Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"New to me" Platinum 2005 XLR w/8400k miles

KevinJ62

My XLR/V(s)
Platinum 2005 XLR
Hi All! Just picked up a flawless 2005 XLR over the Father's Day weekend up near Indianapolis. LOVE IT! These are stunning looking cars! I traded my 2012 CTS Coupe for it and have no regrets about it. I did, however, learn the hard/expensive lesson about the leaky trunk wiping out the Steering Stabilizer and Roof/trunk control modules. Spider decided that the drain tube looked like a good place to build his home :mad:, and I ended up with around 5" of water in the module box. Got my fingers crossed that the modules didn't have any permanent damage, and we've FINALLY got a dry-ish week coming up. Anyway...I'm a quality inspector at Boeing's F-15 Eagle assembly line in St. Louis, MO. Got about 38 yrs working on/building fighter aircraft - F-14D Tomcats, AV8B Harriers, F/A-18E/F SuperHornets, and the Eagle which I've been on the longest. Great that there's a forum for these cars! I've got a lot of reading up to do [wish I knew about the drain issue last week!].

Attachments

• 2005 xlr.jpg
    2005 xlr.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 2005 xlr1.jpg
    2005 xlr1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 256
"New to me" Platinum 2005 XLR w/8400k miles

Welcome to the forum. I have a 06 I’ve had since 2012. Love it and drive it as often as I can. It had 20752 miles on her when purchased. Now has just under 65 k on her.

684905ec4411a8d3861432000a432aaa.jpg

87bd77086c94c89e7f23e8459801cc7c.jpg

I take her to shows and cruise ins. Yes she’s a head turner. I’ve never regretted the day that I purchased her. These are fun cars. Everywhere you go you’ll get some kind of question. Is this a new car. Or do they make them anymore. Sometimes I just hand them a card where it says only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
de5d1bb1da280815565e6807ff30bb43.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, guys! Now to get her back up to 'as bought' condition. By the drive in this morning, the Stability Control Module is #1 on the list. Pretty wonky on the long curved ramp between I-44 and I-270. Had to slow it waaay down. I still need to get familiar with the mechanics of the XLR, but I'm already thinking of a secondary drain an inch or so up the side of the box [below the wiring and modules] that could 'maybe' prevent this from happening again. Kind of like your home A/C has dual drains so the condensate pan doesn't over flow. Potting the connectors with marine grade silicone grease, and sealing the seams of the modules with some 'aircraft grade' waterproof coatings I'm familiar with. This WILL NOT happen again to my baby! :) "knocking wood!"

Great looking car, welcome to the group. Many of us have had a list of fix-it things to work on the first few weeks of ownership. This site is the best place for tips and suggestions. Enjoy your new ride!

Welcome Aboard!

Great looking car. ;) I bought mine in San Diego (Pacific Beach) in 2013 from the original owners. When people see it on the road or at the stop light, they just stare in amazement. --- What is that? --- What a beautiful car! --- It's a Cadillac? --- I didn't know Cadillac made anything like that? --- Enjoy.

And an aside on water getting into the Pump and Sensor well in the trunk. --- Make sure your trunk seals are good and sealing properly so water cannot get inside. New replacement ones are readily available. I use my 'smoke test machine' whether inside the cabin or the trunk. If the smoke exits anywhere? Replace the seals.

Sounds like your career with Boeing will serve you well in maintaining your car. Congratulations!

Again, Welcome!

Used to live in San Diego [Poway,actually], and originally from the Denver/Arvada area in Colorado! Still have family out there. Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like you have bounced around The Country a bit. Me also. Maryland, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Minnesota, NYNY, California, and now Colorado. We have been here the longest. : ) My son used to live in Westminster, now in Houston.

Presently I am in a deep dive on my Eldorado Convertible (Garage Tab on my Post on this site) doing 'All' necessary repairs. Just found out the other day on The Cadillac-Lasalle Web Site that it is a 'San Remo Dorado Edition'. Saw the label on the dash, but didn't know what that meant. 'Duh'. Apparently extremely rare with from what I can find out, only 7 Eldorado Convertibles built. --- Getting parts for it is definitely a challenge. In some cases I have had to do shop drawings and make my own mounting brackets due to design changes. Ex., fuel pump, power antenna motor, etc. Now will begin rebuilding the whole front suspension as all the A Arm Bushings are dry rotted. Plus check all ball joints, tie rod ends, CV Axles. --- Just went through the whole fuel injection system and installed all new injectors. The driver's seat is presently at the best auto reupholstering company in Denver. Turned out they used a special leather on these made by a company called Connally. Had a heck of time finding it. The rest of the interior is in great condition. --- And the list goes on.

Enjoy your beautiful XLR, and again, Welcome :thumbsup

Best Wishes,
Charlie

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics