, too.

I'm a believer in Power Stop brake pads, so if the car needs them, I'll decide on a flavor and slap in a complete set. Not really in favor of serious track day stuff here, either.

I was really surprised driving this car, both in the power to the ground (I added a supercharger to my 2012 V-6 manual Camaro and it was a ripper, back in 2013) as well as handling. I'm a believer that the rear sway bar many of you write about will be a worthwhile investment.

Cold air intake? Probably. Corsa exhaust? Maybe.

Air deflector for top-down driving sounds like a must-have. Back draft is annoying.

Other products I love: 303 Aerospace protectant - For everything rubber and vinyl as well as many plastics. Lexol for leather. SuperBrightLEDS out of St. Louis, MO for anything related to lighting, just a fantastic company. Shin-Etsu lubricant for that stuff that you just can't think of anything else to use. Mobil1 oils and WIX XP filters.

But again, having a forum is great. I've already picked up so much info. I'll be contacting VetteTronics as I have a row of tail light LED's out on the passenger side brake light (unless I decide to cut in and follow the other guy's program...). I have this forum favorited on my home computers and my phone now has Tapatalk. I'm all in. Until the money runs out - or an unobtanium part throws me down.

Thanks everybody!

John B.

Welcome to the forum John. Wealth of information and great folks here. Funny thing my car spent most of its time around your area based on Cadillac’s service history, Scottsdale. Definitely the addition of the rear swaybar is best bang for the buck.
17d39c3e62b5f4945c4f138ea2ed5bc8.jpg

Stereo upgrade was on my wishlist but tires brakes and driving & maintenance items are more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to our world of XLR’s and the forum, after reading your post, just want to say I had the Michelin Super Sport Tire on my 2005 and hate them it use fish tail sometimes when turning at like a U turn even at a low speed, plus they where rated a 30k mile tire....I change them out at 23k, they were all but balled, like slicks and they where rotated around every 5k as a free service where I purchased the tires. When I purchased them then I’m think they costed over a grand. Now...This last tire purchase was B. F Goodrich tire recommended buy the my tire dealer, I decided on the Force Comp-2 it’s an All Season tire an a little aggressive looking, but I really like the handling an ride of them, also I run all tires at 30lbs of air too! After installing these my wife an i both agreed it rode more like a Cadillac should[emoji6]...And they are rated i believe a 60k tire and around $650 mounted and installed
45198e0b4a5f72ab3dbc5e70631490bd.jpg

I’d also like to offer you a 10% all product purchase discount, on the top of line wind deflector for your new ride from WindRestrictors by King Penn with choice of single or multicolored LED lighting, mini pocket remote control and if you’d wish to add a custom LOGOS and graphics that is a viable too! Use this link and you can browse the website: Home page
9fd60b120040ab5ee9982cb9045731f5.jpg
a06a05341aa55bd268325bf8059eb463.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
Also offer LED lite Door Sills and Lloyd’s Custom Floor Mats
20190619/06bb8270cbd371449a561d87a2ff64b5.jpg
Questions for WindRestrictor call 972-487-5987
Ask for Ashli she can help if she’s their!
Thank You enjoy your new to you toy (TOPLESS OF COURSE)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for your review on the tires, Dan.

I ordered a plain, smoked tint wind deflector today. The site automatically deducts 10%.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria........ Shipped out to Sun City East (Apache Junction)...

WELCOME to the XLR website!

Tires > At time for replacement I went with Bridgestone Drive Guard Runflats and give them
a A+ rating.. A tad bit more expensive, but well worth the extra cost for an improved ride and peace of mind on longer trips w/o a spare.

I see you are a shade-tree mechanic,,,but if you should get in over your head on a fix or a problem with your XLR.....you can contact Danny Smith who owns LEGENDS Luxury Auto Repair in Tempe . Danny is a true 'certified, master XLR/corvette technician' if you should run into an issue that goes beyond your skills. ENJOY your ride :wave:

Full Service Auto Repair | Tempe | Legends Luxury Auto Repair :thumbsup

p z

Welcome! I am 'right down the road' if there is such a thing in AZ, in Peoria.. have fun with a black on black out here. Mine has a light interior (pewter?) so that helps. But I love the thought of all black. Having windows tinted soon...

