Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Radiator Leak - sometimes ??

xlrnow

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR - Crimson Pearl - currently 29,000 miles
Radiator fluid leak sometimes and not other times. Air Temperature, running time or length of time car is used does not effect the occasional leak. Hard to find exact location of leak( haven't had on rack ) but seems to be lower hose area driver side. Will leak a quart maybe everyday for 5 days and not for 5 days thereafter. Probably hose needs replaced because that is where the fluid exits but why the occasional part ?? Tank cap bad maybe ?? Seems like simple problem but is crazy on again off again .. :crazy:

Hi XLRNOW,

If your still on your original radiator you may have a leak at the left tank seam, thats were they seem to fail on the base model 04 and 05 radiators. Our 05 had similar symptoms as yours when it failed. The fix was a upgrade to the XLR-V radiator for us. Hope thats not the case for you! I could see the leak when I looked carefully down the inside (engine side) of the seam from the top with a good flashlight.

Dave

XLRnow
Take a good look at bottom of water pump. Water pumps are good for intermittent leaking.
V Happy

XLRnow
Take a good look at bottom of water pump. Water pumps are good for intermittent leaking.
V Happy

I have to top off the coolant tank about every 3-4 months. I'm fairly certain is the pump, but there's never any pooling under the engine when stopped. I keep a plastic coke bottle full of Dexcool in the cubby compartment in the trunk

I replaced my rad and a worn out hose last year but I still get the anti freeze "smell" like something is leaking but the fluid level stays up and there is no drips anywhere ??

Hi XLRNOW,

If your still on your original radiator you may have a leak at the left tank seam, thats were they seem to fail on the base model 04 and 05 radiators. Our 05 had similar symptoms as yours when it failed. The fix was a upgrade to the XLR-V radiator for us. Hope thats not the case for you! I could see the leak when I looked carefully down the inside (engine side) of the seam from the top with a good flashlight.

Dave

Thanks for info and it is original radiator

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry