Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Popping Sounds in front wheels when turning slowly and sharply into parking space

Perdidoguy

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR
I have a 2007 XLR with about 85,000 miles. Had it a few years and not long after I bought it I noticed a popping sound coming from the front wheels when I was turning sharply into a parking space. I checked everything and concluded that it must be the bearings in the front hubs. I ordered two new hub assemblies and installed. It seemed to have solved the problem but my wife said that she still heard it from time to time. So about a year after I put the new hub assemblies in (and maybe 1000 miles), the popping sound is back with a vengeance. It is a terrible popping noise that really sounds like I am damaging something. The car drives perfectly otherwise. No shimmy, no slack, nothing. Any ideas?

I have a 2007 XLR with about 85,000 miles. Had it a few years and not long after I bought it I noticed a popping sound coming from the front wheels when I was turning sharply into a parking space. I checked everything and concluded that it must be the bearings in the front hubs. I ordered two new hub assemblies and installed. It seemed to have solved the problem but my wife said that she still heard it from time to time. So about a year after I put the new hub assemblies in (and maybe 1000 miles), the popping sound is back with a vengeance. It is a terrible popping noise that really sounds like I am damaging something. The car drives perfectly otherwise. No shimmy, no slack, nothing. Any ideas?

Just a thought, but your issue doesn’t sound the same, like the issue I had! I had to have the rear end pumpkin gear plates replaced. I swore it felt like a 4x4 truck in 4 wheel drive on a hard black top surface, only at very slow speed while turning very sharp it felt like the front end was hopping or skipping (but I did not recall any noise) and it was actually the rear end gear plates slipping, causing a chatter affect when pushing the car in a full turn! Thank God for my aftermarket warranty it was covered, they tore out the whole rear end to replace the old plates with new upgraded plates. Which did take care of the problem! So my question is are you sure the noise is coming from the front end? Hope this may help!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had similar noises from the spring adjuster pads being broken off or pads worn off and just metal plates rubbing on lower control arm.

I test drove a 2006 that had that popping noise that felt similar to what was described in the original thread by Perdidoguy. I too, had the sense that the car was stuck in 4 wheel drive, and that the front differential was not dis-engaging. Well, of course, our xlr's have a ton of options, but 4 wheel drive is not one. I checked this web site carefully, (I don't recall just where I found the remedy), but this issue is NOT uncommon with xlr's, and the problem apparently is that the rear differential was designed to be "so sticky" that on some units the two REAR wheels want to spin in tight corners, and the result is the pop and jump in the front end. Members here stated the the fix was draining the original differential oil and replacing the fluid with an up grade GM product that provides a "slicker" environment for the differential to let go in those tight turns. Do some research here to ensure that I am informing you correctly... Happy day, James

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back