Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paging Cadillac Tech I Need Help!!!!

XLR ED

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR Crimson Pearl/Ebony
I went to start my 2004 XLR and a message came on press brake pedal to start. I pressed the pedal and nothing. I tried this a couple of times and nothing. I got out of the car and locked it and then unlocked it and nothing. I tried again and it started but wouldn't come out of park. Then I put all my weight on the brake pedal and it came out of park.

What could be the problem. Is there a switch on the brake pedal that could be the problem. Also it did this once before and I don't know if this is related to the problem. While driving along the service stabilatrac message came on along with the traction control light. I pressed the reset to take the message off but the light stayed on. Each time after this has happened when the car is started again the light goes out and no more messages. The two times this has happened the car also gave the press the brake pedal to start message and wouldn't start. After the car is finally started and it is shut off it will start again just fine.

That reminded me of "Calling Dr. Bombay!"

How is your battery voltage? I had a similar issue (including the Stabilirak message) once upon a time. Battery replacement solved it.

(I mean teh battery in the engne compartment, rather than the fob battery)

I now have the XLR hooked up to a battery tender if she'l be idle for more than a few weeks. She likes to call the Mother Ship and do a variety of other things while waiting for me to drive her which pulls the battery down to levels good enough to do some things, but not enough to start her up.

I guess my shorter question would be, do you still have the original batery? It's probably toast.

Battery seems fine. It isn't the original. The car always started in the past and when you press the button it starts quick and strong.

Someone else had this problem awhile back, I'll have to search the posts to find it, but it seems to me there was a switch or something under the center console that was causing the problem. As soon as I find the post, I'll report back here with the link, which hopefully has the solution for you.

Cubby558,

Thanks for the link. I think I have another problem because of the no start issue which puts push brake pedal to start message and when you press the start button nothing. After a few very hard pushes on the pedal it started and then another hard push of the pedal it comes out of park.

I hope Cadillac Tech may know whats wrong.

XLR ED, you owe us a case of Yuengling if this works!!! :lol:

So you know about that beer. I live within walking distance of that place. OCC is building a Yuengling chopper which they are going to be giving away sometime this year.

BCM

You may have a problem with the BCM...sound familiar Rich?
See document ID #1777175 or PIC3965. Released on 3/7/06 for more info. The bulletin states that the car will start but not come out of park intermittently. The fuel gauge may go to empty and multiple U codes stored. If you wait about 20 minutes for the BCM to power down, the car will operate properly.

I would think that the Stabilitrak message is due to the SWPS connector @ the base of the steering column. See bulletin #06-02-35-002B or document ID 2032653 released on 10/19/07.

I hope this helps.

I believe the problem is associated with the oscillation overthruster. :chuckle

You may have a problem with the BCM...sound familiar Rich?
See document ID #1777175 or PIC3965. Released on 3/7/06 for more info. The bulletin states that the car will start but not come out of park intermittently. The fuel gauge may go to empty and multiple U codes stored. If you wait about 20 minutes for the BCM to power down, the car will operate properly.

I would think that the Stabilitrak message is due to the SWPS connector @ the base of the steering column. See bulletin #06-02-35-002B or document ID 2032653 released on 10/19/07.

I hope this helps.

My main problem is that the car will not start and the press brake pedal message comes on. It is as if you were trying to start the car and didn't have your foot on the pedal and the message would come up to remind you only I do have my foot on the pedal and it will not start. It has only done it twice to me. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere with it.

Cadillac Tech,

I read the bulletin about installing the clip and went to my local Chevrolet dealer and they had one in stock. I bought it. How does the cover come down to get to the SWPS connector? The dealer told me the time to install is .03 so it can't be that bad.

2004 Cadillac XLR | XLR (VIN Y) Service Manual | Body | Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1207872
Driver Knee Bolster Panel Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel door and the rear compartment lid release switch.
    1.1.Pry carefully at the lower edge of the switch to release the locking tab.

<tbody>
    </tbody>

1.2.Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch.

<tbody>
    </tbody>

1. Remove the lower retaining screws from the driver knee bolster trim panel.
  2. Grasp the trim panel at the side edges.
  3. Pull firmly rearward to release the locking tabs.
  4. Remove the trim panel.
Installation Procedure

1. Insert the electrical connector for the fuel door and the rear compartment lid release switch through the opening in the trim panel.
  2. Install the driver knee bolster trim panel.Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.
  3. Install the remaining driver knee bolster trim panel retaining screw.Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.8 N·m (16 lb in).
  4. Install the fuel door and the rear compartment lid release switch.
    4.1.Connect the electrical connector to the switch.

<tbody>
    </tbody>

4.2.Align the switch, then push to secure the switch.

<tbody>
    </tbody>
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

I took the panel down as per your instructions and the other plastic cover. I installed the clip. I drove the car for 2 hours with no messages and everything worked fine. I sure hope it fixed the stabilitrak problem.

I took the panel down as per your instructions and the other plastic cover. I installed the clip. I drove the car for 2 hours with no messages and everything worked fine. I sure hope it fixed the stabilitrak problem.

That should take care of your problem. Happy motoring.:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back