Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Poor performance from standstill...

C-A-R-S

My XLR/V(s)
05 Black XLR
Poor performance from standstill... I have been fighting with my dealer for a while, actually since I got the car about poor performance when pulling away on a dry road.
My car does not have enough power to light the traction light if I'm pulling away on a dry road. If the road is wet, the traction light will light any time I touch accelerator.
If I turn off my traction control and the stability track, and punch the throttle from a standstill, the car does not have enough power to make the back tires squeal.
As the engine RPM builds up, the car seems to accelerate quicker, and I might get a couple of small squeals from the back tires.
In presenting these conditions to the dealer, they claim that they don't have any XLR's of my vintage to compare to. Apparently in 06, the XLR is got the six speed transmission, and according to them, accelerate differently.
I honestly believe my torque converter is bad and is not letting the engine RPM build up as I pull away from standstill.
Does anyone out there, have a pre-06 XLR that can either light the traction light, or turn over the rear tires, while pulling away in a straight line when the dry road.
Every other car I own several Eldorados, an 09 Canyon, and a Cavalier four-cylinder station wagon, all have enough power to turn over the wheels while pulling away, or light the traction light.

Do you have a standard XLR or an XLR-V?

On my 06 XLR-V I find it difficult to break the rear tires loose from a standstill as well... if I turn off traction control or switch it to performance mode it can occasionally burn out but I wouldn't say its consistant.

If you have a standard XLR I'm not sure you'd have enough low end torque to constantly break gravel... but since I don't have a standard XLR I can't speak definitively on that since I know that the standard XLR has narrower tires than the V as well.

The V was first produced as a 2006 model. Mine is the standard 2006 XLR and I have to be very careful, just barely give it a little gas starting up as it always wants to throw gravel and squeal the tires. I am sorry you are having this problem. The only alteration I have done to my X is change the grill to the V Mesh Grill. Everything else is just as it came from the factory. Lola's Mom can look at your car and tell you if it is a girl or a boy, she told me mine is a boy (Little Bugger) maybe yours is a girl. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

To me, and from that description it doesn't sound like you have a problem, especially with the torque converter or trans. You really need to put a stop watch on it, or even better do some real diagnostics. Remember, it's more of a highway cruiser than a stoplight bandit.
RuthAnn, next time I see you can you confirm if mine is a girl or a boy? I named her Ondrya, I hope she's a girl, a Valley Girl! (let's see if there are any sharp Frank Zappa fans out there)
Bruce

To me, and from that description it doesn't sound like you have a problem, especially with the torque converter or trans. You really need to put a stop watch on it, or even better do some real diagnostics. Remember, it's more of a highway cruiser than a stoplight bandit.
RuthAnn, next time I see you can you confirm if mine is a girl or a boy? I named her Ondrya, I hope she's a girl, a Valley Girl! (let's see if there are any sharp Frank Zappa fans out there)
Bruce
Oh, yes! She is most definetly a girl .... and a most beautiful one at that!

(P.S. ... Ray needs more cloths ... email me!)

S'cuse my hi-jack .... Im ':burnout:!

551307465_8LGor-XL.jpg
-

Now I'm pretty sure mine's a boy.

Which one???
The XLR is a girl ... Looks like a foxy "Roxy" ..:chuckle

(Both your cars are beautiful! One as unique as the other.)
(you are so going to get me in trouble for hijacking)

The V was first produced as a 2006 model. Mine is the standard 2006 XLR and I have to be very careful, just barely give it a little gas starting up as it always wants to throw gravel and squeal the tires. I am sorry you are having this problem. The only alteration I have done to my X is change the grill to the V Mesh Grill. Everything else is just as it came from the factory. Lola's Mom can look at your car and tell you if it is a girl or a boy, she told me mine is a boy (Little Bugger) maybe yours is a girl. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Ditto.....same here.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back