Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear Window Weatherstripping Missing?

MRICO

My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR/V Infrared
Just had my rear window tinted - cuz it's to darn hot and sunny here in AZ :mad:. Anyways, I think they removed some weatherstripping around the bottom of the rear window because now I have white wear marks on the bottom of both corners of my rear window. Can anybody take a picture of the bottom right/left corner of the rear window and post. My car was spotless before I took it in to Amazon Window Tint in Goodyear AZ. Thank You in advance.

Attachments

• Driver's side Corner of Rear Window.jpg
    Driver's side Corner of Rear Window.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
can you take a pic from a farther distance so I can get a better perspective. I am not sure where/what I am looking at, and I will try to get you a pic.

Oh no!!

Just had my rear window tinted - cuz it's to darn hot and sunny here in AZ :mad:. Anyways, I think they removed some weatherstripping around the bottom of the rear window because now I have white wear marks on the bottom of both corners of my rear window. Can anybody take a picture of the bottom right/left corner of the rear window and post. My car was spotless before I took it in to Amazon Window Tint in Goodyear AZ. Thank You in advance.

It looks like they put caulk on the outer edge of the glass. It shouldn't look like that. There should be a gap between the edge of the glass and the frame.

RE: Missing weatherstripping?

Thank you for the response. Please find the attached picture with arrows pointing to the bottom left and right hand corners of my rear window. And no, that is not caulk... that is where marks from something that was removed

Attachments

• 20160712_040200.jpg
    20160712_040200.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 321
Thank you for the response. Please find the attached picture with arrows pointing to the bottom left and right hand corners of my rear window. And no, that is not caulk... that is where marks from something that was removed
This may really sound stupid but, did they apply your tint on the outside of the glass?

This may really sound stupid but, did they apply your tint on the outside of the glass?

No. I just think they removed my rear window and #1) didn't tell me about it and #2) thet didn't replace some type of weather stripping at the bottom or around the window.

Your comments and accompanying picture are consistent with the rear window being removed and re-installed. This isn't surprising, given the limited room to work with when installing interior tinting, but it's definitely something the installer should have mentioned if required prior to starting the job.

The rear window doesn't have weather stripping per se, but uses a bead of urethane adhesive (GM P/N 12346392 or equivalent) to seal and secure the back glass. Normally, the seal should be a much darker color than what the picture depicted to match the dark edge of the glass border. Yours looks like the original sealant was removed and it's hard to tell what is remaining.

The re-installation procedure is pretty extensive, so if the back glass was removed and subsequently re-installed, it may (or may not) have been performed properly.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
If the window tinter actually removed the glass, he/she just created more work for themselves, and a faulty re-installation resulted. I stayed and watched while my windows were tinted, and my guy put the piece of tint material on top of the glass to cut it, then installed it on the inside with the roof halfway down.

My window has at least 1/4 inch between it and the body.

I doubt he removed the window, that would be a lot of work.

They use a lot of fluid to float the tint onto the window, are you sure this isn't just residue?

My window has at least 1/4 inch between it and the body.

I doubt he removed the window, that would be a lot of work.

They use a lot of fluid to float the tint onto the window, are you sure this isn't just residue?

This would mean the tint was applied to the outside of the window. That stuff looks like some kind of caulking

You maybe can see in the pic above that there should not be any caulk between the glass and body. This gap is almost 1/4 inch deep on mine. Ya, sorry I got the same pic posted twice by mistake and its sideways but you get the idea.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom