Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

RPA module location?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
After the new paint I have discovered that the Reverse Parking Assist lights are not working. They never light up. I realize this could be due to the xtra paint on the sensors, but wanted to ground the diagnostic connector to try and see what was up.

I went to where my manual said it was, next to the XM module below the indicator lights and nothing was there. Now I'm searching.

The Tech 2 has nothing that I can find in it for this module, must be the only thing not on the network.

BTW while there I discovered the dealer replaced the module with a refurbished unit, but charged me for new. Guess who gets a visit tomorrow? I didn't want it replaced anyway. Now this.

TIA

Last edited:
did they remove the bumper when they painted it, Fred? Perhaps they forgot to reconnect them. I had that happen on my Expedition and the rear camera still worked,but the sensors did not detect cars behind me. Manual says they light up when the car is first started and vehicle placed in reverse. Do they do this? Quickly reading through the troubleshooting doesn't say anything about the tech II, just a test lamp. Probably why you don't see anything on the tech II.

good luck

did they remove the bumper when they painted it, Fred? Perhaps they forgot to reconnect them. I had that happen on my Expedition and the rear camera still worked,but the sensors did not detect cars behind me. Manual says they light up when the car is first started and vehicle placed in reverse. Do they do this? Quickly reading through the troubleshooting doesn't say anything about the tech II, just a test lamp. Probably why you don't see anything on the tech II.

good luck

They did have the bumper off, and claim they remember hooking them back up. I'll look closer while I have it up in the air working on the brakes. Right now I'm on the top end ;) . Hope to know tomorrow about your belt question.

They never light up, not on start, not on initial reverse. Total dark, all of the time. My manual sez to ground the diagnostic connecter and read the light pattern. Thought I would give it a try just to see if it shows all the sensors bad (not connected or painted). If it's paint I'll need to decide what to do. Not critical, but I hate when things don't work.

The URPA (Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist) module is adjacent to the XM receiver on the driver's side. It's easy to see when viewed with the rear deck lid raised and the protective fabric screen lowered. You can also follow the cable from the LED indicators to the module. If you still can't see it, then maybe it was removed and never replaced when the XM module was removed/replaced.

You're correct. The URPA is not connected to either network, so it's invisible to the Tech 2. As you read in your shop manual, it is checked out by shorting the URPA module connector pins and interpreting the LEDs.

CC :wave:

The URPA (Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist) module is adjacent to the XM receiver on the driver's side. It's easy to see when viewed with the rear deck lid raised and the protective fabric screen lowered. You can also follow the cable from the LED indicators to the module. If you still can't see it, then maybe it was removed and never replaced when the XM module was removed/replaced.

You're correct. The URPA is not connected to either network, so it's invisible to the Tech 2. As you read in your shop manual, it is checked out by shorting the URPA module connector pins and interpreting the LEDs.

CC :wave:

It is not located there on my 2008. Not sure where it is, but know where it is not. :) I have the storage bin removed and have a very good view of the area. The system has worked since the XM fiasco. Also, there are no empty connectors in the area. The wiring from the LEDs goes into the harness on the passengers side. I suspect the module was moved to a different location in later years. Like the emergency door release in the trunk.

Thanks for trying. I'm still hoping someone has the answer. I've been working on other things in the meantime.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom