Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Pics from Chicago Air & Water Show

cubby558

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader
Here are some pics from the Chicago Air Show this past Sunday. As I found out when we got there--no Blue Angels. The Air Show alternates between them and the USAF Thunderbirds each year, so we got to see the Thunderbirds. Cloud cover increased throughout the day and then the rain came. Still had a great time, Enjoy.

C17 Transport
DSC01259.jpg

KC-135 Stratotanker
DSC01267.jpg

Next three are the LIMA LIMA Stunt Team (locally based)
DSC01271.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog)
DSC01279.jpg

P-51 Mustang, A-10 Thunderbolt, F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon
DSC01286.jpg

The F-16 Squadron of USAF Thunderbirds
DSC01288.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

Hard to get these centered in the pictures as fast as they travel--and the sound is awesome. In one pass the F15 went by just under supersonic at 100ft off the water--too quick to get a picture!!

Very cool pictures, Cubby .... I never saw jets do an air show over a skyline before .... And, I don't know why, but I don't ever remember seeing the Thunderbirds. We always have The Blue Angels .... must be because this is an Navy/Marine/AFB city ...
I love that formation picture over the skyline - it looks like something out of King Kong!
You're sitting on a lake that looks as big as our bays to the ocean!
Thanks for posting them ... funny the places I have been thanks to the pictures posted on this forum. :rocker:

Great Pictures

Thanks Cubby, I really enjoyed seeing the Chicago skyline which brought back a lot of good memories. I went to school in Chicago in 1957 and 1958, lived on the near north side just a few blocks from the lake. I do not miss the winters in Illinois.

Thanks for posting Cubby, that show looks like a lot of fun. Did Supa stay out of trouble?

This looks like fun. Maybe it's something that the MMs would want to do next year.

Kathy:)

It is a good show, but I'd only want to do it like we did--on my buddies boat. That way it's not crowded. I did check and you can go to the Gary airport during the show and watch everything take-off and land, but you can't see the other stuff from there. The other show that I heard was really good was the one in Oshkosk, WI. My buddy we went with used to fly at that show, but he quit as he is getting up there in age.:chuckle

I know Bob Leonard goes up there for that one, he can tell you more about that one. I'm up for any airshow--I am fascinated by planes.

This looks like fun. Maybe it's something that the MMs would want to do next year.

Kathy:)

It is a good show, but I'd only want to do it like we did--on my buddies boat. That way it's not crowded. I did check and you can go to the Gary airport during the show and watch everything take-off and land, but you can't see the other stuff from there. The other show that I heard was really good was the one in Oshkosk, WI. My buddy we went with used to fly at that show, but he quit as he is getting up there in age.:chuckle

I know Bob Leonard goes up there for that one, he can tell you more about that one. I'm up for any airshow--I am fascinated by planes.

Either one sound good to me!

Offutt AFB (home of SAC, or whatever they call it now) here at Bellevue,NE (where Ben was stationed) has a annual air show. You can walk around and look at all the planes. That C-17, I've walked thru. It feels about as wide as a 3 lane interstate road, how they fly it is beyond me. The year of the first Gulf war, they had a F117, Steath fighter there. It was roped off and 4 ARMED guards around it, didn't what to mess with them! They have planes flying and shows too. Ever seen a F-16 take off the runway and go straight up out of sight? That's something to see!! Air shows are a lot of fun! And can be loud!

Offutt AFB (home of SAC, or whatever they call it now) here at Bellevue,NE (where Ben was stationed) has a annual air show. You can walk around and look at all the planes. That C-17, I've walked thru. It feels about as wide as a 3 lane interstate road, how they fly it is beyond me. The year of the first Gulf war, they had a F117, Steath fighter there. It was roped off and 4 ARMED guards around it, didn't what to mess with them! They have planes flying and shows too. Ever seen a F-16 take off the runway and go straight up out of sight? That's something to see!! Air shows are a lot of fun! And can be loud!
They are loud. I was taking a nice nap one flew over and woke me up. Scared the crap out of me. :D

Thanks Kev. I always had a problem with Chicago airspace ever since Dailey destroyed Meigs field. I had used it on many ocasions for busines and pleasure trips to the area.

Oshkosh is quite an event. I flew in there this year for the first time. All went quite well. I had friends staying there in a very nice Bluebird Motor Coach. They let me have a couch. Much better than a tent!

This weekend we're having a airshow at our local airport (KMTO) I have been on the planning committee and will be there helping put on the show. It is shaping up to be a fun event.

I hope to learn a trick or two from the Pyro crew we hired!

Bob

Great to hear! I too am sad Daley destroyed Meigs field; my buddy use to fly up there and walk to his boat (Burnham Harbor is just west of the field) and can take a cab to anywhere in the city in 10-15 minutes.

Maybe the Pyro guys will have some 'leftovers' for you for the Effingham party :chuckle:laugh::chuckle:laugh: Have fun, we will see you and Paula in a few weeks.

Thanks Kev. I always had a problem with Chicago airspace ever since Dailey destroyed Meigs field. I had used it on many ocasions for busines and pleasure trips to the area.

Oshkosh is quite an event. I flew in there this year for the first time. All went quite well. I had friends staying there in a very nice Bluebird Motor Coach. They let me have a couch. Much better than a tent!

This weekend we're having a airshow at our local airport (KMTO) I have been on the planning committee and will be there helping put on the show. It is shaping up to be a fun event.

I hope to learn a trick or two from the Pyro crew we hired!

Bob

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back