I have window tint guy I have been using for 25+ years, Keith with Stick To It window tinting. He's over near Thunderbird and 23rd Ave and operates out of his house (air conditioned garage!). I recommend him highly.

John B.

Welcome ! : )

Good to have you on The Site. :) Welcome. I also put The Bridgestone Drive Guard Run Flats on mine about a year and a half ago just before The Bowling Green Rally (Oh my, has it been that long already?). Really nice tires.

Please post some pictures of your car when you can.

Again, welcome aboard.

Last edited:
My car is over at my detailer of choice, the guys at Wax That Asset, in San Tan Valley, AZ. I'm having them massage some product into the exterior paint to protect it somewhat. I'm not good at working on a black vehicle finish. I'll take some pictures when I pick it up, as it likely will only look that good for ten minutes, as dusty as it is around here.

John B.

My car is over at my detailer of choice, the guys at Wax That Asset, in San Tan Valley, AZ. I'm having them massage some product into the exterior paint to protect it somewhat. I'm not good at working on a black vehicle finish. I'll take some pictures when I pick it up, as it likely will only look that good for ten minutes, as dusty as it is around here.

John B.

John,
I’ve heard it said on a car, black is not a color, it is a second job. I can attest to that. Nothing looks better when it is shined up, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! I'm Mike , live in Phx, most likely purchasing '05 tomorrowish, from dealer in OH. Glad to see all the AZ folks here w/ really helpful info! New to the XLR, so looking forward to many miles on our great AZ roads. Unfotunately, I won't be able to get to OH to inspect te car (not really mechanically gifted, so don't really see an advantage of spending $$$ for travel, etc, since I'm planning on having it shipped anyway). Any recommendations? Anyone know of a good Caddy person to hire to inspect it? Thanks in advance and looking forward to being a part of the community!

Newbie from Phoenix here

Hi everyone! I'm Mike , live in Phx, most likely purchasing '05 tomorrowish, from dealer in OH. Glad to see all the AZ folks here w/ really helpful info! New to the XLR, so looking forward to many miles on our great AZ roads. Unfotunately, I won't be able to get to OH to inspect te car (not really mechanically gifted, so don't really see an advantage of spending $$$ for travel, etc, since I'm planning on having it shipped anyway). Any recommendations? Anyone know of a good Caddy person to hire to inspect it? Thanks in advance and looking forward to being a part of the community!:wave:

djmoneymike, see post #6 in this thread for someone local to inspect the car. Not sure about anyone back where the car is at.

I'd at least get a video from the seller showing that the tail and brake lights are fully functional.

John B.

Video they sent me shows them working, but I requested full close ups of easck light to confirm no hairline cracks, etc. Thanks for the heads up John B!

I bought one sight unseen and drove 800 miles to get it .I asked the dealer for photos of the lights and to run the top up and down. Pretty much everything was just as his photos.

I am amazed at how many lights people sell and look at and do not see the upper side marker is not working .That is usually the first light to fail and then the leds start to go. You usually cannot see it from the rear photos.

Last edited:
djmoneymike, see post #6 in this thread for someone local to inspect the car. Not sure about anyone back where the car is at.

I'd at least get a video from the seller showing that the tail and brake lights are fully functional.

John B.

Met Danny @ Legends in Tempe. He is definitely knowledgable and will be my go to guy when I get one. Unfortunately, the one I was considering was sold. I'm looking at 6-7 more, including V's, so hopefully will close a deal this weekend. REALLY wish I could find one in AZ !!

find one around Georgia or Tennessee I will inspect it and drive it out .Would love to see Az before I am unable. Avoid areas of NC near the ocean. MAy want to really inspect anything from that area two or three times.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom