Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run flat tires

I recently checked the Sam's Club website and it appears that the Michelin P-Zero tires that came as original equipment on Crimson Pearl are still available, and at what I consider to be a reasonable price.

I have never considered the ride on my run-flats to be harsh. It seems firm when appropriate and softer when conditions allow. I recall being able to run about 50 miles on a freshly repaved Interstate Highway shortly after I purchased Crimson Pearl and the ride was as smooth as butter. It would appear to me that the Magnetic Ride Suspension does a fine job of adjusting the ride to the current manner of driving and road surface.

I've never been shy about installing different tires on my vehicle other than what came from the factory if I thought a different tire was going to serve me better. On the other hand, if I was very well pleased with the original set of tires, I would install the same type again when replacements were required. But changing from one brand to another is rarely as different as going from a run-flat to a conventional tire!

I believe that I will keep the P-Zero Michelins on Crimson Pearl as long as they are available. I have not been unhappy with them and I do like the added security of a run-flat. I know that it is no guarantee of never having a tire problem, but it probably lowers the chances of having a problem.

I've always wonder if you would put the slime or fix a flat in a run flat if it would repair the problem longer than 50 miles that they recommend Providing the problem was like minor nail/screw hole, and not like a major repair!
The other reason I went with regular tires was the owner I been neighbors to the tire garage and good friends with for 25 years said that you can not repair a run flat and recommended replacing it with a new tire! Has anyone heard of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

That is a totally false statement, unless the damage is in the sidewall. I have seen a few run-flats repaired, same as a non-runflat.

................................................... the owner I been neighbors to the tire garage and good friends with for 25 years said that you can not repair a run flat and recommended replacing it with a new tire! Has anyone heard of this?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I think this over simplifies the complex components of automotive handling and tire features. If it was only so simple as tire profile. Tire compound and design are also major players in the tire department well beyond profile. Things like unsprung weight, drive train design, damping factors, suspension design, alignment and many, many more things come into play when looking at the total system.

[snip]

Umm, yes agreed, but those variations can be eliminated by using the same vehicle and the same compound etc. If the only differences are the aspect ratio (and hence wheel size), my very broad generalizations still apply and is how I intended them to be read. Nobody doubts for one moment that some chassis designs get round a curve better than other designs. The compromises that are any car apply in full force, I was trying to give some kind of 'keeping everything else the same, what does aspect ratio do to handling?' overview. It is easy to see vehicles that have had tires changed for appearances, I'm not sure the driver is always aware of how handling might be compromised, especially to that nice wide 'forgiveness band' safety margin.

Might I also add that technical over-steer is always and unfailingly very dangerous. Technical (or true) over-steer is not the same thing as power-sliding the back end (which is a lot of fun). In technical over-steer, there is no skidding at all. In technical over-steer as you reduce the steering input, the vehicle's turning rate increases (hence why it is called over-steer). It is not controlled by your foot on the gas pedal. Basically your ride is doing the opposite of what you are commanding. It quickly leads to a potentially lethal situation. Technical over-steer is likely (almost always?) caused by incorrectly setting up the chassis (additionally, a poor front/rear tire combination could worsen an already compromised chassis set up), either or both leading to over-steer behavior under certain conditions. I suggest never, ever fit a stiffer rear anti-sway bar compared to the front anti-sway bar.

Last edited:
I am astounded by most of the concepts expressed in this thread.

But then, I have learned over time that you never grow old until you lose your capacity to be astonished so I am invigorated.

That said I hope you will ponder the following:

1. Your car was designed by a team of world class engineers and stylists at the largest auto maker in the world.

2. It is one of very few cars ever made that is essentially timeless. Anyone who sees it will never realize that it is between 5 and 10 years old.

3. It was built with technologies so advanced for their time that many manufacturers have never yet offered them. In fact, the Magnetic Ride suspension on your XLR is a $27,000 option on the Mercedes AMG.

4. Your car was tested on the most trying venues in the world under the most harrowing conditions imaginable by a team of test drivers who took it to places you will never experience.

5. The suspension and tires are the result of a combination of the very best chassis and tire engineers anywhere to deliver PROVEN performance under very exacting specifications.

6. Unless you are Michael Shumacher, the XLR is more than capable of giving far more than you will ever be able to take.

7. To think that you can improve any aspect of this incredible car after the millions and millions of dollars spent to create it is ludicrous.

8. And finally do you REALLY think a jack and a can of fix-a-flat will get you home after a 100 MPH blowout?

It is what it is for all of the right reasons.

Enjoy.

May the ranting begin.

AMEN!!!!

Run Flat Tires

I am astounded by most of the concepts expressed in this thread.

But then, I have learned over time that you never grow old until you lose your capacity to be astonished so I am invigorated.

That said I hope you will ponder the following:

1. Your car was designed by a team of world class engineers and stylists at the largest auto maker in the world.

2. It is one of very few cars ever made that is essentially timeless. Anyone who sees it will never realize that it is between 5 and 10 years old.

3. It was built with technologies so advanced for their time that many manufacturers have never yet offered them. In fact, the Magnetic Ride suspension on your XLR is a $27,000 option on the Mercedes AMG.

4. Your car was tested on the most trying venues in the world under the most harrowing conditions imaginable by a team of test drivers who took it to places you will never experience.

5. The suspension and tires are the result of a combination of the very best chassis and tire engineers anywhere to deliver PROVEN performance under very exacting specifications.

6. Unless you are Michael Shumacher, the XLR is more than capable of giving far more than you will ever be able to take.

7. To think that you can improve any aspect of this incredible car after the millions and millions of dollars spent to create it is ludicrous.

8. And finally do you REALLY think a jack and a can of fix-a-flat will get you home after a 100 MPH blowout?

It is what it is for all of the right reasons.

Enjoy.

May the ranting begin.

You make a strong arguement Buki. Thanks

Got new shoes for my baby. I went with non-flats. Pilot Super Sports, stock size on the rear, but went with 245/40-19 on the front. Haven't drove on them much yet, but what I have driven with them, they do seem quieter and smooth than the run flats! These are sticky tires!! You don't want to turn the steering wheel without the car moving.

My CTS-V had those on it. If you think those are sticky, you should see the Bridgestone RE-11's in action! Put those on it last summer, they really bite! Don't think the treadwear will be worth a cr*p though!

I'm leaning toward the Michelin PSS's on the XLR-V when it comes time.

Got new shoes for my baby. I went with non-flats. Pilot Super Sports, stock size on the rear, but went with 245/40-19 on the front. Haven't drove on them much yet, but what I have driven with them, they do seem quieter and smooth than the run flats! These are sticky tires!! You don't want to turn the steering wheel without the car moving.

That's the same tire I put on Roxy yes they are a nice sticky tire but only 30 k tire for the cost not a lot of miles tire!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

My CTS-V had those on it. If you think those are sticky, you should see the Bridgestone RE-11's in action! Put those on it last summer, they really bite! Don't think the treadwear will be worth a cr*p though!

I'm leaning toward the Michelin PSS's on the XLR-V when it comes time.

I agree on the RE-11s. Had them on a different car and loved them. Wish they came in a size for the XLR-V.

I personally had a set of P-Rosso's on my work car (I know what you're thinking, "work car":D) and suffered a blow-out while on the hwy. The tire bead separated at the lip of the rim. Why? The rubber dryed out. The tires had plenty of meat on them, but it didn't matter. Once a tire reaches it 7-year mark it's only a matter of time before something happens. :pat: I replaced them and are now used as car cover holders in the back yard.:lol: I know my garderners are eye balling them and wondering, "why on earth does this guy use good looking tires as placement holders?", but if stolen they will suffer the same as me.:chuckle Also, from others that I know whom uses P-tires the rubber hardens more so than other brands.

Here's the pictures of the P-rosso tire that blow out. Dry rotted.:mad:

31060_.jpg

31061_.jpg

245/30/19

I checked the date on the tire using the Tire Fact apt and currently the tires are 10 yrs,10 weeks old, but at the time of blow out it was Aug 2012 and I had lots of tread left on the tires. I roll now with Nitto Invo on all corners in the work car now.:cool:

Last edited:
Here's the pictures of the P-rosso tire that blow out. Dry rotted.:mad:

31060_.jpg

31061_.jpg

245/30/19

I checked the date on the tire using the Tire Fact apt and currently the tires are 10 yrs,10 weeks old, but at the time of blow out it was Aug 2012 and I had lots of tread left on the tires. I roll now with Nitto Invo on all corners in the work car now.:cool:

Made the 2nd week of 2004. Certainly does not appear to be a dry rot issue to me.

Yes. 2004 is 10 years and 10 weeks old which was (at the time) in 2012 making it 8-years old at the time of blow out. Although the pictures don't reveal it, but the rubber was hard to the touch (brittle). I was able to pull over to the side of the highway, but hit a small bump and slightly bent the rim. Later I had the rim fixed in Anahiem, CA at a wheel shop for $75 or so. Currently, I have 275/30/19 on the wheels. In the defense of the tire and company the hwy was under construction with minor issues (no pot holes) and it was while driving is when the blow out occured. I heard a sound like it was coming from a big rig truck when it releases air pressure. I thought for a quick moment thinking to myself, "Hey, that must be coming from a truck." It was then that I realised it was my own car.:rolleyes::bash:

I can see that when whoever installed the tire didn't have the tire positioned right when they hit the spin pedal,and the tire iron gashing the bead. Which in return compromised the bead and poof. Whatever the case you were out some tires. No good

Bridgestone Drive Guard Grand Touring Run Flats

I need to change out my Michelin run flats on base 05 Raven. Been reading diff. reviews. On tire rack's website , search the run flats only for your xlr, and ck. reviews on the Bridgestone drive guards , All favorable reviews, and a reasonable price with hazard Ins. I'm not buying from Tire Rack, but will order tomorrow from America's Tire. This will be my 8th set in 10 years purchased from America's Tire . I highly recommend them.. Most reviewers felt the tire ran as smooth as a regular tire.
Just put new cocoa mats in Raven from cocoa mats. com (awesome service and quality, by the way),
Can't wait to drive Raven next week with his NEW SHOES on !!!

Run flat

Hey guys, if you do not have run flat and have a flat what do you do. No jack, no wrench & vehicle so low to ground you cannot get a jack under it if you had one that's is on reason I say go with tire that comes on it. in my area I have seen one other XLR' but bunches of Vett's . I take mine to local Chevy dealer & the Vet mechanic services it. He stated the Vet owners prefer the run flat by Goodyear. Better ware and can find a Goodyear dealer anywhere. Has anyone had their XLR towed? Also does yours have tow hooks?

Run Flats.

I need to change out my Michelin run flats on base 05 Raven. Been reading diff. reviews. On tire rack's website , search the run flats only for your xlr, and ck. reviews on the Bridgestone drive guards , All favorable reviews, and a reasonable price with hazard Ins. I'm not buying from Tire Rack, but will order tomorrow from America's Tire. This will be my 8th set in 10 years purchased from America's Tire . I highly recommend them.. Most reviewers felt the tire ran as smooth as a regular tire.
Just put new cocoa mats in Raven from cocoa mats. com (awesome service and quality, by the way),
I have always expected the best and prepared for the worst. I bought new Good~Year 235x50ZR18 EMT tires when I purchased my 2008 XLR.
I kept the best 2 of the take off's and they are really heavy. I like a firm ride and am more comfortable with knowing I can make it home with no spare on 1 flat or 4 of them!
That is a lot of tires for you in 10 years!

Mileage

So has anyone gone away from the run flats and ran normal tires? if so did you experience a better ride and performance? I am sure you get better mileage as the run flats mileage is horrible. I am looking at running regular tires instead of run flats ad would like any feedback from those of you who have

"There is more to life than MPG"

I have Good~Year EMT's 235x50 ZR18 on my XLR and can get home with 4 flat tires! That is important to me.
For anyone who has had a 409 or 327 with Isky, GTO 360 HP, etc, MPG does not enter into the menu.

Hey guys, if you do not have run flat and have a flat what do you do. No jack, no wrench & vehicle so low to ground you cannot get a jack under it if you had one that's is on reason I say go with tire that comes on it. in my area I have seen one other XLR' but bunches of Vett's . I take mine to local Chevy dealer & the Vet mechanic services it. He stated the Vet owners prefer the run flat by Goodyear. Better ware and can find a Goodyear dealer anywhere. Has anyone had their XLR towed? Also does yours have tow hooks?

I gave up on poor performing run-flats long ago. I have a plug kit and a small compressor and a cell phone to call emergency road service. The ride and performance gains are well worth the risk to me. It's been decades since I've had anything other than a slow leaker on any vehicle. That's not to say it couldn't happen tomorrow. It's all about the calculated risk v. the gains. Not to mention the fact that finding ANY run-flat tire to fit a V is getting harder and harder to do while your selection of high performance summer tires is much broader.

Rollbacks are highly recommended if you ever need to get a disabled car in, tow hooks not required.

Last edited:
Bridgestone drive Guard run-flats....

I just purchased a set of the DriveGuards by Bridgestone (2 weeks ago) and I have to admit they feel really good. I removed the factory Michelins which by the way still have quite a bit of tread left but I upgraded to a slightly wider wheel so I felt more comfortable with a wider/newer tire. I got them thru Discount tire's ebay site which gave me a $100.00 instant rebate ($770 for the set) and free shipping and I got them installed at a local Discount tire location. They have a much better ride than the factory set. I wrestled with the non-runflat dilemma as well but couldn't bring myself to do away with the safety factor.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back