Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Radar Detector Passport 9500xi

S

speedway

I am considering a Passport 9500xi for the XLR. I have a Valintine for the Vette and like it. What has got my attention with this detector is it has GPS and will tell you whats on the other side of a hill or around a curve. It also will identify all cameras both red light an mobile radar. I am wondering about the box mounted at the top of your windshield that I believe contains the Sat radio antenna and the GPS navigation antenna. Does anyone know if this radar detector will work with a windshield mount with these other two antennas already in place. :dunno:

Speedway

I am considering a Passport 9500xi for the XLR. I have a Valintine for the Vette and like it. What has got my attention with this detector is it has GPS and will tell you whats on the other side of a hill or around a curve. It also will identify all cameras both red light an mobile radar. I am wondering about the box mounted at the top of your windshield that I believe contains the Sat radio antenna and the GPS navigation antenna. Does anyone know if this radar detector will work with a windshield mount with these other two antennas already in place. :dunno:

Speedway
Hey Speedway, I am not a mechanic but I do believe one of the things mounted toward the top of the windshield is for the rain sence wipers. Bruce can tell you for certain. First Robin

First Robin is right. But you should not have any problems. Your talking about different freq. Not even close to cause a problem.

Passport 9500XI

Hey Speedway, I am not a mechanic but I do believe one of the things mounted toward the top of the windshield is for the rain sence wipers. Bruce can tell you for certain. First Robin

Thanks for the info I got the radar detector and must say this is one awsome radar detector if someone is thinking of getting a new one. Its GPS is fantastic gets camera's both mobile and red light. The nice thing is it talks so if you are in a converstion you can set it loud enough that you cant miss the notification. The detector will not alert until you have a radar threat and it learns as you go to cancel non radar threats. The way camera's are being added everywhere and especially in Arizona.:rocker:

Speedway (Fred)

I was fortunate to beat one of those camera's for red lights. One of the pics it snapped was of the windshield and my side was dark do to my tinted windows and the suns angle. I just wrote to them and told them I have no idea who was driving my car that day and there are a few I could blame it on. Then I told them my memory is failing and I have no idea who it was on that day nor would I tell them anyway. 6 months later.............no response and no ticket.
I run two Valentine ones in my vehicles for the last 15 years and they have saved me more times than I would like to admit. This new one you have really sounds great but I would hate to throw away two $400 dollar units to upgrade even though I'm tempted.
Keep the bears out of your britches and your wheels between the ditches or keep the clean side up and the dirty side down. Remember the old CB slang expressions?
Thanks for the info I got the radar detector and must say this is one awsome radar detector if someone is thinking of getting a new one. Its GPS is fantastic gets camera's both mobile and red light. The nice thing is it talks so if you are in a converstion you can set it loud enough that you cant miss the notification. The detector will not alert until you have a radar threat and it learns as you go to cancel non radar threats. The way camera's are being added everywhere and especially in Arizona.:rocker:

Speedway (Fred)

I was fortunate to beat one of those camera's for red lights. One of the pics it snapped was of the windshield and my side was dark do to my tinted windows and the suns angle. I just wrote to them and told them I have no idea who was driving my car that day and there are a few I could blame it on. Then I told them my memory is failing and I have no idea who it was on that day nor would I tell them anyway. 6 months later.............no response and no ticket.
I run two Valentine ones in my vehicles for the last 15 years and they have saved me more times than I would like to admit. This new one you have really sounds great but I would hate to throw away two $400 dollar units to upgrade even though I'm tempted.
Keep the bears out of your britches and your wheels between the ditches or keep the clean side up and the dirty side down. Remember the old CB slang expressions?

I have a Valintine in my Vette and it was the best saved me many tickets and I constantly bragged about it. This new Passport Detector is just plain awsome I am totally sold on it. Tucson has so many speed traps it should go in the book of records and now Arizona has passed this law about highway and city mobile speed cams that you need every resource available to you. Its estimated they will make over 100 million dollars in tickets this year. If you drive through Arizona BEWARE you cant beat a camera in the long run.

Speedway
(Fred)

Not sure what the laws are like in your state, but here in Alberta, with photo radar and red light cameras they send the ticket by mail to the registered owner. You have no choice but to pay.It does not matter who was driving. The fortunate part is that since they do not know who was driving they can not issue demerit points. Too many demerits and they pull your license.
You are correct in Arizona if your from out of State then you wont get the ticket. However, I read an article recently where they are trying to set up agreements with other States to honor there traffic cititions from Cameras.

Speedway

California they have to see you behind the wheel. When they send you the pictures and you can't see whose driving you send it back to them with the response........No picture of driver.
You are correct in Arizona if your from out of State then you wont get the ticket. However, I read an article recently where they are trying to set up agreements with other States to honor there traffic cititions from Cameras.

Speedway

Speedway

Nice to know this... while on vacation in AZ in February, I apparently got caught by a speed camera while driving a rental car. Got a notice from Hertz telling me I owe them a $30 fee; they had to let the camera company know the name of the person who rented the car. The bill says I "may" get a notice of the ticket in a separate mailing.

Nice to know this... while on vacation in AZ in February, I apparently got caught by a speed camera while driving a rental car. Got a notice from Hertz telling me I owe them a $30 fee; they had to let the camera company know the name of the person who rented the car. The bill says I "may" get a notice of the ticket in a separate mailing.
Tucson is now putting speed cams everywhere. My Valintine will not pick there signal so no notification however, the 9500xi not only alerts but gives you a lot of time to react to them. These citys and States have figuered out how much revenue they can make off this new tecnology and with the state of this economy they cant get these cameras up fast enough.

Speedway

Fred

If everyone on here who has a Valentine one would contact the web site and let them know about this problem maybe they can add something to our units or future units.
First of all I have not given them permission to take my picture. They must have a signed document that I agree to let them take my picture. Ask any lawyer.
We have so many cruisers and mortorcyles out here in Orange County you can't go 5 miles without seeing a cruiser or bike writing a ticket by an officer.
I'm totally loosing respect for these guys who are being told to write until their fingers fall off, and please don't anyone tell me this isn't true.
I now drive the speed limit or five miles over and was pulled off the freeway into a gas station one morning and was told I was doing over 90. Two cruisers went flying by me at over 90 miles an hour chasing other cars and this guy thought he had me on his radar. The only thing that saved my butt was he told me I was on the freeway way before I got on it and he confirmed this by my address and walked up and said the roads are a bit damp from the fog so you might want to slow it down a bit. I told him he might want to tell that to the cruisers that where well over 90 putting other people at risk. I was doing 68 when he pulled me off the freeway.:pat: and I was late for work for the first time since I worked for this company. Did he apologize................NO. Sorry but this is a sore spot with me.
Ever since I was pulled over in NM on a road that looked like it was laid out with a laser and nothing for miles on either side of the highway and they called it a safety corrider because someone was killed on that stretch so they can double the fines, I have been up tight.
Tucson is now putting speed cams everywhere. My Valintine will not pick there signal so no notification however, the 9500xi not only alerts but gives you a lot of time to react to them. These citys and States have figuered out how much revenue they can make off this new tecnology and with the state of this economy they cant get these cameras up fast enough.

Speedway

Fred

If everyone on here who has a Valentine one would contact the web site and let them know about this problem maybe they can add something to our units or future units.
First of all I have not given them permission to take my picture. They must have a signed document that I agree to let them take my picture. Ask any lawyer.
We have so many cruisers and mortorcyles out here in Orange County you can't go 5 miles without seeing a cruiser or bike writing a ticket by an officer.
I'm totally loosing respect for these guys who are being told to write until their fingers fall off, and please don't anyone tell me this isn't true.
I now drive the speed limit or five miles over and was pulled off the freeway into a gas station one morning and was told I was doing over 90. Two cruisers went flying by me at over 90 miles an hour chasing other cars and this guy thought he had me on his radar. The only thing that saved my butt was he told me I was on the freeway way before I got on it and he confirmed this by my address and walked up and said the roads are a bit damp from the fog so you might want to slow it down a bit. I told him he might want to tell that to the cruisers that where well over 90 putting other people at risk. I was doing 68 when he pulled me off the freeway.:pat: and I was late for work for the first time since I worked for this company. Did he apologize................NO. Sorry but this is a sore spot with me.
Ever since I was pulled over in NM on a road that looked like it was laid out with a laser and nothing for miles on either side of the highway and they called it a safety corrider because someone was killed on that stretch so they can double the fines, I have been up tight.

And understandably so!!! Funny thing about those "safety corridors"... if they had had the forthought to put some curves in them, a person maybe wouldn't go as fast? Well, OK... I guess they'd at least have more fun??:chuckle:chuckle:dunno::naughty:

Speedway

I just got the ticket from AZ... who would I check with in the State to see if MT has such an agreement? The MT legislature just passed a bill to outlaw all traffic cameras... including those already in use...

I just got the ticket from AZ... who would I check with in the State to see if MT has such an agreement? The MT legislature just passed a bill to outlaw all traffic cameras... including those already in use...
My understanding is as what was put out over the news by the governor if you are from out of State there is nothing they can do about it. That is about 6 month old news so unless the states have all gone together and change there laws you should not have anything to worry about it. Now if you were to get picked up again in Arizona then when they ran your plate it may show up and they would take action accordingly. If this was a traffic stop by a police officer then I believe all states enforce police officer tickets. Who you could check with I do not know unless you have a friend in DMV or a law enforcement officer in Montana.:dunno:

Speedway

Fred

Sounds like we need more badges in the convoy. I believe we have 4 in ours.
How can we be held responsible for not knowing the laws in another state if not posted.
I'm gonna hold up my Tony the Tiger Frosted Flakes with Honey box, that shows him with a badge, then he will know I'm a good guy.
My understanding is as what was put out over the news by the governor if you are from out of State there is nothing they can do about it. That is about 6 month old news so unless the states have all gone together and change there laws you should not have anything to worry about it. Now if you were to get picked up again in Arizona then when they ran your plate it may show up and they would take action accordingly. If this was a traffic stop by a police officer then I believe all states enforce police officer tickets. Who you could check with I do not know unless you have a friend in DMV or a law enforcement officer in Montana.:dunno:

Speedway

Fred

Well all the mobile units in the Phoenix area are now out of service after the fatal shooting of an operator Sunday night.

http://www.kpho.com/news/19245214/detail.html

Vinh and I had just driven by this unit about 30 minutes before the shooting. Redflex, the company that operates them caught everything on video. Suspect was caught pretty fast.

The stationary units are easy to avoid triggering on the motorcycles, the car is another story. I may need to upgrade to the 9500 from my beloeved 8500.

You should hear the talk radio around here. That will really make you sick. At least they set bail high enough he is not going to get out.
Sometimes I just wonder how there could possibly even be a defense for some crimes ... talk-radio no less. Sad. Just sad.

Well all the mobile units in the Phoenix area are now out of service after the fatal shooting of an operator Sunday night.

http://www.kpho.com/news/19245214/detail.html

Vinh and I had just driven by this unit about 30 minutes before the shooting. Redflex, the company that operates them caught everything on video. Suspect was caught pretty fast.

The stationary units are easy to avoid triggering on the motorcycles, the car is another story. I may need to upgrade to the 9500 from my beloeved 8500.
My valintine works with mobile radar units it is not working with stationary speed cams. These speed cams are going up like crazy in Tucson and Pima county. The 9500xi will pick it all up and in plenty of time for you to react.

Fred

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back