Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New wheels and tires installed

richardyoo

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver XLR-V
After two long months, I finally have my new tires and wheels mounted on my 06 XLR-V.

Forgeline SP3P 20" 3-piece wheels... hidden hardware, chrome, with
break-away stems, and internal TPMS brackets.

http://www.forgeline.com/<wbr>products/performance-series-<wbr>step-lip/19inch-and-20inch-<wbr>performance-series/sp3s.html

They were spec'ed and ordered by D3 for me while keeping in mind that I may do a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear brake upgrade. So the offsets and such were set to make room for them in the future.

255/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-ps2/

I wanted the widest possible tire in the rear since I've been having issues keeping the tires from spinning when driving aggressively. the 285's fit just fine (and there maybe room for a little more :D)

SureValve break-away stems:

http://www.hcwsinc.com/<wbr>gallery.htm

I was initially concerned that the ride would be harsher moving from the 19" to the 20" tires, but moving from run-flats to non-run-flats took care of that... in fact, I think that these new tires ride better and quieter than those Pirelli's that come OE (and the wet traction was terrible as well).

I guess the only downside is that I now have to carry a plug-kit and air-pump incase I get a flat.

Photos below (car is a bit dirty :)):

new-wheels-02.jpg

new-wheels-05.jpg

new-wheels-07.jpg

new-wheels-10.jpg

new-wheels-15.jpg

new-wheels-20.jpg

new-wheels-30.jpg

Nice looking wheels Richard. :wave::wave:

Hope you don't have any problems with the non-run flat tires--a blowout would probably cause substanial damage!!

BTW, make sure you remove the clips...

I forgot to mention... when bolting on aftermarket wheels, you must remove the retaining clips that hold the brake rotors in place. They are placed on there during the build process at the plant to keep the rotors from falling off during assembly. There should be two per rotor at all four corners - they may not be there if your car has been serviced and they had to remove the clips to fix a problem.

What the clips look like (I shot it after half removing it so its easier to see):

IMG_3558.jpg

The stock wheels have a little cutout for them, but aftermarket wheels don't and will cause your new tires and wheels will not seat correctly and they'll probably behave like they're out of balance.

What the back of stock wheels look like to accomomdate the clips:

back-of-wheel.jpg

Additionally, the TPM sensors for 05+ XLR's must use an RF tool to trigger them for the car to learn its position. If you want to buy one, the least expensive one I found that will work is the ATEQ VT10 for about $100. I ended up finding a local shop that had one and they took care of it for me. The process looks like this:

Hope you don't have any problems with the non-run flat tires--a blowout would probably cause substanial damage!!

boy that would suck... [knocks on wood]

GREAT posting and GREAT pics! The wheels look awesome!

I'd never heard of the breakaway stems. Interesting!

I used to be able to use a strong magnet to program my TPMS, but the new ones I have seem immune to the magnet. I'll have to look for the reprogramming tool - I haven't rotated my tires due to the lack of it.

Thanks for posting!!

I used to be able to use a strong magnet to program my TPMS, but the new ones I have seem immune to the magnet. I'll have to look for the reprogramming tool - I haven't rotated my tires due to the lack of it.

On my 06 Yukon Denali I can just deflate or inflate 5psi or so and get the TPM sensors to register... personally, I think thats a great way of doing it since you don't need any additional gear (magnet or otherwise).

The magnet method is still ok I suppose since magnets aren't that hard to find.

But these new TPM sensors where you can ONLY use an RF tool is really lame and annoying... I wish I knew why they did this, maybe I'd be less peaved about it. :)

If I remember correctly a lady posted either on the old forum or this one that she put new tires on her XLR but they were not run flats. She had a blow out and it totally destroyed her fender.

Didn't Standby have a post on here somewhere about his tires rubbing the inner fender wells? I thought they were 275's tire. How you get a 285 tire to work?

Edit: Found it!!! Post #23

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3340&page=2

I actually responded to that thread yesterday (post 30).

I don't know why Standby had a problem. I'm assuming he has an offset issue with the foose rims he has. Its possible that a small spacer will fix his problem.

My wheels were specifically built for the XLR by Forgeline and spec'ed by D3. They were completely custom fitted. You can see from the photos that the 285's fit fine... and when I mounted them it looked like I could even go to a 295 - and maybe I'll try that when I wear these PS2's down.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and information. The wheels and tires look great. Enjoy!

Bruce :)

I don't believe a spacer would help Standby--the tires were rubbing on the outer inner fender well. Putting a spacer on would make it rub worse.

I don't believe a spacer would help Standby--the tires were rubbing on the outer inner fender well. Putting a spacer on would make it rub worse.

I think you're incorrect on this.

First off, I don't know how the tires could hit the outer fender - there is so much space between the top of the tire to the fender that you would have to drop the car all the way down and then weigh it down for it to rub.

And in post 23 of that thread it says "inner liner":

"I feel the need to let everyone know that 275's are too big for the rear and hit the __inner liner__ and tear it up."

Additionally, when I was mounting my new wheels, I could see that it was clear that it would be possible to tear up that inner liner the way it is made... but outer fender seems impossible to rub.

Richard,

I am not incorrect on this--I actually saw where they were rubbing when we were in San Antonio. I guess saying outer fender was incorrect, it was in inner liner, but the outer sidewall of the tire.

I think you're incorrect on this.

First off, I don't know how the tires could hit the outer fender - there is so much space between the top of the tire to the fender that you would have to drop the car all the way down and then weigh it down for it to rub.

And in post 23 of that thread it says "inner liner":

"I feel the need to let everyone know that 275's are too big for the rear and hit the __inner liner__ and tear it up."

Additionally, when I was mounting my new wheels, I could see that it was clear that it would be possible to tear up that inner liner the way it is made... but outer fender seems impossible to rub.

Richard,

I am not incorrect on this--I actually saw where they were rubbing when we were in San Antonio. I guess saying outer fender was incorrect, it was in inner liner, but the outer sidewall of the tire.

Wow - ok...

I still don't understand how that could be... when you look at this photo I measured about 3 inches of space between the fender and tire.

new-wheels-30.jpg

I'm having no issues with rubbing... and D3 doesn't seem to have any issues either - and all of their mod'ed cars are lowered to the ground like this:

09XLRV_002_loweredcopy.jpg

I wonder whats up with standby's car...

[shrug]

Regardless - I have 285's on mine... and I'm pretty certain that a 295 would fit.

Hmmmm... 285/30/20's That's means the tire is 85.5mm high. Maybe Standby's were 275/40/20's, Those would be 110mm high. Maybe that would make a differences. A difference of about 25mm, that's about an inch isn't it?

Hmmmm... 285/30/20's That's means the tire is 85.5mm high. Maybe Standby's were 275/40/20's, Those would be 110mm high. Maybe that would make a differences. A difference of about 25mm, that's about an inch isn't it?

From the tire calculator I was using - tire height:

285/30/20 - 26.73 in - 678.94 mm
275/40/20 - 28.66 in - 727.96 mm

That would essentially be a 2inch difference.

Thats almost 6% difference in circumference between the stock 255/40/19's and the 275/40/20... if the tire circumference from the front to rear isn't close enough the ABS/Stability computer may freak out (not to mentioned the speedo being off 6%)... that would require an ECM reprogram to correct.

Anways - i'm not sure the tire size really caused the rubbing - the D3 cars are lowered too and there's no rubbing with 285's (let alone a 275).

Something doesn't jive...

You can measure the space while sitting still, but in reality, when your car is going up and down on uneven pavement, or getting into the great HP, you will no longer have three inches of clearance, so I guess I better jump in here to help clarify things.
The Foose speedsters might actually be offset enough that when I put the 275's on at Just Tires, they might have been closer to the inner liner, but all managers at Just Tires agreed that 275's would work and had no problem with giving me new 255's and buying the inner liners and putting them on for me.
Here is where the problem lies. Riding around town I never heard them rubbing at all, but when I left for SA we hit a lot of uneven pavement at high rates of speed which only helped the weight of the car to bounce and hit the tires.
The 275's hit the very edge of the inner liner where it meets the fender and they had plenty of clearance while standing still on top and on the inside of the wheel too. Having a V also adds to the rear sitting down when I get on it. Hope this clears up why the tires where hitting. Cubby's right, he could see I had clearance while the car was not moving but I think he understood why it was hitting out on the Freeways.
On another note, my fender is no longer screwed and all damage has been fixed, including the front bumper being repainted
Wow - ok...

I still don't understand how that could be... when you look at this photo I measured about 3 inches of space between the fender and tire.

new-wheels-30.jpg

I'm having no issues with rubbing... and D3 doesn't seem to have any issues either - and all of their mod'ed cars are lowered to the ground like this:

09XLRV_002_loweredcopy.jpg

I wonder whats up with standby's car...

[shrug]

Regardless - I have 285's on mine... and I'm pretty certain that a 295 would fit.

You can measure the space while sitting still, but in reality, when your car is going up and down on uneven pavement, or getting into the great HP, you will no longer have three inches of clearance, so I guess I better jump in here to help clarify things.
The Foose speedsters might actually be offset enough that when I put the 275's on at Just Tires, they might have been closer to the inner liner, but all managers at Just Tires agreed that 275's would work and had no problem with giving me new 255's and buying the inner liners and putting them on for me.
Here is where the problem lies. Riding around town I never heard them rubbing at all, but when I left for SA we hit a lot of uneven pavement at high rates of speed which only helped the weight of the car to bounce and hit the tires.
The 275's hit the very edge of the inner liner where it meets the fender and they had plenty of clearance while standing still on top and on the inside of the wheel too. Having a V also adds to the rear sitting down when I get on it. Hope this clears up why the tires where hitting. Cubby's right, he could see I had clearance while the car was not moving but I think he understood why it was hitting out on the Freeways.
On another note, my fender is no longer screwed and all damage has been fixed, including the front bumper being repainted

Ok - sounds like an offset issue.

What was the tire size that caused the problem? 275/30/20 or 275/40/20? (or some other size?)

What is the rim width and offset of the speedsters you have?

Do you have any photos to share to illustrate what happened?

Rich,
Tire size was 275/35Z/R20
Foose Speedsters: the width is 5x120x8.5 and offset is 45

Ok - sounds like an offset issue.

What was the tire size that caused the problem? 275/30/20 or 275/40/20? (or some other size?)

What is the rim width and offset of the speedsters you have?

Do you have any photos to share to illustrate what happened?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom