Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Ruts in the Road affect car a lot

L

Lone Ranger

Hello,

New owner of an 05 XLR. I test drove two XLR's, an 04 and 05. Both of them seem to get caught in ruts of the road and seem like the rear end gets out of whack from the front end. Since both cars did it, I am assuming this is normal.

I am also thinking that I have a busted motor mount, which might be affecting handling. My car is running on Michellin Run Flats and they are all at 30 PSI. I also am coming out of an S2000 that had a razor sharp suspension and cornered like a race car. Am I highly sensitive? I have read that adding a rear sway bar improves cornering and that modification is on my short list to do. I just can't imagine a Cadillac handling bumps/ruts in the road like this and the customer base being happy with it.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

High Yo Silver Away
Bill

Hello,

New owner of an 05 XLR. I test drove two XLR's, an 04 and 05. Both of them seem to get caught in ruts of the road and seem like the rear end gets out of whack from the front end. My car is running on Michellin Run Flats and they are all at 30 PSI. I also am coming out of an S2000 that had a razor sharp suspension and cornered like a race car. Am I highly sensitive?

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

High Yo Silver Away
Bill

Welcome to the Experience!! I have a 2006 and previously a 2004. You will find lots of opinions on here!! Mine is to get a rear sway bar and get rid of the runs flats. Run flats are horrible (my opinion)

Enjoy the car,
Casey

Hi Casey

I hope the rear sway bar does the trick. Dropping hints to Mrs. Santa that would be the perfect gift for me. Maybe it will work.

Bill

I've not noticed any handling problems with my '07 with run flats. I installed the rear sway bar a couple years ago and it does make a difference; but even without the sway bar, I don't remember any problems with tracking in the ruts of the road.

You may find that this is an inherent characteristic of the car. My 1990 ZR-1 tramlines very easily due to the wider tires. My 2008 BMW 335xi has runflat tires and they are God awful.

Runflats have very thick sidewalls, so they are noisy by nature and tend to tramline easily as well. My BMW tends to tramline as much if not more so than the ZR-1.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hi Rob,

I did some google searching last night on run flats I think that they are probably are my root cause. Having read someone else's post about bumping the PSI to 35 made a world of difference on my drive into the city this morning. I know Cadillac recommends 30 PSI, but I will investigate this further. At least I have isolated the cause, and new non-run flat tires are probably in my future.

Bill

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back