Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Proud XLR owner with a problem

K

KakNJak

I bought my 2006 XLR from a private owner a year ago Thanksgiving. The XLR had 20,000 miles on it and was/is pristine. In May, 2014, I drove it to the California coast from New Mexico and back: no problems. I have been driving it once per week normally. This past January, it would not start, so I bought a new battery. I continued driving it once per week with no problems. Two weeks ago, on Thursday, I uncovered it and prepared to drive it for its' weekly run and it would not start again. This should not happen with a new battery. After jump starting it via Onstar, I drove it to my local dealer and explained my problem. They kept it for a week and did various "parasitic" draining tests for the battery and pronounced it to be "Normal". The dealer recommends driving it once per week and starting it every four days and let it run in my driveway for 15 - 20 minutes. Are they covering something up or does EVERY XLR owner do the same?

Doesn't sound normal...

I've had mine a few years now and this was the first year I actually used a battery maintainer. The previous years I started mine maybe once or twice a month and I'm in Illinois where the temps can actually dip into sub-zero range ad never had an issues so you're right something sounds fishy. I'm sure you'll get a much more informative answer here on the site. You should probably try finding a dealer that actually has an XLR technician on staff.

I bought my 2006 XLR from a private owner a year ago Thanksgiving. The XLR had 20,000 miles on it and was/is pristine. In May, 2014, I drove it to the California coast from New Mexico and back: no problems. I have been driving it once per week normally. This past January, it would not start, so I bought a new battery. I continued driving it once per week with no problems. Two weeks ago, on Thursday, I uncovered it and prepared to drive it for its' weekly run and it would not start again. This should not happen with a new battery. After jump starting it via Onstar, I drove it to my local dealer and explained my problem. They kept it for a week and did various "parasitic" draining tests for the battery and pronounced it to be "Normal". The dealer recommends driving it once per week and starting it every four days and let it run in my driveway for 15 - 20 minutes. Are they covering something up or does EVERY XLR owner do the same?

Last edited:

I drive mine at least once or several times a week. If i leave it alone for more then 2 weeks i make a mental note to drive it, no matter if its just around the corner or not.
I recently purchased a battery tender a couple months ago. I was on vacation (out of the country) for 2 1/2 months and only told my sister to start it uyp and drive it one a month. She started it up the one month and nothing. Then she called the auto club to jump start it. Then she went to start it back up a couple weeks before i arrived home and nothing again. So I had the guy come out and jump start it again, and then ran it straight down to the dealership for a new battery. I guess it was going dead anyway. So after that fiasco, thats when i purchased a battery tender. So my next trip is again for 3 months, I leave in jan and return the last week in april. So the car will be on the tender/trickle charger for that amount of time.

Modern cars with all their electronics systems constantly use a trickle of power, even when parked an turned off. This is not a problem with our daily drivers as we drive them often if not actually daily. This sort of problem is very common with modern 'special' cars where we only use the cars for fun and have a driver for all other needs. Like everyone is saying: get a Battery Tender and that will solve your problems. This situation is true with modern motorcycles too, we keep our Harleys plug in most of the time as well. I highly recommend the Battery Tender brand, they are high quality and dependable. Do not buy a trickle charger, that is not the same as a tender - which only replaces power as required.

BTW: I was told that idling a car will not properly charge your battery as a standard alternator does not spin properly unless the RPM of the engine is high enough.....as in driving the car at normal speeds. :burnout: At idle they do not put out enough power to charge a battery.

Well put greytoad. I couldn't have said it better. Sorry for putting the trickle charger saying after the battery tender though. I have a battery tender as of abt a yr ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info

I drive mine at least once or several times a week. If i leave it alone for more then 2 weeks i make a mental note to drive it, no matter if its just around the corner or not.
I recently purchased a battery tender a couple months ago. I was on vacation (out of the country) for 2 1/2 months and only told my sister to start it uyp and drive it one a month. She started it up the one month and nothing. Then she called the auto club to jump start it. Then she went to start it back up a couple weeks before i arrived home and nothing again. So I had the guy come out and jump start it again, and then ran it straight down to the dealership for a new battery. I guess it was going dead anyway. So after that fiasco, thats when i purchased a battery tender. So my next trip is again for 3 months, I leave in jan and return the last week in april. So the car will be on the tender/trickle charger for that amount of time.

Hawkeye372, Thanks for the info. I have purchased a NAPA model 85-302 Automatic Battery Charger / Maintainer to assist me when I don't drive it. Since we here in Las Cruces, NM don't usually have garages, I keep my vehicles under a carport, with the XLR covered. The cautions in the charger / maintainer say to leave the hood up. Would I be OK with the hood down and covered as long as the vehicle is exposed to outside air?

Hawkeye372, Thanks for the info. I have purchased a NAPA model 85-302 Automatic Battery Charger / Maintainer to assist me when I don't drive it. Since we here in Las Cruces, NM don't usually have garages, I keep my vehicles under a carport, with the XLR covered. The cautions in the charger / maintainer say to leave the hood up. Would I be OK with the hood down and covered as long as the vehicle is exposed to outside air?

IMHO Leaving the hood open when using a maintainer is being extremely overcautious and not needed. I keep my maintainer connected and running in a closed garage and covered. I understand the concern of hydrogen gas discharge and accumulating under the hood. Many things effect the amount of hydrogen produced like battery type (lead acid, glass mat, gel etc) and rate of charge. Modern batteries just being maintained at a very low rate do not produce much hydrogen at all. The underhood area is far from air tight.

I do leave my hood unlatched during storage, more as a way to gain access to the battery if something should fail over hydrogen gas concern.

Past 12 years,,,,,

We use four Deltran, BATTERY TENDER PLUS model on our sitting cars and one boat....never a problem.

PN-021-0128.jpg

Battery Tender® Plus

I left my tender plugged in bit left the hood closed but not latched shut. Did ok for the couple days I had it hooked up. I just did this in January/feb when the temp dropped for the week here in north Florida. I was kind of testing out the tender to test it out on the location/placement of it.

Thanks for the info

IMHO Leaving the hood open when using a maintainer is being extremely overcautious and not needed. I keep my maintainer connected and running in a closed garage and covered. I understand the concern of hydrogen gas discharge and accumulating under the hood. Many things effect the amount of hydrogen produced like battery type (lead acid, glass mat, gel etc) and rate of charge. Modern batteries just being maintained at a very low rate do not produce much hydrogen at all. The underhood area is far from air tight.

I do leave my hood unlatched during storage, more as a way to gain access to the battery if something should fail over hydrogen gas concern.

Phrede, You have removed the last bit of doubt in my mind as to whether to follow the advice of the forum or to go along with my dealer. He advised to not use a charger/maintainer, but to merely run it once a week and start it every fourth day in the week. If I were to follow his advice, I would not be able to take vacations unless I could find a "friend" that I would trust with my pristine XLR: NOPE. (One like mine with 20,000 miles was auctioned last year at Barrett-Jackson for $80,000...)

Not sure what the dealer was thinking. I couldn't tell you how much pure rubbish I've heard from dealers and their service departments.

Starting the car for short periods every 3 or 4 days is hardly desirable and could be detrimental in and of itself.

Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between an old school charger and a modern maintainer.

FWIW, I've had two of my cars on trickle chargers for eight years or more and on Battery Minders
for the last two to three years with no ill effects to the cars nor to the house!

FWIW, I've had two of my cars on trickle chargers for eight years or more and on Battery Minders
for the last two to three years with no ill effects to the cars nor to the house!

TG! May you have similar good results for as long as you have your vehicles, Fcarga...:thumbsup

Last edited:
battery tender

i store my XLR in November to April in a 50 - 60 degree mechanics garage.
I connect the tender, lower the hood without latching it then cover the car with the black water proof cover that came with it as a appearance package.
never have had a problem.

battery

Tip, I located from Walmart a Whistler portable quick charge cost $59.96. It has a pouch size 7X7 which will fit perfect in the storage in the trunk. It will start around 7 times before recharging. I have learned from other XLR owners battery going down is not unusual .

Tip, I located from Walmart a Whistler portable quick charge cost $59.96. It has a pouch size 7X7 which will fit perfect in the storage in the trunk. It will start around 7 times before recharging. I have learned from other XLR owners battery going down is not unusual .

I too am a believer in "micro jump" devices and have one. I chose one with more high end features albeit more expensive.

5200SPEC s(1).jpg

When I first heard about these devices I was hesitant to believe in their capabilities. After seeing them work I now own one.

Kaknjack I think the reason the service guys and dealer said to start every so often and not use Tender. Is because they want you to always come back and get a battery from them. Yes these cars of our require lots of TLC and when properly taken care of, the return the favor in many people's head turning and admiring your ride. I will be putting mine on the tender around January after a good detail job and gas treatment Like stabil or something similar. Also take the advice of cclarke and/or phred. They have had their rides the longest (I think) cclarke is always looking into everything xlr and has great advice. Hey if these guys lived closer to me then I would be at their house almost every other weekend getting advice.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with my problem

Thanks to everyone who assisted me with solving my problem AND especially to those who eased my concerns about the PROPER course of action. You folks are one more reason to bolster my belief that to really know how to evaluate a product (both pluses and minuses) is to ask those who actually OWN one. Dealers and/or service technicians (for the most part) don't get paid if they don't do something or sell something. Everyone, thanks again for sharing your expertise AND TIME!

At one time, I had the same problem, but luckily found the issue causing it!

I once had the same problem and my dealership mechanic found it to be my old fashion Sun Pass attached to my windshield for easy passing through toll areas. The Sun Pass transmitter would not let my electronics completely go to sleep when the car ignition was shut off. I removed the Sun Pass transmitter and put it into its sealed foiled case in the glove box and the problem stopped happening. Now I can leave my XLR-V for many days without having a starting issue.

You may perhaps have some electronic device (like some sort of transmitter, radar detector, a blue tooth device, etc.) in this vehicle that will not allow your electronics to completely shut off!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom