Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

shift cable

ald42

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
05 xlr satin nickle
Hi, today I changed the shift cable in my xlr. it was not broken but at almost 10 yrs old? I'm very pro maint. don't wait for things to break or wearout. the cable is well made it's the cheap plastic grommets on each end, with the heat in the tunnel I think they dryout and fail? this is much more a problem on the corvette forums.the dealer wanted $450 so I decided to tackle it. not to bad a job just tight spaces to work in,took about 4 hrs. just posting this so if anyone wanted to do this I would be glad to help w/ advice or tips/shortcuts. Al :)

Hi, today I changed the shift cable in my xlr. it was not broken but at almost 10 yrs old? I'm very pro maint. don't wait for things to break or wearout. the cable is well made it's the cheap plastic grommets on each end, with the heat in the tunnel I think they dryout and fail? this is much more a problem on the corvette forums.the dealer wanted $450 so I decided to tackle it. not to bad a job just tight spaces to work in,took about 4 hrs. just posting this so if anyone wanted to do this I would be glad to help w/ advice or tips/shortcuts. Al :)

Nice work there, Al. :worship:

I've never seen the part, but was wondering if the old cable showed any signs of deterioration. :confused: Is it the enclosed type, like a motorcycle throttle/clutch cable? If so, did it still move freely; i.e., did the internal cable lubrication still work OK?

Valuable stuff, Al. Thanks.

Tim

Nice work there, Al. :worship:

I've never seen the part, but was wondering if the old cable showed any signs of deterioration. :confused: Is it the enclosed type, like a motorcycle throttle/clutch cable? If so, did it still move freely; i.e., did the internal cable lubrication still work OK?

Valuable stuff, Al. Thanks.

Tim

Hi Tim, the cable is the enclosed type and well made EXCEPT for the plastic grommets/bushings on each end,they snap on the ball studs of the shift and trans leavers. when they fail the shift lever will move freely but will not engage any gears. I replaced mine as preventive maint. it didn't break. BUT the plastic grommets/bushings were very brittle!! I don't think there is any lube in the cable? my cost for the cable was $70. later, Al:)

Good idea Al - think the V might be ready for that here.

Did you put it up on a lift to do it? Mike watched them fix mine after it broke & said there were a TON of screws to take out so it'd be tough to do just with ramps.

How does your shifter feel & gear indicator lights work now? Mine has been loose since the dealer fixed it & I sometimes have to jiggle it to get the gear light to light up (that's on a "TLC" fix list for Beauty when we have time for a dealer visit). I'm assuming since you did it yourself that it's a better job!

Agree on the problems with the plastic - it's gonna go after time & heat!

Tim - here's a link to a thread I made when mine broke that has pictures of the cable & what broke on it: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ures-to-follow.html?highlight=happened+beauty. In case that's helpful!

Al just wondering if the new cable is the same or did they upgrade the plastic parts, also while I m chatting to you I believe you said on the BG trip you change out you upper grill to a chrome style. If so do you have info on where and cost of replacement?
Thx Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

<snip>

Tim - here's a link to a thread I made when mine broke that has pictures of the cable & what broke on it: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ures-to-follow.html?highlight=happened+beauty. In case that's helpful!

Thanks, Amy. That's a BIG help. I really hate the plastic parts. I've seen teflon timing gears break on otherwise pristine motorcycles. As an engineer, it makes me ill. :pukeface:

Sideline Alert! I once was on a flight seated next to a Detroit auto engineer. His ENTIRE job was to save $5/car every year. It didn't really matter much how he accomplished it, but if he found $5 lying around, he could coast the rest of the year. Didn't matter if it happened to be in materials, labor, productivity, source pricing, etc., just save $5/car. Kinda makes sense when one multiplies it all out. :dunno:

Tim

Thanks, Amy. That's a BIG help. I really hate the plastic parts. I've seen teflon timing gears break on otherwise pristine motorcycles. As an engineer, it makes me ill. :pukeface:

Sideline Alert! I once was on a flight seated next to a Detroit auto engineer. His ENTIRE job was to save $5/car every year. It didn't really matter much how he accomplished it, but if he found $5 lying around, he could coast the rest of the year. Didn't matter if it happened to be in materials, labor, productivity, source pricing, etc., just save $5/car. Kinda makes sense when one multiplies it all out. :dunno:

Tim

I thought that was a pretty stupid place to put a plastic part, but that might be where they found the $5. :smash:

That said, Mike has decided he might pick up a couple extra cables to have on hand ...

Good idea Al - think the V might be ready for that here.

Did you put it up on a lift to do it? Mike watched them fix mine after it broke & said there were a TON of screws to take out so it'd be tough to do just with ramps.

How does your shifter feel & gear indicator lights work now? Mine has been loose since the dealer fixed it & I sometimes have to jiggle it to get the gear light to light up (that's on a "TLC" fix list for Beauty when we have time for a dealer visit). I'm assuming since you did it yourself that it's a better job!

Agree on the problems with the plastic - it's gonna go after time & heat

Hi Ami,easier for me laying down on jack stands( I'm old/no lift),4 nuts at front pipe,slide pipe aside don't remove them,36 8mm bolts and remove tunnel plate, easy, now you have access to cable. YOUR PROBLEM is the cable has an adjustment @ the trans. end and has to much slack in it,needs to be corrected IF everything is correct? Al:)

Last edited:
I thought that was a pretty stupid place to put a plastic part, but that might be where they found the $5. :smash:

That said, Mike has decided he might pick up a couple extra cables to have on hand ...

bean counters:dunno::dunno: I suggest if Mike is buying a cable get/ have it installed BEFORE it breakes, I think this is something he could. do :) Al

Last edited:
Al just wondering if the new cable is the same or did they upgrade the plastic parts, also while I m chatting to you I believe you said on the BG trip you change out you upper grill to a chrome style. If so do you have info on where and cost of replacement?
Thx Dan

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"
Hi Dan,the cable is the same,it's made very well,it's the bushing on each end. the grill is from a 07 platinum edition.you have to remove the front bumper w/grille to replace, about $450?for the grille @ the dealer, not sure it was worth it?? :)

Last edited:
Thx Al I seen some videos on new paint that looks like chrome done with spray cans or air brush unit! I may look into trying that I spray painted for about 13 yrs for a job years ago plus use to spray some cars so I think my memory may go back to that?? Lol at the prices I got on line are around $440 for a grill!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Thx Al I seen some videos on new paint that looks like chrome done with spray cans or air brush unit! I may look into trying that I spray painted for about 13 yrs for a job years ago plus use to spray some cars so I think my memory may go back to that?? Lol at the prices I got on line are around $440 for a grill!

Good luck with "rattle can" chrome paint, Dan. I've tried three different brands on my "V" grille I made for my Eldorado.

and none of them are worth the tin can they came in. Even if it does stick and maintain its sheen, that paint can't handle the abuse of the front of the car, i.e., bugs, rocks, sun...

I even got my Eldorado grill surround electroplated specifically for plastic products and it barely lasted a year.

Hi Ami,easier for me laying down on jack stands( I'm old/no lift),4 nuts at front pipe,slide pipe aside don't remove them,36 8mm bolts and remove tunnel plate, easy, now you have access to cable. YOUR PROBLEM is the cable has an adjustment @ the trans. end and has to much slack in it,needs to be corrected IF everything is correct? Al:)

Thanks Al for giving me some DIRECTION! :wave:

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

By the way, if you get the chrome grill, the bottom strip (right above the bumper) will need to be painted to match your car. So, you still may have a chance to make use of your spray painting skills!

By the way, if you get the chrome grill, the bottom strip (right above the bumper) will need to be painted to match your car. So, you still may have a chance to make use of your spray painting skills!

Well at the price I think your right! I don't think it's worth it so I may end up painting the one that on her now! Thanks for let me know that anyways!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

good point Amy but dan's car is silver and when you order you need to state a color, he can order an 07 in silver/saves painting. I had to paint mine,no satin nickel in 06 and up. later,Al :)

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back