Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rough ride

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
My 04 has a pretty harsh ride. Is every one that way or could the magnetic ride control be stuck in a stiff mode. I have no codes pertaining to that.

It is hard to say what you mean by "rough". As I drive down the highway with no bumps, the drive is smooth. If I hit a bump I definitely feel it. I think that everyone is that way. You should also check out some of the videos in this forum about the XLR. Motor Trend has one about the XLR-V and comments about how you feel the ride. If you still think that there is something wrong with the magnetic ride, then I would take it to the dealer and see if they can electronically diagnose if it is malfunctioning.

When I bought mine in 2011 I found out it had a bad front shock drivers side, it would not hurt to have a dealer check it " you never know" just a tip I bought both front shocks from GM parts.com for the price of one at a dealer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan Gouker

When I bought mine in 2011 I found out it had a bad front shock drivers side, it would not hurt to have a dealer check it " you never know" just a tip I bought both front shocks from GM parts.com for the price of one at a dealer!

Thanks Dan Gouker

I just ordered a left front shock from gmpartsdirect. While changing my oil I noticed a lot of oil on one of the wishbones on the driver's side and then noticed the shock was covered with oil. I thought the car dipped funny when I hit a couple of rough road spots and the shock is the reason why.

$668.53 delivered. I searched all over the web and that was the best I could come up with. Some places had a higher shock price and lower shipping cost but the total price is gmdirects price including their rather high shipping/handling cost.

I should receive it next week something. It shouldn't take more than an hour to change.

I have noticed that this shock system on the XLR really does smooth out the ride both on open roads and city streets. There are a lot of logging trucks that come through our little town and the streets at intersections, area like washboards and the XLR smooths them out where you know the street is rough but you are not tossed around like I am in other cars.

Looking forward to driving my favorite twisty roads with all 4 shocks working!

My 04 has a pretty harsh ride. Is every one that way or could the magnetic ride control be stuck in a stiff mode. I have no codes pertaining to that.
Has it always been that way or did it just get rougher?

My V rides a lot smoother than my 1/2 ton Silverado.

I have to replace the mag ride shocks on the front of my STS and Rock Auto has the best price. Might be worth checking them out.

I should also mention it depends on what tires you are running I had Goodyear tire before I put on these net new Michelin super sport pilots (not runflats) which I thought I own a different car after installing them with ride and handling I also just add the sway bar which don't do much for the ride but noticed a big handling difference right away!

Thanks Dan Gouker

I should also mention it depends on what tires you are running I had Goodyear tire before I put on these net new Michelin super sport pilots (not runflats) which I thought I own a different car after installing them with ride and handling I also just add the sway bar which don't do much for the ride but noticed a big handling difference right away!

Thanks Dan Gouker

There's a new set of Michelins on my 2004 that were put on before I bought the car. They are not run flats and they ride as you describe. They do squeal a little on tight curves but that brand are known for doing that. A sound reminder before you get to the edge. :)

Do you have part numbers and a place that you bought your sway bar? Do you have rubber or poly as end link bushings?

There's a new set of Michelins on my 2004 that were put on before I bought the car. They are not run flats and they ride as you describe. They do squeal a little on tight curves but that brand are known for doing that. A sound reminder before you get to the edge. :)

Do you have part numbers and a place that you bought your sway bar? Do you have rubber or poly as end link bushings?

Hey Mark got mine from the auction they had for Rod " MTRocket" on here so don't have numbers, but search on here sway bar. I know there is a post here with part numbers!
Note: all the parts are ordered separate they each have a part number. I believe gmpartsdirect.com had good prices.

Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry