Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New wheels and tires installed

Rich,
Tire size was 275/35Z/R20
Foose Speedsters: the width is 5x120x8.5 and offset is 45

Ah ok...

My rear Forgline wheel is 9.5" wide and the offset is 49mm

That is where the difference is--the width of the rims. Wider rims will actually change the circumference of the tire as well. Glad we got this settled; I couldn't understand why Standby had problems and you don't.

The wheels do look awesome on your car Richard!!

Ah ok...

My rear Forgline wheel is 9.5" wide and the offset is 49mm

That is where the difference is--the width of the rims. Wider rims will actually change the circumference of the tire as well. Glad we got this settled; I couldn't understand why Standby had problems and you don't.

The wheels do look awesome on your car Richard!!

Glad we figured that out.

I like the wheels too - now i'm super paranoid that I'm going to hit a curb. :(

Wheel Locks

I got paranoid that I might get my new wheels/tires stolen - in fact, I had a nightmare that my V was on blocks after a day of shopping... :(

I did some research and ended buying some Gorilla Guard locking lug nuts... they have a spinning sleeve to stop thieves from using those lug nut removal tools (I've learned that such thefts are common and the regular locking lug nuts don't stand a chance against those tools.)

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.guard.locks

I've already ordered a backup spare key in case something happens to the one it came with.

IMG00211-20090803-1648.jpg

IMG00212-20090803-1842.jpg

Those look good but they didn't show a price. How much were they?

I got the lock set from Amazon.com for $17 (shipped, no tax for me).

http://bit.ly/t27MC

The spare key was $10.50 (shipped, no tax) ordered directly from Gorilla:

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/replacement.keys

Ridiculously cheap insurance to prevent theft... they'll have to destroy the wheels to get them off. :) (or, I suppose they could just take the whole car. :cry)

You can see examples of how locking lugnuts can be removed here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...s-see-before-you-buy-for-more-protection.html

And some guys even use a the Gorilla Guard locks on every lug... wow!

Gorilla_02.jpg

I think there's a story where he called to get them all keyed the same and had a bit of a hard time getting them done that way... but ya, it would be a pain otherwise :D

Just a note on the tire rubbing. I have stock wheels and tires on an 06 V. My wife an I pack a lot of stuff for our week long get aways. We go to the North Georgia and North Carolina mountains. Packed or not, when I get on the twisty mountain roads, I can't help but drive hard around corners. I'm not talking speed so much as really tight curves where 35 mph and 45 mph is pushing it. A lot of these curves also have transistions that cause the car to reach suspension travel limits. I have noticed that, even with all stock wheels and tires, I have rubbing marks on the rear inner wheel well on one side of the car. It looks like the tire rubbing was actually melting the inner fender material.
My point is simply that luggage weight and driving style will take the stock set up to the limits, at least on my ride anyway.

Jack

Jack,
That's another good point about loading the trunk up.
I'd love to have the wider tires but since I have 20's all around I wouldn't want the same size up front so I'm happy with the 255's and the Foose rims and can rotate the tires as needed.
Just a note on the tire rubbing. I have stock wheels and tires on an 06 V. My wife an I pack a lot of stuff for our week long get aways. We go to the North Georgia and North Carolina mountains. Packed or not, when I get on the twisty mountain roads, I can't help but drive hard around corners. I'm not talking speed so much as really tight curves where 35 mph and 45 mph is pushing it. A lot of these curves also have transistions that cause the car to reach suspension travel limits. I have noticed that, even with all stock wheels and tires, I have rubbing marks on the rear inner wheel well on one side of the car. It looks like the tire rubbing was actually melting the inner fender material.
My point is simply that luggage weight and driving style will take the stock set up to the limits, at least on my ride anyway.

Jack

Jack
I have never thought of all that before until you posted it. Thanks:wave: Now Kevin has more reason to tell me to pack lite. :chuckle:chuckle

New Tires

Just ordered a set of four new tires today. I was down to 3/32 on both front but down to the wear bar on one back and to 1/32 on the other rear so decided to replace all four. The specs call for 9.5/32 new. The original have 22,000 miles so it is time.

Did you get your new rims, also?

Just ordered a set of four new tires today. I was down to 3/32 on both front but down to the wear bar on one back and to 1/32 on the other rear so decided to replace all four. The specs call for 9.5/32 new. The original have 22,000 miles so it is time.

Did you get your new rims, also?

You bet I did, had them installed before I drove back to your part of the woods. You were supposed to have sunshine for me so I could have the top down for my class re-union but I think you got mixed up and did your rain dance instead of the sunshine dance. I will try to do better for you when you come to enjoy my mountains next year. :):):) I am putting on the same as the originals for tires. I do like the run flats and I am keeping the original size. I don't want my fender liners eaten up or a blow out that destroys the fenders. Guess I am just old fashioned. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom