Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Owners of rare Cadillacs stop in Billings

KBZK Bozeman News
by David Jay - MTN News

attachment.php

BILLINGS, MT - A former chief designer for the General Motors calls the Cadillac XLR the best car the company has ever manufactured.

Some of those classic vehicles went on display at the Yellowstone Cellars and Winery, Wednesday night in Billings.

The Montana XLR Rocket Run made a stop in Billings, with owners showing five XLR's and two CTS's.

David North of Billings, helped design the Pontiac GTO, Cadillac El Dorado, the Oldsmobile Tornoado, the Buick Rivera and the Cadillac Seville.

He says the Cadillac XLR surpasses those and other GM cars.

GM built more than 16,652 XLR's from 2004 to 2009.

Some called the XLR a Corvette in tuxedo or a Corvette on steroids, since G-M built it on a Corvette frame.

"If you're a died in the world Corvette guy, you're going to say, hey that's not a Corvette," North said. "That's a dolled up Corvette. But if you're looking for Corvette performance, but in a package that's more glamorous, that's it. When we somebody loves what we did, that puts a smile on our face."

Full Story: Owners of rare Cadillacs stop in Billings | KBZK.com | Z7 | Bozeman, Montana

Attachments

• 9E35A87732DDEACC4925E77BE1A92491_787_442.jpg
    9E35A87732DDEACC4925E77BE1A92491_787_442.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 613
"If you're a died in the world Corvette guy, you're going to say, hey that's not a Corvette," North said.

Uhhh. I think he might have meant to say, "If you're a dyed-in-the-wool Corvette guy . . . . "

CCC :chuckle

"If you're a died in the world Corvette guy, you're going to say, hey that's not a Corvette," North said.

Uhhh. I think he might have meant to say, "If you're a dyed-in-the-wool Corvette guy . . . . "

CCC :chuckle

Yeah I was a little stumped on that one too. I had to re read that over and over. I would have said "yeah or if you're a die hard corvette guy." :( :dunno:

I just got back home from the Run -- had to cut it short. There are a few mis-quotes in the newspaper article, I believe.

David North, and his wife Pat, are as gracious as they come. There are some pic's coming that will show you just how influential Dave was within GM. We had the pleasure and honor to visit them at their home, and it's filled with memorabilia from Dave's days at GM, and testimonials to his value.

He holds the PATENT for the Buick "Reata", and told us the history of what he had to do to get it built. The name came from the 600,000 acre ranch in the movie, "Giant" (with James Dean, Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor, to name just a few). Dave also designed the Olds "Tornado", the Pontiac GTO, and was involved with many (!) more models.

Getting to drive those extraordinary roads with the other XLR folks was a distinct privilege, and the scenery is incomparable. What a thrill. Thanks to all of you for a truly memorable experience. :wave:

Tim

Owners of rare Cadillacs stop in Billings

KBZK Bozeman News
by David Jay - MTN News

attachment.php

BILLINGS, MT - A former chief designer for the General Motors calls the Cadillac XLR the best car the company has ever manufactured.

Some of those classic vehicles went on display at the Yellowstone Cellars and Winery, Wednesday night in Billings.

The Montana XLR Rocket Run made a stop in Billings, with owners showing five XLR's and two CTS's.

David North of Billings, helped design the Pontiac GTO, Cadillac El Dorado, the Oldsmobile Tornoado, the Buick Rivera and the Cadillac Seville.

He says the Cadillac XLR surpasses those and other GM cars.

GM built more than 16,652 XLR's from 2004 to 2009.

Some called the XLR a Corvette in tuxedo or a Corvette on steroids, since G-M built it on a Corvette frame.

"If you're a died in the world Corvette guy, you're going to say, hey that's not a Corvette," North said. "That's a dolled up Corvette. But if you're looking for Corvette performance, but in a package that's more glamorous, that's it. When we somebody loves what we did, that puts a smile on our face."

Full Story: Owners of rare Cadillacs stop in Billings | KBZK.com | Z7 | Bozeman, Montana

Wish I had a warehouse, because then I would have room to store so many rare beauties like the Torino, GTO and other classics and rarities

I just got back home from the Run -- had to cut it short. There are a few mis-quotes in the newspaper article, I believe.

David North, and his wife Pat, are as gracious as they come. There are some pic's coming that will show you just how influential Dave was within GM. We had the pleasure and honor to visit them at their home, and it's filled with memorabilia from Dave's days at GM, and testimonials to his value.

He holds the PATENT for the Buick "Reata", and told us the history of what he had to do to get it built. The name came from the 600,000 acre ranch in the movie, "Giant" (with James Dean, Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor, to name just a few). Dave also designed the Olds "Tornado", the Pontiac GTO, and was involved with many (!) more models.

Getting to drive those extraordinary roads with the other XLR folks was a distinct privilege, and the scenery is incomparable. What a thrill. Thanks to all of you for a truly memorable experience. :wave:

Tim

Tim enjoyed your company along the way. Glad to hear you are home safe and sound.

@ hawk eye us too, want my 52 Studebaker pick up done wife wants a 68 GTO........

To Rod & Cindy, Montana Rocket Run !!!! What a Blast! Thanks! : )

Hi all, :wave:

What blast! Thanks Rod & Cindy you are both truly great people and did an absolutely 'fabulous job' organizing this whole event. We cannot even begin to thank you enough for all you accomplished and having made this such a wonderful time for us all with all your hard work.

We got back home last night after driving 15.5 hours non-stop from Big Sky Montana. Comfortable trip, and just cruised. Went from Big Sky through Yellowstone, around Yellowstone Lake with the 'top down' once the sun came out. Then out the Yellowstone East Exit into Wyoming headed S.E. to Cody where we picked up I-25 South, then 'Hammer Down'. Pulled in the driveway at 10:45 P.M. last night. No problems at all other than 'de-insect bugging Goldie's nose' when we stopped for gas.:)

Everything you scheduled worked out great. Montana is such a beautiful State and everyday was new and exciting. The evening at The Winery with our cars on display was a 'hoot'. ;)

To meet with the Head Chief Designer for G.M. David North and his charming wife who graciously opened their lovely home to us all and shared their time and knowledge was very special. :cool:

The description of "The XLR as a Corvette in a Tuxedo" cracked me up.

Thanks again!

What a great time.:thumbsup Good Job.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry