Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run Flat Tires????

F

FOURTEEN

Has anyone actually used the 'Run Flat' tires on their XLR??

I'm looking at replacement tires. The 'Pirelli Eufori' in the 255/40ZR Run Flat size costs $420 +S&H each, but the 'Federal 595', which is a superior UHP tire, in the 255/40ZR (Non Run Flat) size only costs $124 +S&H each!!

Is it really worth almost $1200 more per set to have the Run Flat tires?? Why not just carry a can of puncture sealer and inflator?? Or, have the car towed in case of tire trouble??

I'm looking at replacement tires. The 'Pirelli Eufori' in the 255/40ZR Run Flat size costs $420 +S&H each, but the 'Federal 595', which is a superior UHP tire, in the 255/40ZR (Non Run Flat) size only costs $124 +S&H each!!

Is it really worth almost $1200 more per set to have the Run Flat tires?? Why not just carry a can of puncture sealer and inflator?? Or, have the car towed in case of tire trouble??

There are a lot of people here who have changed to non run-flats. It more of a personal thing than anything I guess. I myself don't like the punture sealers, they gum up the inside of the rims and can throw off the balance of the wheel, in my opinion. I would also only have my car towed in an extreme emergency and then it would have to be a flatbed not the hook.
I am currently looking at new wheels and tires and will most doubtably opt for the run flats. Your driving habits would probably dictate what you are looking for also. Just my thoughts.

The "Fix-A-Flat" goo that you put in tires to repair them on the road can (and almost certainly will) gum up and kill your tire pressure sensor.

Try looking at an online company for purchasing run flats. I have the Michelin XMXV (or whatever the heck they're called) Z rated run flats and have been very happy with them. I need to get 2 more before spring. You should be able to find the Michelin run-flats online for about $250 each. Many times your local tire store may match the price of online retailers as well.

Run flats are also nice if you take long trips. If I only drove locally, I might opt for regular tires, but, since I love taking the X out of town, I feel very safe on the run flats. I actually don't think I've ever had a really flat tire in my life; only leakers that were slow enough that I could safely reach a service station.

Homegrown's tire buying secrets: try looking on eBay for tires. I just bought a nice set of tires for my Acura MDX and saved big $$$ by looking patiently for someone with a set of new take-off tires. Many folks buy new cars and want new, different sized wheels. They then sell the near-zero miles take-off tires and are happy to get pretty much any price! (now I'll never be able to find my 2 new XLR tires! And I have all winter to look!)

If I remember correctly a lady took off her run flats and put on regular tires. Well guess what, just a couple of months or just a few weeks later she had a blow out and it took out her whole fender as well. Anyone else remember hearing that story? I love run flats and like "Homegrown" said if you travel a lot they are the safest to have. Wish I had had them on my Buick Convert when I was in the Army. Running back and forth from Texas to Illinois I was forever having flats and back then money was sure hard to come by. First Robin:patriot:

Tires

This is a good question. It deserves some thought. It really boils down to the type of driving and the location you live in. If you live around thorns, desert or are a construction manager then run flats are what I would stick with. I on the other hand I come from a rural area and live on an acreage. I have tractors, mowers, and a bobcat. If I had to run to town every time a tire got low then I would never get anything done. I don't like the goo as Kevin pointed out. I liked the low profile tires and the larger wheels. Just my taste but you would be restricted to a small variety of tires and/or wheels if you stay with the run flats. I decided to $hitcan the run flats. Didn't like the ride either. They are very hard rubber tires. I drive to my lake cabin maybe twice a month, which is 200 miles away from where I live. Mostly rural driving. This is what I do. I plug any and all my tires with a plug kit that I bought from my local Kabota dealer. It's small and has all the tools needed to plug a tire. I also carry in the car a small 12v air compressor that is capable of inflating a tire quickly. My wife had it easy as a personal gift for me. Stay away from the cheap ones. They are also small and will fit in your whole in the back. No not that whole, the one on the right side rear of the trunk. Granted a woman may not or would not get down on the ground and try to patch a hole in a tire but I have had good luck at it. It's the only way to go. It gives me a piece of mind when I'm on the road. Sorry about going on about it but I'm long winded. :wave:

I purchased the Michelin's on line (Tire Rack I think) and their site also has a local installer search... turned out to be a near-by Firestone store. Same day I ordered them, the Firestone store called and said they were on the way from their local warehouse and could be installed the next day. Price was better than I could find locally.

By the way, the Michelin ZP series come with a road hazard warranty - do not buy one if you get those tires.

I purchased the Michelin's on line (Tire Rack I think) and their site also has a local installer search... turned out to be a near-by Firestone store. Same day I ordered them, the Firestone store called and said they were on the way from their local warehouse and could be installed the next day. Price was better than I could find locally.

By the way, the Michelin ZP series come with a road hazard warranty - do not buy one if you get those tires.

One of my tires had a slow leak with my having to fill it about once every two or three days. Then, having not driven the X for a week or so, the DIC said the tire was flat. The run flat was really nice to have; since the car was in my garage, I simply drove it to the tire center to have it the tire repaired. On a car like this, I don't think I'd have anything but run flats - mainly for the reason stated, if you have it towed, it better be on a flat bed, not a hook. And flat bed tows are cheap!!

Thanks for the quick 6 replies, but:

Have you actually used the Run Flat feature? On my cars, I haven't had an on-road flat in many years! What are the chances that you will?

Goo is nasty, but I don't change or repair my own tires! If you use the Goo just to get you home, like a Run Flat would, you could then throw the Gooey tire away and buy about 10 brand new tires with the money you have saved!!

Gee, the "Michelin run-flat online for about $250 each" are only twice as expensive as the Federal 595! The $500 savings buys a lot of Goo!

I have done the tire & wheel swap on ebay successfully for lesser cars, but the 18" or 19" sizes for the XLC are rather rare!

How well do the Run Flats work after a blowout!??!

Most tire problems are slow leaks or punctures. (If you find a nail in your tire, do NOT remove it!) I like the tire pump idea! By refilling a leaking tire you can often make it home or to a repair shop.

Some tire shops will come to your car to fix a tire, like they do for big trucks. Use your cell phone instead of Goo.

I recently replaced the Michelins on my wife's Azera because they were chunking. The Federal 595 is designed to not chunk.

It's like the old Firestone ad, "it's where the rubber meets the road!"! The performance of even an XLR can be greatly influenced by the tires that you choose! Don't handicap yourself with less than the best tire just to not have to stop in the unlikely event of tire trouble!!

Since a XLR or XLR-V can be very hard on tires, I think the 595 competition (non run flat) tire, www.federaltire.com/en/images/datasheet/download_brochure/595%20Competition%20Series.pdf , which is also quite inexpensive, would be the best way to go for hard charging XLR owners! Carry a little air pump and a cell phone just in case!!

Sounds like you already made up your mind. Or you're a Federal Tire salesman:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good luck with your purchase.

Sounds like you already made up your mind. Or you're a Federal Tire salesman:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You are right!! I have made up my mind! Sometimes the easiest way to convince yourself is to try to convince someone else!!!! After asking you folks about the Run Flats, your answers and further research at TireRack helped me to decide that the performance, comfort, and cost disadvantages of the Run Flats far outweigh the advantage of maybe driving on a flat tire someday!!

No, I have nothing to do with Federal Tire! While looking to upgrade from the OEM 235/55VR-17 Michelin MXV4 tires on my wife's Azera to UHP 255/50ZR-17, I discovered the Federal 595, and they are just what I am looking for: ultra high performance, comfort, and good looks at a great price!! The Tread Wear Rating is a little low, but at their price, if need be, I can afford fresh tires more frequently!

PS: I realize that most XLR owners can afford whatever tires they want, regardless of price, but they also should be looking for the best quality that they can find. Although I had never heard of them, Federal Tires has been around since 1954, and has more than a hundred national/regional representatives throughout 70+ countries.

PPS: As I indicated, "Soon, I hope!". I don't even own an XLR, but I am considering buying a used one quite seriously. As part of that research, I noticed the Run Flat feature. Therefore, the question! I have found in my 67 years that when buying anything, asking questions before beats "Oh S***!!" comments later!!

Keep the run flats

Unfortunately I had to use the run flat feature.. I was about 10 miles from home driving on the freeway at about 70 when I got the tire warning and immediately felt a loss of control.. I slowed down, pulled to the shoulder and sure enough there was a 3/8 inch lag bolt in the left rear tire. I called on star who switched me to Cadillac. They told me the tire was probably ruined but since it was a run flat just drive it under 50 to the nearest dealer or wait for roadside service . I took it to my dealer, driving on surface streets, I didnt want a problem on the freeway. One look at the bolt and the service writer said the tire was toast. Bottom line they gave me a loaner for a couple days till the tire came in. I filed a claim with Michelin and got a full refund on the tire. At slower speeds the car handled ok.

