Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run flat tires

At the risk of being redundant, I had the chance to directly compare the 18" PZeroNero Pirelli's, 19" run-flats, and the 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires when I put the "V" wheels on my '06 Base XLR.
Tim

That wasn't at all redundant - I found it really interesting! Thanks for sharing the comparison.

So did I.....

That wasn't at all redundant - I found it really interesting! Thanks for sharing the comparison.

I feel the same way because I'm at that point right now where I'm looking to possibly make switch. I'm waiting on my new "Cadillac" center caps for my Z06 wheels but I'm trying to decide on moving my tires from factory wheels to new wheels or just buying all new rubber so I'm welcoming any and all feedback.

Just a added note; for those with smart phones there's an "apt" for Iphones that allow to too input the sequence # found on the tire's side wall. I've used and it comes in handy when buying tires because you can check it on the spot. The "apt" is free.:D

Just a added note; for those with smart phones there's an "apt" for Iphones that allow to too input the sequence # found on the tire's side wall. I've used and it comes in handy when buying tires because you can check it on the spot. The "apt" is free.:D

There are quite a few, what is the name of the one you used?

What information specifically are you trying to obtain from the phone app?

There are quite a few, what is the name of the one you used?

TireSafetyGroup.com. :cool: The purpose of the app is that you can check the manufactured date of the tire in question. Also, if you have multiple cars you might forget how old the tires are on your vehicles so it's good to check them periodically or at least write that information down on the sheet of paper.

TireSafetyGroup.com. :cool: The purpose of the app is that you can check the manufactured date of the tire in question. Also, if you have multiple cars you might forget how old the tires are on your vehicles so it's good to check them periodically or at least write that information down on the sheet of paper.

Just tried it out, works great :blinzel: Thanks

run flats

So is it the feeling of those on this forum that even though I only have 12,000 miles on the original tires of my 2009 they could be out of date and need changed?

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year. Ie. if the last 4 digits of the ID are 3512 then the tire was made the 35th week of 2012. Why not just read it off the tire?

I use aCar to track maintenance, mileage and expenses on my vehicles on my phone.

There are many things to factor in when considering when to replace tires based solely on age. How well do you maintain them? Exposure to the weather, including sunlight? etc. etc. Also consider your driving habits. I would be much more picky on tires that see triple digit speeds or hard cornering. Load is also a factor, but don't think it applies much with XLRs. The effective speed rating will drop with age.

IMHO,if there are not any obvious reasons to replace I would go about 7 or 8 years. Maybe as much as 10 years or as few as 6 depending on the application and location.

poor tire ware

I'll be surprised if my michelins last more than 11.000 miles. Very poor ware on my 2006

I'll be surprised if my Michelins last more than 11,000 miles. Very poor ware on my 2006 XLR

Something's amiss, methinks. I've had good tire wear performance on my '06. When I replaced my 18" wheels, my tires still had like-new tread on them after 12K+ miles, even tho' the car needed a 4-wheel alignment (according to my dealer, Red Noland in COS). All I'd done was to rotate them (front-back, same side) every 4K miles, and I kept the tire pressure at 32 psi.

I'm sure others will chime in with 4-5 times as many miles as I've experienced. FWIW :dunno:

Tim

I'll be surprised if my michelins last more than 11.000 miles. Very poor ware on my 2006

I'll be surprised if my Michelins last more than 11,000 miles. Very poor ware on my 2006 XLR

IMHO,if there are not any obvious reasons to replace I would go about 7 or 8 years. Maybe as much as 10 years or as few as 6 depending on the application and location.

YEARS!

I'm lucky if I get half that many MONTHS out of mine. :reddevil

Fred is correct on the age issue. The general rule of thumb is 7 years but that is truly based on tires that are primarily exposed to outside weather. If a car is stored in a garage when not being driven and the tire pressure is monitored and maintained etc; that time frame of 7 years is not a 'firm' rule.

Also the driving expectations: if Gizmo had a set of 8 year old tires that had seen the 'worst case exposure' lifetime use I would guess he could rip them up in a weekend but for most of us, our cars are babied, garage kept and we are not driving them crazy hard constantly I would not worry about replacing them entirely based on age at 6-7 years but likewise would not run on 10 year old tires either.

FOR SALE: Having said all of that, I have a set of OEM run-flat take offs that have around 8500 miles on them that were removed shortly after I got my car in 2011. They have been stored indoors since then in an unheated garage. I am still in Florida so I can not check the date stamp on them. I am asking $500.00 for the set of 4 plus shipping. (I live in southern Ontario Canada but could ship from Niagara Falls, New York)

Isn't that smuggling, if you are bringing them across the border duty free! :laugh::lol::laugh:

.................................................... (I live in southern Ontario Canada but could ship from Niagara Falls, New York)

Tire Sale at the 'berg

Sandi:
What size are the tires you have for sale?
If they are 18" I am interested. Likely not 18".

Still lots of snow here and 12ºF tonite.
Gord.

Fred is correct on the age issue. The general rule of thumb is 7 years but that is truly based on tires that are primarily exposed to outside weather. If a car is stored in a garage when not being driven and the tire pressure is monitored and maintained etc; that time frame of 7 years is not a 'firm' rule.

Also the driving expectations: if Gizmo had a set of 8 year old tires that had seen the 'worst case exposure' lifetime use I would guess he could rip them up in a weekend but for most of us, our cars are babied, garage kept and we are not driving them crazy hard constantly I would not worry about replacing them entirely based on age at 6-7 years but likewise would not run on 10 year old tires either.

FOR SALE: Having said all of that, I have a set of OEM run-flat take offs that have around 8500 miles on them that were removed shortly after I got my car in 2011. They have been stored indoors since then in an unheated garage. I am still in Florida so I can not check the date stamp on them. I am asking $500.00 for the set of 4 plus shipping. (I live in southern Ontario Canada but could ship from Niagara Falls, New York)

The Porsche Carrera GT was known to be difficult to drive and very unforgiving. A very narrow "forgiveness band" with little warning of going past the envelope. Considering the number of owners, and very few miles this car had on it, I would be surprised the tires were not ate up with flat spots. If I were driving a car like this I would replace tires much more frequently. Goes back to doing what's right for the application.
[h=1]Porsche Carrera GT in Walker crash had six owners in its cross-country life - Autoweek Racing car news - Autoweek[/h]Porsche Carrera GT

Porsche Carrera GT

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back