Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Potential upgrade to our nav system.

This is very interesting and sounds promising. I wonder what the cost and availablity of the 2 DIN unit will be.

:cool:

This Pioneer Unit is the new replacement for the one I have in my 2007 Navigator. I can't see why this would not work in the XLR. I am surprised more peoiple have not tried to upgrade to these.

AVIC-Z140BH - <b>NEW!</b> - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display, Built-In Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4/4S | Pioneer Electronics USA

IPOD connection or better yet, just load your music on an SD card that hides behind the screen.

This Pioneer Unit is the new replacement for the one I have in my 2007 Navigator. I can't see why this would not work in the XLR. I am surprised more peoiple have not tried to upgrade to these.

---Maybe because the site says this unit won't be available until Spring 2012?

:wave: CC

Is this xm also ? If not its worthless !

Is this xm also ? If not its worthless !

The info indicates there is an available XM module that you can get.

It sounds like a pretty swift system ... not sure I'd swap out the XLR nav for it - but gives me options in my other cars. It almost sounds similar to Cadillac's new CUE system. :rocker:

Not sure how (trick ) it could be if they didnt even think of Sat radio off the bat ! Adding another (module) to it sounds like piece meal to me.

Not sure how (trick ) it could be if they didnt even think of Sat radio off the bat ! Adding another (module) to it sounds like piece meal to me.

I'm thinking that since they have (3) different RADIO choices (aha radio, Pandora and HD Radio) that do not charge a subscription, built into it, why not leave the XM tuner out - unless someone really wants to pay a monthly/yearly fee. Sounds like it also allows you to run other APPS from your iPhone or Android phone - so if you have an XM APP, then you wouldn't need the additional XL tuner. Just my opnion. I love Pandora, its great. :cool:

AVIC-Z140BH - NEW! - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display, Built-In Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4/4S | Pioneer Electronics USA

IPOD connection or better yet, just load your music on an SD card that hides behind the screen.

Swapping out the infotainment system in our XLRs is not as easy as you would think. Many things go through the head unit that a replacement is not built to handle. The HUD for one.

Make sure and do all of your homework before going down the path.

Homework is what I am trying to do. Seems no one has succesfully done this. Can someone confirm via schematics that the HUD unit goes through the nav system. Seems like it should be part of the Speedo group to me.

BTW, I have had the Pioneer Z110BT and Z120BT in my previous and current vehicles. The z140BT is essentially a slight upgrade from the previous units. Not much difference.

As for XM, the original design allowed for either XM or Sirius, I beleive that is why they were seperate modules. I can confirm full control of IPOD and IPHONE with Album art on the screen even on the older units.

You are right on both counts. The HUD is supplied data via the class 2 serial bus from both the infotainment system (radio) and Instument Panel Cluster.

Sorry I can't post a schematic as the shop manuals are copyrighted and GM monitors these sites. If you want to dig into the car, shop manuals are a must-have.

Any modifications to the vehicle need to ensure compatibility with the networks or there will be a loss of functionality (steering wheel switches, HUD displays, etc.)

This is why XLR stereo modifications are few and far between. Not impossible, just painful.

CC :wave:

Homework is what I am trying to do. Seems no one has succesfully done this. Can someone confirm via schematics that the HUD unit goes through the nav system. Seems like it should be part of the Speedo group to me.

BTW, I have had the Pioneer Z110BT and Z120BT in my previous and current vehicles. The z140BT is essentially a slight upgrade from the previous units. Not much difference.

As for XM, the original design allowed for either XM or Sirius, I beleive that is why they were seperate modules. I can confirm full control of IPOD and IPHONE with Album art on the screen even on the older units.

I can confirm that there is a connection. There is also a lot of integration to the other systems as well. Watch the HUD display the XM station when it changes. I've researched this trying to get bluetooth functionality. It is a current project of mine. I'm now investigating using a Parrot Bluetooth interface and jumping in between the head unit and the amp to get auto muting for navigation. A back up camera is also on my wish list.

Anybody successfully complete the swap out?

This thread was over four years ago. Has anyone completed this and kept all functions intact?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom