Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New to the Forum and Looking for Help

dwclear

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Base
New member 2006 XLR base in Fairbanks, AK. I am looking for a body control module or recommendations for possible repair.
Service Stabiltrac warning and won’t shift out of park. Tried new shifter. Mechanic said it’s a communication failure on BCM. He could reset it and get it to work, but came right back.

Thank you,
Dan

Dan, Is the reason you can't shift out of park because you can't pull the trigger on the shifter? When you push on the brake do you hear a clicking at the base of the shifter, if not that could be your problem. There is a safety switch that when energized releases the trigger allowing the shifter to move. Could be a loose connection or a dirty micro switch, I had the same problem and that's all it was. Good luck

Yes that is the reason. We put a new (used) shifter assembly in, thinking it was a bad solenoid. The mechanic got it to work, but after he clears the failure to communicate not allowing the release it works a few times then comes back. Do you know where the micro switch is?

Yes, there are two and they are on the right side of the shifter. If you look in that area while you try to press the rod on the top of the shifter you will see how it tries to move a small plastic piece but is held up by another piece, there is a small rod there if you slide it forward then you can push down the shifter rod and move the shifter out of park. That mechanism is held on by two screws, gently remove that and the switches are on the back side. I just cleaned mine up and bent the actuators out just a fraction and it's been working fine. I believe one or both of those switches energize that magnet that slides that rod forward and releases the shifter rod. WOW, I know I didn't explain that to well but it's really not that complicated. Good luck

Last edited:
Dan, Are you having any luck with your shifting problem?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom