Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil Pressure

ECurtis

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004, Xenon Blue XLR
What is your normal oil pressure?

Yesterday morning in the Davenport area it was about 45 degrees F. I decided to go for a drive in the XLR. I started it and let it warm up for approximately 3 minutes. This is my standard practice. The engine had reved down by that time. However, I noticed that my oil pressure was up to about 65 psi. I drove at 35 mph for about 15 minutes and the pressure reduced to about 45 psi and remained their thoughout driving. Of course when I would accelerate the pressure would momentarily increase. The owners manual says that the pressure should be between 20-80 psi (I believe), but it got me wondering if there were a lot of differences between the pressures these cars run at. It is interesting to note that this is normal operation for my XLR whether the outside temperature is cool (35 degrees F) or hot (80 degrees F). I run full synthetic.

What is your normal pressure?

My oil pressure varies quite a bit depending on my driving. Normal driving is around 45-50, as I step on the gas the pressure will rise to 65-70. When I am idling, the pressure is around 40-45. The last time I drove it before putting her away for the winter, I noticed the pressure was pegged to the highest pressure; when I idled, the pressure dropped to 40-60. Before I put her away for the winter, I noticed the oil life remaining was 22%; maybe the reason for the high driving oil pressure??:dunno:
Anyway, I hope this helps...

My pressure jumps up to 60 and/or65 psig when I first start up. Tonight it was 61F in my garage when I started up and the pressure was at 65 or so. I've seen it at 60 on startup when it was 45F. My DIC reports 28% oil life left.

FWIW my 88 Vette's oil pressure is almost exactly the same as the XLR's on startup.

My oil pressure varies quite a bit depending on my driving. Normal driving is around 45-50, as I step on the gas the pressure will rise to 65-70. When I am idling, the pressure is around 40-45. The last time I drove it before putting her away for the winter, I noticed the pressure was pegged to the highest pressure; when I idled, the pressure dropped to 40-60. Before I put her away for the winter, I noticed the oil life remaining was 22%; maybe the reason for the high driving oil pressure??:dunno:
Anyway, I hope this helps...

My pressure jumps up to 60 and/or65 psig when I first start up. Tonight it was 61F in my garage when I started up and the pressure was at 65 or so. I've seen it at 60 on startup when it was 45F. My DIC reports 28% oil life left.

FWIW my 88 Vette's oil pressure is almost exactly the same as the XLR's on startup.

I have noticed that whether I have just changed the oil and am at 100 percent or at 20 percent It still operates behaves that same (as I stated in the orginal post). I have never experienced the car being at (80) psi. I think that these cars like to warm up before they are really ready to be driven. I seems a little odd that it takes about 15-20 minutes before the pressure reduces to 40-45 psi. Interestingly, on idle I have gotten down to 25 psi.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom