Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear Suspension leaf replacement on 2004 XLR step by step with pics

BeardBros

Seasoned Member
I had to replace my rear suspension leaf because it was nearly cracked in half on my 2004 XLR with 87K miles. The rear was sitting very low and the tires were rubbing the wheel liner. I ordered a new one through my local chevy dealer and also borrowed their tool for compressing the leaf to get it out. FYI, when my dealer ordered the part there was only one in the whole GM inventory at a dealer in texas and they would not release it. The texas dealer said they have been replacing these often and needed it for their customers. I waited 3 weeks for mine, I guess they made a new batch so there are a few available now.

Here is a pic of the car before the fix, notice the sagging rear end.

IMG_4656.jpg

So first I got the car up on the lift and then proceeded to setup the compressor. Once I had it set up and compressed the leaf I disconnected the right rear suspension sensor from the lower a-arm. Then I marked the front lower a-arm alignment bolt so when I put it back it would be in the right spot. Next I compressed the leaf, removed the 2 a-arm bolts and lowered the rear a-arm, removed the 2 plates holding the leaf to the rear cradle and removed the old leaf. If you can talk somebody into helping you I would recommend it. Much easier with four arms!

IMG_4813.jpgIMG_4815.jpg

Here is the old leaf next to the new one. Note the wear on the ride height adjusters at 87K miles.

IMG_4816.jpgIMG_4827.jpgIMG_4828.jpg

So the installation of the new leaf is this process in reverse. Remember to use loctite on all your fasteners when putting it back together and clean and grease the area where the rubber ride height adjusters contact the a-arms.

Last edited:
continued

Here is the new leaf installed

IMG_4820.jpgIMG_4824.jpg

And the rear ride height and handling are like new again.

IMG_4831.jpg

Here is a closeup of the damaged old leaf with 87K miles on it.

IMG_4825.jpgIMG_4826.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry