Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Rain coming in

JW7

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR.... 2001 DTS...2009 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET
Hi all....have had my baby for about a year now and have to say that she has never been out in the rain until last week for the first time..
thats when I noticed that water was coming in about where the emergency brake is....driver side of course..when I opened door to get out,saw it on front inner door frame as well..
I understand there is a drain tube under the driver side pillar....I had the pillar replaced awhile ago and thinking the mechanic did something to block drain tube when installing..
anywhere else?...any other drain that I should be looking at and where located.?
appreciate the knowledge base available here with my fellow members..your thoughts most appreciated..

Under normal conditions, all of the water running down the windshield will flow into what's called the Plenum Chamber Drain System, and then downwards on the outside of the plenum to the underbody. The right side of the car has a proper tube/drain.

To access the drains, you need to remove the air inlet grill at the base of the windshield:

1. Warm up with a chilled beer. Keep it company with a few more in an accessible cooler.
2. Remove both windshield wiper arms.
3. Remove the (four) top push pin retainers that (mostly) secure the two-piece plastic inlet grill.
4. Disconnect the windshield washer hose connector.
5. Remove the retainers that secure the inlet grill to the fenders.
6. Lift the grills out.
7. Time for a beer and then lay down next to the car to collect the push pin retainers you dropped in step 3.
8. Clean the plenum chamber, drains, and the air inlet grill of debris and blockage.
9. Flush the plenum chamber, drains and sir inlet grill with fresh water (not beer!) For stubborn blockages, try using weed eater line in the drains.
10. Re-install the air inlet grills and windshield wiper arms.
11. Consume whatever beers are left.
12. Laugh at Mother Nature when it rains the next time.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
As usual ccclarke, what you impart is spot on and shows a tremendous working knowledge of theses vehicles.....as for the beer breaks..was never a drinker but I think after owning this baby for awhile, I may just start..:)
Thank you again...

RAIN COMING IN

A FOLLOW UP TO WATER COMING IN DRIVERS SIDE...TURNS OUT WAS THE DRAINAGE FLANGE INSIDE THE FRONT PILLAR DRIVERS SIDE....THERE IS A DRAINAGE HOLE UPPER CORNERS OF WINDOWS THAT RUN DOWN INSIDE PILLARS AND OUT BY LOWER DOOR...I BELIEVE I GOT THIS EXPLANATION RIGHT...I HAD TO HAVE FRONT PILLAR REPLACED WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED MY BABY AND THE MECHANIC INSTALLED IT AND TWISTED WHATEVER IS THERE SO WATER WOULD NOT RUN OUT..CAME IN THRU PILLAR VENT AND UNDER DASH
MY MECHANIC WENT FROM THE INSIDE...REMOVED WHAT IS COVERING THE INSIDE PILLAR AND STRAIGHTENED DRAINAGE FLOW OUT..OTHER DRAINAGE AREAS WERE CLEAN AND UNCLOGED..
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE WHO IS EXPERIENCING SIMILAR ISSUES

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back