Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run flat tires

XLR tire size range guide....

So has anyone gone away from the run flats and ran normal tires? if so did you experience a better ride and performance? I am sure you get better mileage as the run flats mileage is horrible. I am looking at running regular tires instead of run flats ad would like any feedback from those of you who have

When I swapped out my factory tires I stumbled across an XLR tire range guide I'll see if I can post it to the site. It really helped be decide. It gives many different tires sizes but tells you how they'll fit... I.E. Wide, Extra wide etc. Also gives percentages on how bigger/smaller they are from OEM's.

Last edited:
I agree totally...

"There is more to life than MPG"

I have Good~Year EMT's 235x50 ZR18 on my XLR and can get home with 4 flat tires! That is important to me.
For anyone who has had a 409 or 327 with Isky, GTO 360 HP, etc, MPG does not enter into the menu.

I agree.......... I don't remember taking MPG into consideration when I purchased this new-aged hot rod....... Mileage isn't on the menu.

Ride comfort?????

Does any tire co make a low profile runflat tire?

I would imagine the ride comfort is non-existant....

Well... To each his own BUT....

I wouldn't trust that info. Many have found out the hard way that widths wider than 255 on stock rims have a high risk of rubbing.

THIS info was right on the money... I purchased a wider wheels/tires and they are perfect. No rubbing, no issues, no drama. I don't have stock wheels. It goes on to mention 20" an higher. It's not just about stock, it's about what will fit.

Last edited:
THIS info was right on the money... I purchased a wider wheels/tires and they are perfect. No rubbing, no issues, no drama. I don't have stock wheels. It goes on to mention 20" an higher. It's not just about stock, it's about what will fit.

With non-stock wheels ANY width is possible provided the offset is enough and you are willing to tolerate rubber hanging outside the fender. My point is that without changing the 61mm stock offset, which the link does not mention at all, exceeding 255 is asking for trouble.

Ignoring any of the factors that come into play when changing from the stock tire/wheel is a recipe for failure.

Way off to the left...

With non-stock wheels ANY width is possible provided the offset is enough and you are willing to tolerate rubber hanging outside the fender. My point is that without changing the 61mm stock offset, which the link does not mention at all, exceeding 255 is asking for trouble.

Ignoring any of the factors that come into play when changing from the stock tire/wheel is a recipe for failure.

This was simply a post to assist a fellow owner in making a decision on run-flats or non run-flats... Not intended to push the envelope on tire widths. This has gone way off into left field.

This was simply a post to assist a fellow owner in making a decision on run-flats or non run-flats... Not intended to push the envelope on tire widths. This has gone way off into left field.

Facts are facts no matter what the circumstance. My comments were intended to offer an opinion regarding the accuracy of the other comments and for any reader to recognize that there is disagreement and further research is justified.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom