Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Screen Color

durkin

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Silver XLR
Is it possible to change the color of the audio control screen? The blue buttons look terrible in my black interior. Black and white would be o.k.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, with caveats.

To change the screen color, you need to connect a protocol analyzer to the data bus and probe until you find the data packets that pertain to the infotainment system display. Each component on the bus has a unique ID that tells the system who they are. By changing different values for the Infotainment system, it's possible to determine what word controls the color of the icons on the screen. After that, you need to be able to change the firmware with the corrected values within the component. (ie: burning new PROMS.) So while it isn't impossible, it's a lot of work.

Remember the guy who wanted to connect the Valentine 1 to the HUD display? He showed a Corvette-based prototype that might have had XLR compatiblility awhile back and then the whole project went dead. There are others who talk about dropping a new engine into the XLR, but I have yet to hear anything beyond wishful thinking. It's do-able, but the work to get the system software to work with a different drivetrain and all the other sub-systems it needs to interface with in a reliable manner is out of the price range of most people. The XLR is a sophisticated, integrated system and few people have a full appreciation or thorough understanding what that really entails. Mechanisms are pretty straightforward. Control systems require a lot of expertise and very thorough testing. Integrating the two to create something you want to entrust your life or those of your loved ones to is something else entirely. All you need is a glitch in the system when changing the volume that activates the anti-lock brakes, and it's lawsuit city.

CC :wave:

I can customize the look of a cheap cell phone, but not a $70,000 (new) car. One of the reasons GM went belly-up. The GPS navigation system does not work here in Hawaii, or Alaska either. If I can find someone who knows how to do it, I will put in an after-market unit.

Customized display color options appear to be targeted toward different demographics. More and more late-model vehicles (usually, but not always) marketed toward younger buyers feature different colored displays. Cell phones are no exception. Younger buyers expect to be able to customize their products to suit their tastes. Autos manufacturers are slowly realizing this.

Hawaii and Alaska suffer from less-than-optimal product options due to their more remote locations and smaller market share. As you are well aware, just about everything costs more in Hawaii (except poi.) Paradise has its higher price of admission unfortunately.

I agree. Aftermarket GPS/Stereo systems are far superior to what GM installs. While my XLR's Nav system is adequate for me, my handheld Garmin blows it away, -and for a heck of a lot less. I can update it online and don't have to deal with $200 DVD-based upgrades. I'm surprised GM doesn't subcontract Garmin, etc to design their Nav systems, since that's all they do and they do it exceedingly well. Cadillac owners expect the best option packages available.

If you've read the many posts available regarding aftermarket stereo installations, you'll notice one common thread: Functionality with the existing switches on the steering wheel and HUD is a hit-or-miss proposition, depending on the skill of the installer and compatibility of the hardware being installed. By its nature, the XLR is a difficult vehicle to interface with properly. Not impossible, just harder. Until a standard peripheral and hardware interface protocol is adopted by the vehicle manufacturers, (and that's doubtful anytime soon) true plug-and-play functionality for aftermarket products is going to make it a challenge to upgrade vehicles like ours.

If you've read the many posts available regarding aftermarket stereo installations, you'll notice one common thread: Functionality with the existing switches on the steering wheel and HUD is a hit-or-miss proposition, depending on the skill of the installer and compatibility of the hardware being installed. By its nature, the XLR is a difficult vehicle to interface with properly. Not impossible, just harder. Until a standard peripheral and hardware interface protocol is adopted by the vehicle manufacturers, (and that's doubtful anytime soon) true plug-and-play functionality for aftermarket products is going to make it a challenge to upgrade vehicles like ours.

Can you please let us know which aftermarket headunits work on the XLR ? Do you know if the C6 headunit will fit/work ?

Thanks in advance.

CADILLAC EMBLEM ON SCREEN WHILE DRIVING

How come sometimes my screen will show the Cadillac emblem while driving with the sound on? I prefer to show the emblem instead of the radio or nav. I can see the radio station or CD # through the HUD. Any ideas? I think if I shift from P to D real fast it keeps the emblem on the screen.

How come sometimes my screen will show the Cadillac emblem while driving with the sound on? I prefer to show the emblem instead of the radio or nav. I can see the radio station or CD # through the HUD. Any ideas? I think if I shift from P to D real fast it keeps the emblem on the screen.

This happens on my 06 V... when I'm in NAV mode and do not press the agree button on the screen it will go to the Caddy emblem and stay there.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom