Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Significance of this number?

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
While hand washing Crimson Pearl Sunday afternoon, I discovered this marking on the front inside lip of the driver's side rear wheel well.

Clearly it is a "194". This number does not appear at any point in the VIN number for the car.

Does anyone know if this is a sequence number or production number and possibly has been on there since the time it was built?

MVC-007F-2.jpg

Odd... mine has no number there at all. It is clearly hand written; I'm surprised it's there after all the washings.

Odd... mine has no number there at all. It is clearly hand written; I'm surprised it's there after all the washings.

It appears to be written in grease pencil, once I spotted it, I made NO effort to wash it away.

And though it is a bit embarassing to admit this, I don't think the car has been washed that much. It has less than 9000 miles on it and has always been garaged. Prior to last Sunday, it was last washed in November of 2009.

Except for a little dust and pollen, it didn't really need washing on Sunday!

I have read where Corvettes have all types of markings that are made on the production line, and I wonder if this is what this is?

On my '07, I have a lot of grease pencil writing on the inside of the wheel wells. They're still there, and I wash the car a lot. But I don't have any markings on a body part like that!

i would guess its from when the cars come down the line they are givin a csn number which lets the line operator know which car gets which part your cars last three of the csn were 194 csn is not the same as a vin number i had the grand tour of the bowling green plant atleast 7 times my mom retired from there and we work for gm so they give you a better tour then the general tour.

i would guess its from when the cars come down the line they are givin a csn number which lets the line operator know which car gets which part your cars last three of the csn were 194 csn is not the same as a vin number i had the grand tour of the bowling green plant atleast 7 times my mom retired from there and we work for gm so they give you a better tour then the general tour.
That's interesting about the numbering ...

We had a GREAT tour also - but I think the best part was when we got to drive on the Squeek & Rattle course ..... I was so excited that I forgot to listen for any ... lol .... We were a very priviledged group invited by GM, and I don't think there will ever be a time in history when Cadillac will duplicate that hosted event for their customers. The XLR is a very unique and exclusive part of GM history - and I think the group of us that came together on our own is very unique also ... It's amazing to me that the industry is just now installing options on their cars that were standard items on the XLR ... like cooling seats. And that's from technology created at the least 7 or 8 years ago.

BTW that course is akin to the roads in Oklahoma ... ;-)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom