Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Reduced Engine Power

wandrews2004

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray XLR
At times My 2004 XLR will not start or run normally. The next day it may be fine, but I'm concerned it will strand me one of these days. When I start it it hesitates before the engine begins to crank and then when it is running it displays "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" and then "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM" Anybody out there had this problem? Would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Wayne Andrews

Battery is good. Engine cranks, fires and runs, but with aforementioned codes displaying

Intermittent delay to start

wandrews.

As per what you said, sometimes the car has a delay in cranking the engine to start, the possibility could the battery terminals corroded or the grounds cables (2) needs to be deeply cleaned.

If the above are fine, it could be a weak battery or the starter or the engine module.

Usely the advises on the dash with no code is usely comes from the suspension module as most of the others modules are showing somes code numbers.

I supposed that you dont have a scanner tech2 or a repair manual, your car needs to be scanned ( if the battery and its harness are OK.) The dealer has the scanner with all the necessary informations and tools to find the defective item on your cars......yes, their labor rates are HI.

That could be the solution, most Cadillac dealers now knows the XLR, as now most cadillac are using its technology .

Good luck:thumbsup

I would get the codes read. Gm is bad and 04 -05 xlrs get a dirty throttle body and will run like garbage. it will also turn on both lights. Its not real hard to take it off and give it a good cleaning. I need to check and see if 04 can be done without an idle relearn. if it cannot you will have to have a shop do the work unless you have a tech 2 or similar.. I know the 08 require it but not sure of the 04-05.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom