Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Reconditioning/Remanufacturing Hard-Sourced Parts

uhwarrior6608

Hello everyone. Recently had a battery issue, that turned in to being a bigger nightmare for me... The dreaded rain/water in the LH trunk compartment. Currently down a roof control module, suspension control module, and hydraulic control module. Roof control module was easy to source, and Cadillac was able to replace. They wanted to completely replace the hydraulic control module (VERY EXPENSIVE), but I was fortunate to find a company (Top Hydraulics) that can rebuild the part for a fraction of the new module's (sold as a component set) cost. My local Cadillac is supportive of not replacing the module, and offered to yank it out, ship it off, and re-install it for me (waived warranty/liability). Suspension control module is going to be problematic, as I'm sure many of you know...

Question is, is anyone familiar with other companies that offer reconditioning/rebuilding/remanufacturing services for some of the harder to find parts?

FYI: As of today, despite inventory suggesting otherwise, Gold Star GMC in California does NOT have inventory of the suspension control module :) I just spoke to the parts guy out there, after being referred to the dealership, and he said he's received 5 orders for this part, this week alone, and he is not sure why his inventory is showing that they have the part. Friendly guy... Said he would call GM, speak to a real person, and pass along the high demand for the part that he's seeing... Not expecting anything to come of this, but at least it will be someone other than a customer providing feedback this time!

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Too bad we can't get a schematic of the interior of the modules for repair purposes. . .

To avoid any confusion, there's no such thing as a hydraulic control module.

The folding top's hydraulics are controlled by the Folding Top Control module, which you've already replaced. (See attached pic.)

As you're aware, it resides beside the Suspension Control module.

The component you're shipping off is the hydraulic pump which is attached to the hydraulic manifold with five solenoids to operate the various hydraulic cylinders that make up the system.

CC :wave:

Attachments

• Hydraulic Pump and Manifold.jpg
    Hydraulic Pump and Manifold.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 387
I feel your pain. Too bad we can't get a schematic of the interior of the modules for repair purposes. . .

To avoid any confusion, there's no such thing as a hydraulic control module.

The folding top's hydraulics are controlled by the Folding Top Control module, which you've already replaced. (See attached pic.)

As you're aware, it resides beside the Suspension Control module.

The component you're shipping off is the hydraulic pump which is attached to the hydraulic manifold with five solenoids to operate the various hydraulic cylinders that make up the system.

CC :wave:

This and other comments about the lack of parts support and comments from some Cadillac/LaSalle Club members who suggested that I purchase a "parts XLR" before I purchase a "driver" adds a good deal of anxiety on ownership of these beautiful and amazing vehicles. With the Cadillac Allante, several enthusiastic owners evolved their hobby into "side businesses" and performed "work arounds" and adaptations to meet the needs of owners who could not find parts or who were faced with having to purchase rare parts at outrageous prices on Ebay. Do such folks exist in the small universe of XLR owners? James

Excellent question....jerz

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

Thank you Jerz--- I don't wish to denigrate those of us who own and thoroughly enjoy these beautiful cars... just hoping that some enthusiasts who have the technical "gifts' and enjoy a challenge will help those of us who are at the mercy of the "dealers' service departments" who sometimes can't help. James

We've been studying some different options for such things & companies that might be able to help, but with "day jobs" haven't had time to follow through on stuff. I suspect there's an undercurrent of that!

Parts

Hopefully in the future we can find a start-up business that is willing to take a risk on the front end and make a hell of a lot of money on the back end parts wise. These vehicle will be around a long long time someone will make a lot of money (on parts) we love our cars and we'll do what we have to do keep them running that's fact. jerz....

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom