Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

shifter cable

hawkeye372

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infrared xlr
My day has started out so so. My baby has a problem So I pressed Onstar and spoke to a advisor. I told them my problem. Which was I started it up and shifted to drive. Except the car thought I shifted to reverse. So I shifted to reverse. So when I had it in drive the car started backing up so I shifted back to park and turned the car off. When I did I left my foot on brake and it coasted forward. Not a good sign. So I had my neighbor come over and help me push the emergency brake down. Because I didn't want to leave the brake pedal. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433955072.276359.jpgso I'm now at my dealer and saw this 04 base. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433955147.590814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your shifter cable broke. Hopefully their is stock available.

My day has started out so so. My baby has a problem So I pressed Onstar and spoke to a advisor. I told them my problem. Which was I started it up and shifted to drive. Except the car thought I shifted to reverse. So I shifted to reverse. So when I had it in drive the car started backing up so I shifted back to park and turned the car off. When I did I left my foot on brake and it coasted forward. Not a good sign. So I had my neighbor come over and help me push the emergency brake down. Because I didn't want to leave the brake pedal. View attachment 5350so I'm now at my dealer and saw this 04 base. View attachment 5351

Sounds like your shifter cable broke. Hopefully their is stock available.

Yes they did find out it was the shifter cable. My service guy is looking to see if my warranty will cover it. So he had one of their employees drive me home. Because my car is adapted I can only drive a adapted for me vehicle.
This happens right at the day or 2 before I was planing on taking it in for my oil change.

Hey Cubby you don't happen to have that shifter cable replacement number do you for my 2005? Does anyone know if they changed the style of the replacement cable? Roxy had 53k when I bought her and from all news here I'm thinking of selfing cable just for back up. She got 87k now and Hawkeyes say his just broke at 40k so somewhere in time before I purchased her she may of been changed already! Who knows, buts I did not see that in the paperwork though that came with her! Thx!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Part # for the shifter cable for 2004, 2005 and 2006 base XLR's is: 12569499 $52.55 from gmpartsdirect.com

Part # for the cable for 2006 V model and all 2007, 2008 & 2009 models (All) is: 10347385 $45.80 from gmpartsdirect.com

Hey Cubby you don't happen to have that shifter cable replacement number do you for my 2005? Does anyone know if they changed the style of the replacement cable? Roxy had 53k when I bought her and from all news here I'm thinking of selfing cable just for back up. She got 87k now and Hawkeyes say his just broke at 40k so somewhere in time before I purchased her she may of been changed already! Who knows, buts I did not see that in the paperwork though that came with her! Thx!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

attachment.php

Not something one wants to see,,,,their car on a tow bed....

Is this cable breaking a common XLR problem?

It happened to mine - my understanding is it's common to XLR's & Corvettes from that time period.

The end attachments are plastic & over time it appears they are becoming brittle & breaking.

attachment.php

My service guy said these are common

Well 2 days of breakdowns. Yesterday was a sad pic day. Today was a better day because I didn't have to call for a tow. Luckily my dealer is only 5 miles down the road. Because last night (7:30 pm) my check engine light went on. So I brought her home safely. But 1 st thing in the morning drove her in to the doctor office (aka dealership) ended up being the heater coil or heater something. My dealer was talking fast. So all I heard was heater and software upgrade. So this too was covered by extended warranty. So I have till mid 2017 or 86758 miles. Which ever comes first. I have now just over 42k on the clock. My service guy said if I didn't have the warranty then my bill would be around 10 k by now.

Double, possible,,,,trouble....

It happened to mine -

my understanding is it's common to XLR's & Corvettes from that time period.

The end attachments are plastic & over time it appears they are becoming brittle & breaking.

In other words,,,,plastic crap that doesn't hold up over time.. Since we also own a 2005 Corvette, it would seem

the odds are leaning against us to have this problem in the near future. Guess ordering the cable part # ahead of time

would be a wise decision to keep on hand. Thanks for the replys..

p z

Better to b safe then sorry. Lucky for me I wasn't on the highway when mine went out.

In other words,,,,plastic crap that doesn't hold up over time.. Since we also own a 2005 Corvette, it would seem

the odds are leaning against us to have this problem in the near future. Guess ordering the cable part # ahead of time

would be a wise decision to keep on hand. Thanks for the replys..

p z
I was thinking the same thing. Problem is that they were likely produced 6-10 years ago so the plastic will age in any event, although perhaps not exposed to as much heat. Possibly the ends can be modified. Keep the broken ones guys and send in a photo of the problem please.

Yes possible modification but also maybe the new cables are made different???

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I was thinking the same thing. Problem is that they were likely produced 6-10 years ago so the plastic will age in any event, although perhaps not exposed to as much heat. Possibly the ends can be modified. Keep the broken ones guys and send in a photo of the problem please.

Here is a link to a thread with pictures of mine (hopefully the link will work better than the last time I posted a link): https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...anny-pictures-to-follow.html?highlight=Beauty

We bought a couple of extra cables. I think Gizmo looked into trying to get a shop to make a sturdier one but that didn't work out. Given that it's a problem with Corvettes too & there are more of them, that might lead to making of newer/better ones.

In case the link doesn't work, here's a picture of new vs. old. The yellowed half moon is all that was left of the nice new white grommet you see on the new one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 536
It happened to mine - my understanding is it's common to XLR's & Corvettes from that time period.

Yes my grandpa had his repaired and it broke again 2 hours later and 3 uses

Looks like the plastic ring hit it's use by Expiration Date..

Last edited:
dealer

Yes my grandpa had his repaired and it broke again 2 hours later and 3 uses

Looks like the plastic ring hit it's use by Expiration Date..

GM parts sold thru the dealer have a warranty. If it actually broke then your dealer should have no problem replacing it at their costs. There should be no charge to you as it may be either a part failure or improper installation. I like the repair bushings better than the new cable.

GM parts sold thru the dealer have a warranty. If it actually broke then your dealer should have no problem replacing it at their costs. There should be no charge to you as it may be either a part failure or improper installation. I like the repair bushings better than the new cable.
yeah they admitted the mistake was made on the installation of the cable

attachment.php

Well the one I worked on did. Cost me $700.00 just for the cable used not yet have the install amount and had to buy it thru Ebay as new does not exist. Really hard to believe no one has the after market for any thing on these cars!

Well the one I worked on did. Cost me $700.00 just for the cable used not yet have the install amount and had to buy it thru Ebay as new does not exist. Really hard to believe no one has the after market for any thing on these cars!
Well if you bought it from a certain nc business for 700 you got rpped off. It most likly is just an old used cabke. I sell them for 150$ as listed on here and have not sold one in years because people just put the ends on them and they are good to go. i would love a photo of your damaged one. Also there are two cables . they dont interchange. 04-05 and 06-09 i sent you a pm

Hey mickey how the hell do I get the pm?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom