Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Oil pressure question.....

XFireXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR
Before my engine rebuild my oil pressure gauge would read right at 20psi while idle and go up as I accelerate, owners manual states that it should read between 20psi - 80psi. When I picked the car up the oil pressure reading was at about 10psi at idle, called the service manager and he stated that as long as I have a reading of at least 5psi everything would be OK. The next day when I started the car the oil pressure reads a steady 60psi while idle, is this OK....am I getting a higher reading due to the new oil pump......was I getting low oil pressure before the new pump? :dunno:

:cool:

When I start my car the oil pressure reads 40-60. When everything warms up it reads 20 psi. And goes up as accelerated. I've never read below 20 psi. And I've been on some long ones. With a fresh oil change you should be on the higher side of the readings and as age it will decrease. If your only getting 5 psi. that seems on the low side? Problem is the oil pump system looked to have a lot of connections. Leaky connection is like trying to suck liquid through a straw with a hole in it. Doesn't work to good. Maybe have them hook a oil pressure gauge to the block to verify accurate reading and check dash gauge accuracy. Either way good luck.

When I start my car the oil pressure reads 40-60. When everything warms up it reads 20 psi. And goes up as accelerated. I've never read below 20 psi. And I've been on some long ones. With a fresh oil change you should be on the higher side of the readings and as age it will decrease. If your only getting 5 psi. that seems on the low side? Problem is the oil pump system looked to have a lot of connections. Leaky connection is like trying to suck liquid through a straw with a hole in it. Doesn't work to good. Maybe have them hook a oil pressure gauge to the block to verify accurate reading and check dash gauge accuracy. Either way good luck.

Thanks for the reply and advice, I have to drop the car off on Tuesday so they can have the drivers side rocker panel replaced I will have them check it out. I have only put abot 20 miles on the car since the repair.

Let us know what you find out. I've been noticing my pressure has been reading a little low (10-15 psi) after warm up for the last month or so.

My car is at the body shop to repair the rocker panel damage. When the car gets back to the dealer, they will manually check the pressure to see whats going on.

I just noticed this morning that on startup and idle, the needle is pegged at 80psi. As I accelerate, the oil pressure drops to around 60, but it never drops below this. When I first got it, the pressure was around 20 or so at idle and rise to 40-60 depending on my acceration. Anybody have any ideas why this would be??

The reason the pres. is at 60-80 at start up is the oil is cool and thicker. After warm up it's at operating temp and viscosity. The oil pump is driven off the crankshaft when your at idle it's pumping at 500-600 rpm. When you accelerate your pump spins faster building pressure in return. You need more lube the faster you spin her.

The reason the pres. is at 60-80 at start up is the oil is cool and thicker. After warm up it's at operating temp and viscosity. The oil pump is driven off the crankshaft when your at idle it's pumping at 500-600 rpm. When you accelerate your pump spins faster building pressure in return. You need more lube the faster you spin her.

Thanks, I realize this, but why, in the last week or so, would it be at 80 at start up, then drop to 40-60 when I accelerate. As I had stated above, the car just started this - it has always been 20 or so at startup then rise to 40 or so as I accelerate. Not a new oil change, probably about 75% left on oil monitor. Could I possibly need a new oil pressure sensor?

The only way to confirm your readings is hook a external gauge on where you filter is located. Yes the sensor could be going. At colder temps your gonna get higher readings. You could possibly have a restriction but wouldn't think so. I took mine out yesterday 70 degrees when started it ran 40-60 then didn't go below 20 all night and I also have 76% oil life left. I did read that your filter bypass could be malfunctioning or your pick up could be restricted. Maybe verify your pressures it's a good start. Good luck.

The only way to confirm your readings is hook a external gauge on where you filter is located. Yes the sensor could be going. At colder temps your gonna get higher readings. You could possibly have a restriction but wouldn't think so. I took mine out yesterday 70 degrees when started it ran 40-60 then didn't go below 20 all night and I also have 76% oil life left. I did read that your filter bypass could be malfunctioning or your pick up could be restricted. Maybe verify your pressures it's a good start. Good luck.

Thanks, will get it check out...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back