I had an other flat closer to home, again drove to the dealer, they sent me to American Tire where they fixed the flat, $15.00 and I was on my way.

To me the opportunity to get off the highway and not wait for roadside service is worth the additional cost.

Run flat tires not only give you peace of mind and an option should you have a tire problem, they also protect the wheel/wheels. If you should happen to have a tire problem with a non run flat there is a good chance an XLR maybe too low to get up on a flat bed without doing further damage to the car. XlRs are low enough,but even lower with a flat tire. A friend of ours ran over a piece of metal in the road and had both right side tires damaged. With the run flats he was able to make it to the next exit and wait for help.

Bruce :)

I would have to agree with most of the replys Fourteen got and it was good advise.
Most people haven't been up to 158 MPH like I have, but it sure felt good to know I had 'Pirelli Eufori's on my car when going that fast. My friend Hans in Germany wouldn't even dream of cutting corners driving at the speeds he drives every day. Money is no object when it comes to safety regarless of how fast you drive. I opted to go with 20" rims and of course I couldn't have run flats on 20" because they didn't make them but I've heard some company's are making them now. I run the Dunlop best rated tire with the agressive V design which grab the road like no other tire I've had on two XLR's, one being a V.
I've never even heard of the Federal 595, sounds like a highway.
I also think that most of us do look for the best quality we can find, that's why we don't have Federal 595's on our cars. This is a personal choice and some of us spend money for the darndest things and cut corners on others, myself included.
quote=cubby558;4424]Sounds like you already made up your mind. Or you're a Federal Tire salesman:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good luck with your purchase.[/quote]

Tires

I did a search on the Federal 595 and found some posts about it. This tire is made for the drifters. They wear them out in a couple of afternoons racing. Soft sidewalls and break away easily. I wouldn't use these as a spare on a colbalt. " Re: Federal 595?
HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Well, the results are in. See page 103 in the May issue of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine.

4th out of 4 in both the autocross and track trials.

"The 595RS is also said to exhibit easy breakaway characteristics, a handy feature for those in the drift scene." ..."has alot of void area and quite a bit of flex in the sidewall, which made the tire feel pretty squishy and squirmy at the limit of adhesion. "

One other factor that is important to me is Murphy. It isn't so much the fact that you may one day get a flat, it's WHERE. I must drive through a couple areas of town where I would not feel comfortable waiting for flat-top. For me, the XLR is a daily driver. I will keep run-flats on it. If it were just a parade car, I might consider something else.

One other factor that is important to me is Murphy. It isn't so much the fact that you may one day get a flat, it's WHERE. I must drive through a couple areas of town where I would not feel comfortable waiting for flat-top. For me, the XLR is a daily driver. I will keep run-flats on it. If it were just a parade car, I might consider something else.

Well said.

Bruce :)

"The 595RS is also said to exhibit easy breakaway characteristics, a handy feature for those in the drift scene."

There are three tires in the Federal Motorsports 595 Competition Series. I am referring to the 595 tire, NOT the 595RS-R tire, or the 595EVO tire! Federal Motorsports does not make a 595RS tire!! http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/datasheet/download_brochure/595 Competition Series.pdf

The 595 is "Federal's extremely successful UHP ...", an all weather summer street tire. "For those requiring flat-out performance, no other tire grips like the 595, yet still provides for the basic comforts of everyday driving.".

The 595RS-R is "a street legal competition tire with the characteristics of a slick."!!!!

The 595EVO has "the latest compound formulated for competition."!

Three very different tires, but all with 595 in their names!! :pat:

OK, Fourteen, I guess you made your point and we made ours, but we didn't yell (NOT) or underline anything to get our point across.
You asked for advise. We generally don't attack the people trying to give advise. Not nice................. Time for time out.:pat:

we didn't yell (NOT) or underline anything to get our point across. :pat:

:bash:!????!

Underline, Italics, bold, and CAPITALS are often used to EMPHASIZE: (verb: to stress, single out as important) (verb: give extra weight to (a communication)!

:confused: :love:

In texting, e-mails, blogs and forums, bold and capitals are used to show anger, yelling & screaming. At least that's how I understand it.
BTW, I do have a dictonary, but thanks for the lesson. You have a nice day.:worship:
:bash:!????!

Underline, Italics, bold, and CAPITALS are often used to EMPHASIZE: (verb: to stress, single out as important) (verb: give extra weight to (a communication)!

:confused: :love:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back